BR - Cody Davis Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Feel free to fix this one too lol :rofl:

Cody Davis Scouting Report: NFL Outlook for Texas Tech S

BY GARRETT BAKER (FEATURED COLUMNIST) ON APRIL 16, 2013 899 reads 0
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNext
Cody Davis (#16)
Thomas B. Shea/Getty Images
In a deep safety class, a prospect needs to have some quality that sets him apart from the rest. Cody Davis may not be a name that has come up much during the draft process, but he has the size and mental makeup that will force teams to notice him.

He led an underrated Texas Tech defense who had one of the best pass defenses in the country, allowing only 192 yards per game through the air.

Strengths Weaknesses
+ Tall with a solid frame, strong for a safety

+ Team captain, student of the game

+ Physical, presses and tackles well

+ Could convert to outside linebacker

- Isn't quick and fluid enough on tape

- Won't be much of a playmaker

- Lacks killer instinct

- Has to fit in the right system

Measurables

Davis is a physically imposing safety. He stands at about 6'2" and weighs in around 203 lbs., and he is well-built and has filled out his taller frame. That's not to say he won't benefit from spending time in an NFL weight room, but he already has to the body to play immediately.

At his pro day at Texas Tech, Davis put up some rather shockingly impressive totals. He ran a 4.41 40-yard dash and had a 41.5-inch vertical, which would have been better than any defensive back at the combine (Davis was not invited to the combine).

Matt Miller Breaks Down Cody Davis

Intangibles

Davis really has some impressive traits that will make NFL organizations happy. In 2012, he was a finalist for the National Football Foundation National Scholar-Athlete Award and was also named to the Capital One Academic-America First Team. He maintained a 3.7 GPA as an undergraduate student and a 4.0 GPA as a graduate student.

To continue his impressive 2012, he was honored as Coaches' Selection Second-Team All-Big 12 Conference. He also served as a team captain for the Red Raiders.

Scheme

Texas Tech played a 4-3 defense under Art Kaufman, with a two-deep zone for safeties on the majority of plays. There were times when Davis stepped up in the box on probable run plays, but Texas Tech's defense was noted for its simplicity and lack of blitzes and disguising coverage.

Coverage

Davis played a lot of zone coverage, and he often could get lost when the offense used any type of misdirection. Notice the play-action in this video against West Virginia. Davis bites badly and allows the receiver to fly past him

He didn't often take on man-to-man responsibility and is relatively inexperienced as a result. But his physicality leads me to believe that he could be good in press man coverage against a slot receiver or tight end.

His quickness and athleticism that was displayed at his pro day doesn't really translate onto the playing field, as he can get tripped up and beaten by quick receivers. He is at his best when he's given freedom to roam deep, where short-space quickness isn't a factor.

Watch Davis get beat by play action at 1:00

Against the Run

Davis displays a lot of promise when playing against the run. He occasionally gets pushed up almost as a fourth linebacker and is skilled at diagnosing the play quickly and attacking with the right angle.

He tracks down well and fights through blocks to get the ball-carrier. He can occasionally overrun the play and get beaten upfield, but his discipline is usually adequate.

Tackling

Davis is a very strong tackler but is not really so much a hard hitter. He won't shy away from contact ever, but he rarely lowers his shoulder and lays out an opponent. He instead usually looks to wrap up with good form and drag the ball-carrier to the ground.

Davis' own cutup of his senior season

Potential NFL Role

Any team would love to have a guy like Davis, although not as an every-down starter. But he could fill in adequately at strong safety or even outside linebacker. He also has the potential to by a phenomenal special teams player in the NFL.

Draft Projection:

Fifth or sixth round

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1603850-cody-davis-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-texas-tech-s

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
nighttrain said:
Lucky Rams, we got the guy in the 8th round
train

I think he and Phillip Steward were both 8th Rd. steals.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi6uLmU9e1M[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wo-suc--4[/youtube]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think you are most likely looking at Darian Stewart's back up at Strong Safety. With TJ McDonald starter @ FS backed up by Rodney McLeod.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh. Seems like a special teamer type to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BonifayRam said:
I think you are most likely looking at Darian Stewart's back up at Strong Safety. With TJ McDonald starter @ FS backed up by Rodney McLeod.
I hope McDonald isn't the starting free safety. I don't see much of anything I like about that scenario.
At least not right now. He's better fighting inside a phone booth than he is trying to catch a gazelle.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Any idea why this kid went undrafted, I haven't heard of any red flags on him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Dude said:
BonifayRam said:
I hope McDonald isn't the starting free safety. I don't see much of anything I like about that scenario.
At least not right now. He's better fighting inside a phone booth than he is trying to catch a gazelle.

I think you may be keying on his 2012 season and you wouldn't be alone. The kid is pretty good in coverage and his height and arm length makes it hard to just throw over the top. If he's a step off in coverage, he still provides a small window. And when he is able to step into a tackle? That's fun to watch.

Regardless, he is a huge upgrade over Dahl on day one IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:
really like his size & speed. Nice moves with the ball in his hands, and in evading blocks to make tackle...great senior season stats w/TT
train

nighttrain

Legend
Barrison6 said:
Just a guy who was thot to be a 5th or 6th rounder that was unlucky to our benefit
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RamFan503 said:
The Dude said:
BonifayRam said:

I think you may be keying on his 2012 season and you wouldn't be alone. The kid is pretty good in coverage and his height and arm length makes it hard to just throw over the top. If he's a step off in coverage, he still provides a small window. And when he is able to step into a tackle? That's fun to watch.

Regardless, he is a huge upgrade over Dahl on day one IMO.

Well Dude who at this very early point in time is your thought processes thinking will be the starting free deep ranger? yeah from all that I have read on TJ from Fisher & Snead they were NOT looking at much of the 2012 season where TJ basically was a rover LB'er in that USC defense. TJ could end up down in the box if he gets much bigger not many close to 6-3 220 plus deep rangers on patrol in the NFL

I asked the question yesterday on one of my posts about the reason that the Rams (FISHER) plays more Nickle than most any other team in the NFL in 2012...why???

*1-Was it due to having two (in the box) strong safeties starting and no deep free safety ?
*2-Was it due to the skills of Cortland Finnegan who plays the slot covers plus much of the same areas that a free safety does?
*3-Was it due to the three corners bringing much more play-making skills to the defense than any of the other safety options?
*4-Fisher had only two NFL starting grade LB'ers on the roster in 2012 JL& Dunbar. OLB McIntosh was declining fast no NFL ready back ups.
*5-Was it due to all the above?

Some side bar nuggets here.....If you recall Fletcher was still rehabbing when Training Camp began, leaving three new CB's to shoulder the entire load @ CB. Fisher started JJ & Finn but slipped Fletcher more & more as the starter on the outside. When JJ was benched it was TJ that got the call to start & Fletcher was the Nickle.

From the time JJ returned Fletcher was demoted & became the dimeback (4th corner). It was the CB's who were making all the big plays in the secondary. Seemed to me Fisher was hellbent on getting the taller Trumaine Johnson on the field as fast and as hard as he could did you all get that impression? Fisher's top two new CB's are 6-1 Steeples & 5-11 1/2 inch McGee with serious speed. I think Fisher knew Fletcher speed was all but gone after two back to back knee surgeries and Fletcher would get even slower as the season and wear went on.

Fisher had a very short 5-9 Mikell, a 5-10 in Finnegan & 5-10 JJ starting..... Trumaine Johnson is over 6-2 210 pound corner! Fletcher was 6 ft but only has five INT and one forced fumble after four NFL seasons! Fisher follows up this draft with TJ Mc Donald is a very tall long 6-3 220 plus pounder DB that Fisher desired....he also signed a tall lanky 6-2 200 pound safety in Cody Davis? Should I also add that Fisher added a 6-3 242 pound far ranging LB'er Ogletree who is 4 inches taller than Jo-Lonn Dunbar?

In answering my own question thrown out above this is how I see it..
I would still be very interested in your thoughts on my question.

*1- suggestion.....Looks to me that if Stewart & TJ McDonald are the starters @ safety Fisher gained 2 inches on the Mikell for Stewart exchange. TJ is 2 inches taller than Craig so Fisher gained 4 inches from 2012 to 2013 with much taller safeties starting in 2013. So*1 suggestion would no longer be a reason for playing so much Nickel.

*3- suggestion will remain unknown till we see what our new safeties will bring as playmakers.

*4- suggestion played a major part in the Nickle preference. This season should be an vast improvement in OSLb'er play with the addition of Ogletree.

*2- The (ex free safety in college) Finnegan is without question one of the best coverage Slot DB's in the NFL (NFL is more three WR offense today). He would not come close to that high rating as a standard two corner base defense so getting Finnegan on the slot at all times is a priority when you have Lb'ers like McIntosh & Dunbar who are very weak in pass coverage particularly a slot receiver. Former safeties Mikell & Craig were at the very bottom of the NFL in pass coverage abilities. Insert Stewart & McDonald @ safety should be an upgrade in pass defense. Insert a Oqletree & Dunbar @ OSLBer should also be an upgrade in pass defense over McIntosh & Dunbar duo. Finnegan's recorded on field playing time was the most of all the DB's in 2012. Finnegan was on the field on every Ram defense scheme until the last two weeks of the season ...Cortland tailed off as the season wore on last yr and was not the player he was early much of it was due to nagging thigh injury. Cortland failed to start against the Buc Rams lost. Next week he started against the Seahawks but was gimpy & played mostly in the Nickle Rams lost. This says a lot. Hopefully T.Johnson, McGee & Stepples can provide Finnegan some breathers in order to keep him fresh & feisty.

*5- This would be the best response to my question. :nice:

Looks to me that Fisher is trending to make his defense bigger taller when he can and the offense is getting shorter by the minute :lmao:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Barrison6 said:

I think it's because NFL teams weren't sure of what position he would play (ie., FS, SS or Nickle/Dime OLB). Also, how high do you want to draft a guy that may only get reps on 3rd down and special teams vs. taking a flyer on someone with a higher ceiling.

That said, I really like the guy and want to see him on the field dressed in blue and gold. He's got great range (better top-end speed than any other S on the roster) and is a sure tackler. I could see him as FS type who plays in zone schemes (definitely not man coverage). So his playing time will really be a function of the defensive scheme we roll with... maybe something like man under, cover-2. He's definitely not a cover-1 guy, nor is he going to man up in the slot...

nighttrain

Legend
OnceARam said:
Barrison6 said:

I think it's because NFL teams weren't sure of what position he would play (ie., FS, SS or Nickle/Dime OLB). Also, how high do you want to draft a guy that may only get reps on 3rd down and special teams vs. taking a flyer on someone with a higher ceiling.

That said, I really like the guy and want to see him on the field dressed in blue and gold. He's got great range (better top-end speed than any other S on the roster) and is a sure tackler. I could see him as FS type who plays in zone schemes (definitely not man coverage). So his playing time will really be a function of the defensive scheme we roll with... maybe something like man under, cover-2. He's definitely not a cover-1 guy, nor is he going to man up in the slot...
With his speed to close, Ranger Free Safety, our new center fielder..
train

nighttrain

Legend
lockdnram21 said:
Tj McDonald is FS
Fisher has stated many times he likes his safeties to be both, and to switch as need happens. Plenty of room for Davis on the roster, especially with 4.37 speed
train