Boys, I need help!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
So I recently moved to my new rental and got all excited for my new directv set up.

Well, after 1 week of install, my landlord comes by and demands I take it down. I explained the OTARD law but he was well informed and said there are exceptions and bilaws that supercede it.

Now I have to take it down :( :( worst part is I live here in new england and was relying on it to be my provider of rams games because of the exclusive NFL deal. I have streamed games on my computer but that recently shit the bed so now I'm honestly not sure what I should or can do to watch my Rams on Sundays.

Any suggestions?!! Thank you

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
So I recently moved to my new rental and got all excited for my new directv set up.

Well, after 1 week of install, my landlord comes by and demands I take it down. I explained the OTARD law but he was well informed and said there are exceptions and bilaws that supercede it.

Now I have to take it down :( :( worst part is I live here in new england and was relying on it to be my provider of rams games because of the exclusive NFL deal. I have streamed games on my computer but that recently crap the bed so now I'm honestly not sure what I should or can do to watch my Rams on Sundays.

can you do it "off house" ? Like on a pole you might have to put in ... and take out when you leave?

iced

Did you ask if you could install it before you moved in? I'm not sure how the OTARD law works and applies but here's some info on it

http://www.sbca.com/dish-satellite/fcc-fact-sheet.htm

I'd look for another place and ask for my money back if it can't be worked out - especially if he told you before you moved in that direct tv would be okay.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Now I have to take it down :( :( worst part is I live here in new england and was relying on it to be my provider of rams games because of the exclusive NFL deal. I have streamed games on my computer but that recently crap the bed so now I'm honestly not sure what I should or can do to watch my Rams on Sundays.

I used to run 22 DirecTV trucks before they went to in-house installation. I can walk you through this to see if you have to take it down. Landlords lie or are misinformed all the time. The landlord has no choice whether you can have the dish or not IF you are following the law. None. Nether does the homeowners association, town, city, county, state, no one.

You have a legal right to receive any signal you choose.

Where do you have the dish?

Last edited:

Moostache

Rookie
Sports bar with NFL Ticket?
If you can't get Direct TV and you can't get NFL.com, you're at the mercy of the local broadcast or the black market...There are a ton of shady streaming sites I am sure...

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I've watched every Rams game the past 6-7 years for free on streaming sites like http://www.gofeed2all.eu/type/american-football.html and http://firstrowus1.eu/sport/american-football.html.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do. Hope you can figure something out bro!
I literally google " watch St. Louis Rams vs. Shitty WHiners (or whoever) for free online and within the first page I choose the best website.

Note I have a pop up blocker activated I downloaded which helps not getting malware or anything else from those sites.

Firstrow as AssVag has listed is generally pretty damn good tow watch most anything sport related on.

RamzFanz

Damnit
For everyone who faces this here are the general rules:

In an apartment rental situation, your dish must be fully on space you have exclusive control over like a single non-shared balcony or porch. It can't project beyond your space. This is easily dealt with by mounting it to a self standing pole or cinder blocks.

You can't mount to their railing, fence, or building.

You can't drill through their walls. They have special pass-through cables that can be shut in a window or door.

The landlord can't ask you to do anything that significantly increases the cost of the installation or delays it. So, if they say it must not be visible and there is no inexpensive solution, it's an unenforceable rule.

They can't require special insurance like renters insurance unless they require it for all tenants who have property on their exclusive use space.

If they don't want you to have a dish, but you are following the rules, the burden is ON THEM to get a ruling from the FCC, not you. They can not remove the dish if you are following the rules.

There can be very rare exceptions such as a historical building. The "safety" clause is very strict against landlords and there are supporting court cases you can show them. If they allow other property, then yours is no less safe.

I used to print up these FAQs for renters and landlords:

https://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

"Q: What can a local government, association, or consumer do if there is a dispute over whether a particular restriction is valid?

A: Restrictions that impair installation, maintenance or use of the antennas covered by the rule are preempted (unenforceable) unless they are needed for safety or historic preservation and are no more burdensome than necessary to accomplish the articulated legitimate safety purpose or for preservation of a designated or eligible historic site or district. If a person believes a restriction is preempted, but the local government, community association, or landlord disagrees, either the person or the restricting entity may file a Petition for Declaratory Ruling with the FCC or a court of competent jurisdiction. We encourage parties to attempt to resolve disputes prior to filing a petition. Often contacting the FCC for information about how the rule works and applies in a particular situation can help to resolve the dispute. If a local government, community association, or landlord acknowledges that its restriction impairs installation, maintenance, or use and is preempted under the rule but believes it can demonstrate "highly specialized or unusual" concerns, the restricting entity may apply to the Commission for a waiver of the rule."

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
he was well informed and said there are exceptions and bilaws that supercede it.

There are no bylaws or exceptions that supercede the FCC rules unless the FCC says so. They are very clear about what is allowed and what isn't and the burden is on the landlord to prove their case.

"Q: Does the rule apply to residents of rental property?

A: Yes. Effective January 22, 1999, renters may install antennas within their leasehold, which means inside the dwelling or on outdoor areas that are part of the tenant's leased space and which are under the exclusive use or control of the tenant. Typically, for apartments, these areas include balconies, balcony railings, and terraces. For rented single family homes or manufactured homes which sit on rented property, these areas include the home itself and patios, yards, gardens or other similar areas. If renters do not have access to these outside areas, the tenant may install the antenna inside the rental unit. Renters are not required to obtain the consent of the landlord prior to installing an antenna in these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof or the exterior walls of an apartment building. Generally, balconies or patios that are shared with other people or are accessible from other units are not considered to be exclusive use areas."

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'd look for another place and ask for my money back if it can't be worked out - especially if he told you before you moved in that direct tv would be okay.

Just an FYI, you never need a landlord's permission to install any signal receiving antenna or dish as long as you follow the FCC rules. If they hand you a sheet of rules about signal receiving devices, you are free to ignore any that violate the law, even if you signed an agreement. They are unenforceable.

iced

Just an FYI, you never need a landlord's permission to install any signal receiving antenna or dish as long as you follow the FCC rules. If they hand you a sheet of rules about signal receiving devices, you are free to ignore any that violate the law, even if you signed an agreement. They are unenforceable.

The first apartment I lived in California would not allow us to install the Dish to the roof - and Direct TV wouldn't do it without their permission... So I just moved apartment complex's on first my chance that was facing the right direction and had a balcony. Problem solved (and a better apartment anyway ), think i ended up only moving 2 blocks lol

iced

I've also heard of people using VPN's to mask their address and paying the $120 a year to stream it from NFL.com.

Not sure if anyone does this - I've heard of people using "Hola" as a program to do it, but I would tell anyone who goes this route to avoid that program at all costs.. Huge security vulnerability - opens the door to hackers and botnets

RamzFanz

Damnit
The first apartment I lived in California would not allow us to install the Dish to the roof - and Direct TV wouldn't do it without their permission... So I just moved apartment complex's on first my chance that was facing the right direction and had a balcony. Problem solved (and a better apartment anyway ), think i ended up only moving 2 blocks lol

Yep, correct. You definitely can't install to their roof or building. People moving into apartments who want dishes should go walk around the complex looking for dishes. Those will tell you where you want your apartment to be. They will also tell you if you're going to face a battle with the landlord that, even if the landlord is wrong, can be a pain in the backside.

DirecTV will probably even come out to the complex to advise you on your apartment location before you sign a lease.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Q: Who is responsible for showing that a restriction is enforceable?

A: When a conflict arises about whether a restriction is valid, the local government, community association, property owner, or management entity that is trying to enforce the restriction has the burden of proving that the restriction is valid. This means that no matter who questions the validity of the restriction, the burden will always be on the entity seeking to enforce the restriction to prove that the restriction is permitted under the rule or that it qualifies for a waiver.

Q: Can I be fined and required to remove my antenna immediately if the Commission determines that a restriction is valid?

A: If the Commission determines that the restriction is valid, you will have a minimum of 21 days to comply with this ruling. If you remove your antenna during this period, in most cases you cannot be fined. However, this 21-day grace period does not apply if the FCC rule does not apply to your installation (for example, if the antenna is installed on a condominium general common element or hanging outside beyond an apartment balcony). If the FCC rule does not apply at all in your case, the 21-day grace period does not apply.

Q: Can I continue to use my antenna while the petition or waiver request is pending?

A: Yes, unless the restriction being challenged or for which a waiver is sought is necessary for reasons of safety or historic preservation. Otherwise, the restriction cannot be enforced while the petition is pending.

Q: Who do I call if my town, community association or landlord is enforcing an invalid restriction?

A: Call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-CALL FCC (1-888-225-5322), which is a toll-free number, or 202-418-2120. Some assistance may also be available from the direct broadcast satellite company, broadband radio service provider, television broadcast station, or fixed wireless company whose service is desired.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I've also heard of people using VPN's to mask their address and paying the $120 a year to stream it from NFL.com.

Not sure if anyone does this - I've heard of people using "Hola" as a program to do it, but I would tell anyone who goes this route to avoid that program at all costs.. Huge security vulnerability - opens the door to hackers and botnets
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/how-to-hide-your-online-identity-with-a-vpn-service

Nice, here is a decent article that describes the basics of VPN blocking and the basic history about it if anybody is curious.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
This is what I do. But it's more then $120 unless you test a bunch of countries and get lucky and also find a good working promo code. Going through Ireland was the cheapest I had found for $160. I've heard Romania is cheaper but the nfl gamepass page wouldn't work when I tried. I tried finding a good working promo code but couldn't. Said screw it and signed up.

Once you open the gamepass and it starts playing you can turn your vpn off and use your regular Internet to run it and get better quality. Usually when I run it on vpn the quality is only at 2 bars, 3 at best. Turning it off the quality gets to max or right under. It's nice.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
or one of those that stands on A tripod

I got one for my camper trailer. I take my box from home, hook it up and point to the SE. From my usual campsite there's an old tree about a quarter mile away on a hill thats perfectly lined up. I can watch Direct TV while I'm camping. I don't mind roughing it, but thats a basic necessity. ;)

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WOW!! thank you guys for the abundant help and info.. I'm still terrified to confront my landlord on it because I don't want to start our tenure on a bad foot and he seems to be a cranky ole man. I'm a 24 year old kid who works hard and does well but he seems to be trying to size me up. The place is beautiful tho.

To be more elaborate , I did it without his permission BC I didn't think anything of it. Like, I'm getting cable big woop. But he came this morning and chewed me saying the condo management association will come down on him for him having a tenant with a satellite on the roof. There is no porch so I said roof it. The installer went over the otard law and said I would be fine BC I wanted to make absolutely sure what I was doing was compliant. Now he is barking at to take it down and it kills me BC I want to have directv.

I called DirecTV and explained situation and they said I can do off the yard pole and that technically by law THAT can't be denied. My biggest worry is providing landlord alternative and him flipping out. I want to go to condo association but I don't want to piss off landlord. And what if they won't allow the pole??

:(