Bradford and a rookie QB to be named later...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The Cards are negotiating a contract extension with Palmer. He is having a great season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-palmer-cardinals-in-contract-extension-talks

Didn't know about this before. I find that encouraging in the sense that it means Sam is not likely to land there if he gets cut. Given the way the football gods have taken a giant sh!t all over the Rams for the better part of the last 25 years, I was worried Sam would go there, never get hurt again, and be everything we hoped he'd be for us. Laugh if you want, but I've seen the Rams give up on plenty of players over the years who went on to perform well for their new teams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I actually suspect that there are and have been a lot of teams willing to roll the dice on Sam, just waiting for us to let him walk.
I would have agreed with you before the ACL injuries. I'm sure there were OC's looking at Sam thinking "I'd love to work with this kid. He's got all the tools."
I don't think that's the case anymore. As i said, IMO Sam is now one of those guys that you might take a flyer on if you can get him on a cheap one or two year deal.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lol. Such a great point. Palmer is only 34, probably has 2-3 decent seasons ahead of him.
He's also been sacked only 4 times in 4 games so far this season, making his sack% 2.5 vs 6.7 last season.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He seems to have a team that believes in him and an OC in Arians who is top 10 in the league in play calling and Palmer is only 34. Why do you think he is retiring? just wondering.
Because he almost retired a couple years ago in Cincy. He's not going to be playing much longer IMO.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
It was said that ad is having a better year as Sam did his 1st (rookie) year. And you have to move on or at least restructure Sams contract because he has been hurt all but 1 season since being a ram. And the last 2 have been season ending injuries that were early in the season. If you are a betting man what are the odds that Sam will be healthy for a whole season... would u put money on it?

It would be bad business to bring Sam back as the starter with the Sam contract. The Raiders wouldn't even do that
Bradford played 2 full seasons 10 games his second year and 7 games his 4 year.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Personally Im not opposed to having SB back even tho I question his intangibles between the ears. He is the best qb arm talent wise we have but he isn't durable. If it was my money (my business) I would try to restructure Him but it isn't solely our choice for him to return in that situation.. he would have to want to be here and accept a major pay cut to continue to work for my company. As a business owner you have to make that gamble and if he doesn't accept he must go... nothing personal it's busniess

Btw was it the Same doctor that repaired both SB and Jake longs knee? If so he should be sued for negligence and malpractice
Yes it was.

lockdnram21

Legend
We can never have enough linemen. Im hoping we sign one (fingers crossed on durability), and draft a couple in the secon AND third round. GRob and Barks are the only durable OL'men we have. I don't see how we can part with Sam.
He want even be ready at the start of season. It takes longer the 2nd time you tear same acl. So You would pay him to sit on the bench? Im not 100% sure but i would think he wouldnt even be ready to start practicing until late Aug. I would rather Resign Hill as a stop gap and draft our Qb for the future

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Why do you keep mentioning AZ? Palmer is playing well why would they be interested in Bradford right now? Buffalo or the Jets would be a better place for him........ I'm sure he's not going to want to sit for a year or two in Arizona waiting for Palmer to either finally break down and retire or just decline enough to be benched.
What I just do not get in all these scenarios, is why would SB leave?
Look, he's gonna get cut. I keep hearing some other team's gonna' snap him up. Really? At what price exactly? And why wouldn't he stay with the Rams for (close to) the same contract. He's already had his "payday" to the tune of $50M. Name another QB in the NFL that has that "ALREADY IN HIS POCKET". Manning, Brees and Brady maybe, but they're almost done. SB can play another ten years. So again, why would he leave. He has no reason to hate the Rams. Quite the contrary.

lockdnram21

Legend
What I just do not get in all these scenarios, is why would SB leave?
Look, he's gonna get cut. I keep hearing some other team's gonna' snap him up. Really? At what price exactly? And why wouldn't he stay with the Rams for (close to) the same contract. He's already had his "payday" to the tune of $50M. Name another QB in the NFL that has that "ALREADY IN HIS POCKET". Manning, Brees and Brady maybe, but they're almost done. SB can play another ten years. So again, why would he leave. He has no reason to hate the Rams. Quite the contrary.
My Question is why would u want him to stay coming off of 2 acl tears. It makes no sense.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Maybe if we protected him we wouldn't have that problem

Well, he injured his ACL the first time getting hit running out of bounds, and the second time when a defender attempted to pull him down (and not all that aggressively).

How exactly were they supposed to be protecting Bradford to prevent these things?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My Question is why would u want him to stay coming off of 2 acl tears. It makes no sense.

I agree totally!

Why would a very NON Mobile QB, with fair to poor pocket awareness & a seriously damaged knee want to say here behind this OL?o_O

That would be an insane decision on Sam's part. We have never been able to protect him with an OL The future OL currently has a very bleak look to it in total rebuild mode! ...see any real future OL candidates besides Greg Robinson (still remains to be seen if he can perform @ OLT).

Rams need to seek out a heavy duty very elusive new QB for the next few years if not, they may need to carry 7 ot 8 of these QB's on the 53 player roster with what we have signed as OL'ers for 2015.

Sam is sure to get guidance from the smart people around him on this decision & all would certainly suggest that if Sam wants to continue to play ?????(still questionable) then he better seek a team with a good OL who can protect him! The Rams are light years away from that position.

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I'll agree with the theory of.. pick up an offensive line.. get some WR playmakers.. and then talk

Haha ridiculous..
2015 cap hits
Sam Bradford (2011 missed 7 games, $12.5 mil, 2012 $15.6 mil, 2013, missed 13 games, $12.6 mil, 2014, missed all games, 17.6 mil)
2015 - $16.6 million
Jake Long
2015 - $10.5 million

That is $27.1 million dollars on players that are not guaranteed to play in 2015... get real dude.. find someone not injury prone.. stupid

ETA: I still can not believe how ridiculous some people are and the Sam Bradford hand jerking after he has basically made $42 million dollars and produced jack crap

First of all; are you calling ME stupid?
Second: I never advocated to keep Sam. Just made a post as to what I 'thought' would happen.
You know.....just some friendly 'free' advice here; you really should 'read' someone's post and not read into/assume things that are not there.

Last edited:

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

Fair question. Because he's worth a $5M a year, 2 year incentive laden contract. QB just don't grow on trees. This does assume drafting a QB high in next year's draft.

And then of course, there's my man-crush...:banana:

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I agree totally!

Why would a very NON Mobile QB, with fair to poor pocket awareness & a seriously damaged knee want to say here behind this OL?o_O

That would be an insane decision on Sam's part. We have never been able to protect him with an OL The future OL currently has a very bleak look to it in total rebuild mode! ...see any real future OL candidates besides Greg Robinson (still remains to be seen if he can perform @ OLT).

Rams need to seek out a heavy duty very elusive new QB for the next few years if not, they may need to carry 7 ot 8 of these QB's on the 53 player roster with what we have signed as OL'ers for 2015.

Sam is sure to get guidance from the smart people around him on this decision & all would certainly suggest that if Sam wants to continue to play ?????(still questionable) then he better seek a team with a good OL who can protect him! The Rams are light years away from that position.

You're absolutely right about the state of the Rams line.

Bradford and his agents are probably much better off exploring a move out of St. Louis.

I'm sure teams with pro-bowlers across the O-line and superior skill position players will be lining up to throw fistfulls of money at a QB that's played seven games over the last two seasons (and is coming off of back to back ACL surgeries on the same knee).

A55VA6

Legend
Les Snead was in attendance @ the FSU/Louisville game along with 9 other GM's. Supposedly checking out Jameis Winston.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This has been a very interesting thread, indeed. Lot's of thoughts and opinions about Bradford.

A few of my own thoughts...

I've long been a Bradford supporter. But the 2 ACL's have changed my opinion as to his Ram future. His first was a freak non contact injury. His second resulted from a light contact tackle. The kind we see constantly in this league.

So I find it fascinating to read posters that advocate retaining Bradford as if he will be 100% reliable in '15 as our starter. Talk about denial. Even at a vastly reduced salary he seems a risk. As many have pointed out, Bradford can't help the team from the sidelines or on crutches. As such, I sadly have to say that he probably shouldn't be in Rams future plans.

I think Davis has proven that he can be a quality backup, at the very least. Hell, he may even impress in these remaining 9 games. Maybe enough to be considered a viable starter in '15.

I think we need to draft a QB next year, in any case. How high will depend on how well Davis plays AND which QB that S/F like at our slots. But surely by round 3, I would think.

Lastly, I have to say that I've lost confidence in Fisher and his staff. Any QB would benefit from a new regime next year, IMO. Whether that's Davis, the FA Hill, or a drafted QB.

OkieRamFan

UDFA
Name
Harold
If you guys recall two years ago Indy cut Manning because they thought he would never play again. Remember how many teams jumped into the Peyton lottery, lots of them. Now Sam isn't Peyton, not even close, but he is a lot better quarterback than the starting QM that several teams current have. I think that there will be more than a few that would gladly take a flyer on Sam, just in case. The odds of his chances to come back from the second injury are probably better than the odds you would get on the ultimate success of any rookie QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you guys recall two years ago Indy cut Manning because they thought he would never play again. Remember how many teams jumped into the Peyton lottery, lots of them. Now Sam isn't Peyton, not even close, but he is a lot better quarterback than the starting QM that several teams current have. I think that there will be more than a few that would gladly take a flyer on Sam, just in case. The odds of his chances to come back from the second injury are probably better than the odds you would get on the ultimate success of any rookie QB.

Really not even close to the same thing.
Indy didnt cut him because they didnt think he'd play again, they cut him becasue they were going to have to pay him about 20 mill and were surely drafting Andrew Luck with the #1 overall pick.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
cut & pasted from RamStalk :

Doubtful Bradford comes back unless two things happen :

First, the doctors have to give the team an OK that he can recover and play with some physical confidence.
Second, Bradford will have to become a CAP casualty cut and re-sign at a wage befitting his new situation, signing a new two year contract.

No doubt there is a certain amount of gamble to the equation, but the lower the salary, the less the gamble. The Rams can just cut him loose, send him on his way, and Sam will be written off as a complete disaster. It may also take another year or two while we attempt to get another starting QB up to speed.

Or ...

Should the Rams choose to take the gamble, and Sam is willing to sacrifice his body & salary for one more shot at resurrecting his career, ... well, I happen to see some potential value in such a decision. The Rams will be in a great CAP position if what so many fans have speculated about with potential CAP casualty cuts coming to fruition, so re-signing Bradford would be more than affordable. And the reduced salary is the only real aspect to the gamble, because none of this happens unless we use our top pick in the draft to choose our next 'franchise' QB, something most everyone wants to do anyway. Whether Bradford plays 1 more regular season game or 16, he still helps our next QB prepare for his role as eventual starter and leader of the offense. I'm sorry, but I see this as virtually a no-lose situation, because if by some miracle Bradford happens to get thru the 2015 successfully, maybe even following a play-off run, both team and player create great value, ... really, really great value. The benefit of trading a healthy and proven veteran QB in Bradford could potentially translate to a 1'st round pick-up, something far more valuable than what his lowered salary dictates. The Rams will have their newly drafted # 1 QB ready to come off the bench and assume control, and a still very young Sam Bradford can take his career aspirations to another team and eventually make more money. For me, it's a no-brainer. If the doctors say yes, if Sam greatly reduces his salary demands, then bring him back, ... the money aspect to the gamble is negligible. jmo.