Bradford and the passing game.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we're talking about the same play, then he didn't have that extra second for Quick to release.

I think he had it. He actually did a really nice job of sliding in the pocket to buy the time on the play imo. If he hadn't slid, he wouldn't have had time.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think we all agree in his first game back he looked good and gave us all hope for the season.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
I think he had it. He actually did a really nice job of sliding in the pocket to buy the time on the play imo. If he hadn't slid, he wouldn't have had time.
Looks like GN was playing man on the strong side with deep safety help, and on weak side (Quick's side) they were likely in cover-2, hybrid coverage. Sam did slide up and it seemed he was looking deep, but checked it down, maybe RB makes one guy miss and they get 1st down. What's hard to tell is if the 1/2 field safety was sitting on Quick up there. Possible Sam saw enough and knew that checkdown was best possible chance for first down. I dunno. That's my best guess.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
wow, on one of those throws he was running backwards and threw a bullet to Kendricks. That's strength.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Bradford played great. The scrub OL looked terrible. Rams need to invest more in the interior OL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Looked at it again, and you're right. He would have had to have thrown a bullet with the safety coming down, but that's not a difficult throw for him.

FRO

Legend
I was at the game. He needs to make that Britt play. Outside of that there isn't much to really cry about. A lot of the short stuff early looked to be by design. The down field stuff on those plays were covered well anyhow. The Quick play was great. What a nice catch. To me from my vantage point the Kendricks pass was more impressive. He really fired that ball into a tight spot. I would give Bradford an A- . If our starting offensive line can stay healthy our offense will be fine. You would have to imagine Saffold and Robinson at OG will cause you to have a great run game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Bradford played great. The scrub OL looked terrible. Rams need to invest more in the interior OL.

You mean more than having your starting Guards not playing? People still seem to understand the trickle down effect that having to move guys (Joseph and Person) starting has on the rest of the depth.

Now, insert Saffold at RG, Long at LT, which now moves Robinson back to LG, and the 2nd Unit doesn't look so bad, when Joseph and Bond are your guards. With Barnes at Center.

As bad as Hooey looked at LT, he played ok at RT. which is where has has gotten ALL of if reps in training camp, and would be at worse the FIFTH option at LT. So I for one, am not worried about Sean Hooey showing up at LT in any single game this season.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
You mean more than having your starting Guards not playing? People still seem to understand the trickle down effect that having to move guys (Joseph and Person) starting has on the rest of the depth.

Now, insert Saffold at RG, Long at LT, which now moves Robinson back to LG, and the 2nd Unit doesn't look so bad, when Joseph and Bond are your guards. With Barnes at Center.

As bad as Hooey looked at LT, he played ok at RT. which is where has has gotten ALL of if reps in training camp, and would be at worse the FIFTH option at LT. So I for one, am not worried about Sean Hooey showing up at LT in any single game this season.
You are correct in that the projected starters SHOULD play well. My opinion is that the Rams need to invest a early draft pick or two next year and shore up the depth.

FRO

Legend

I'm fine with Joseph, Barnes, and Person as our backups. I'm just not sure if our 10th or 11th lineman is on the squad.

FRO

Legend
You are correct in that the projected starters SHOULD play well. My opinion is that the Rams need to invest a early draft pick or two next year and shore up the depth.
Yeah I agree. Drafting offensive linemen early will be a priority. I think you should pick offensive linemen in every draft.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm fine with Joseph, Barnes, and Person as our backups. I'm just not sure if our 10th or 11th lineman is on the squad.

If they choose to keep 9 this year, my pick would be Travis Bond. They are not going to keep 11. Rhaney and Van Dyk, best case scenario for either or both, is PS. And my guess is that Barrett Jones will be designated as the guy placed on revokable IR. He is not likely to be back much before Oct.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looked at it again, and you're right. He would have had to have thrown a bullet with the safety coming down, but that's not a difficult throw for him.

Agreed. But it was his first action and he made two ridiculous throws on the next drive so I'm just being nitpicky here.

FRO

Legend
If they choose to keep 9 this year, my pick would be Travis Bond. They are not going to keep 11. Rhaney and Van Dyk, best case scenario for either or both, is PS. And my guess is that Barrett Jones will be designated as the guy placed on revokable IR. He is not likely to be back much before Oct.
Yeah, our swing OTs are our starting OGs. I would scour the waiver wire, but as we sit now Bond is probably the 10th guy. No to Hooey and Dill.

moklerman

Warner-phile
As far as nitpicks go, Holt pointed out a play that Sam could have done better on. It was the pass to Austin over the middle in the red zone. Holt commented that he would have liked to have seen Bradford wait for another split second and let Austin cross the LB's "face" before throwing the ball. Instead, he hits Austin just as he's getting to the LB and he's tackled right away.

One would have to chalk it up to being a bit rusty IMO, but it was one of those throws that can be criticized if you really wanted to point to something Bradford could have done better.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
As far as nitpicks go, Holt pointed out a play that Sam could have done better on. It was the pass to Austin over the middle in the red zone. Holt commented that he would have liked to have seen Bradford wait for another split second and let Austin cross the LB's "face" before throwing the ball. Instead, he hits Austin just as he's getting to the LB and he's tackled right away.

One would have to chalk it up to being a bit rusty IMO, but it was one of those throws that can be criticized if you really wanted to point to something Bradford could have done better.

I thought the exact same thing when it happened. But again, even if he waits that extra second to clear THAT LB, there was another waiting for him so, I doubt it would have mattered much.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Hate to be that guy but watching the Stacy throw on 3rd and 13, I really wish he would have held it a little longer as Quick came open on the dig past the marker right after Stacy caught the ball.

That's one thing I want to see from Bradford this year, a bit more aggressiveness and patience on long distance passing downs.
Honestly that's why it's been the focus in camp. Bradford's basically been broken over previous dismal seasons. Becomes second nature when you've always been forced to check down or go for the safe pass over and over. He's gotta get back to the Oklahoma Bradford. it's in there somewhere

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What I appreciate about our members is we understand QB play is complex and perfection is not possible.

Sam was 9/12 for 101yds and a TD. Without question a HUGE success for his first game back.

He showed nice zip and comfort in the pocket. He took a hit.

He checked down a few times in the first drive, but they were able to push the ball down on the next.

Quick made a huge catch in traffic for 41yds and drew a big pass interference.

Perhaps the only real blemish, Sam missed Britt on a sideline pass after he looked off coverage. He was perhaps a tad late, but certainly overthrew him.

I'd give him a solid A. Great return performance for Bradford.
the pure accuracy on the Quick and Kendricks throws were flawless. had to put both within a target of inches. that's elite QB talent begging to be unleashed

FRO

Legend
the pure accuracy on the Quick and Kendricks throws were flawless. had to put both within a target of inches. that's elite QB talent begging to be unleashed
How can this be true, I read on ramstalk that the Quick pass was bad because he had to stretch for it?