Bountygate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

superfan24

Starter
Re: Gregg Williams.... Bounty Hunter?

Didn't read through the entire thread yet, but sorry if someone already mentioned it. Wasn't this already talked about a while back with Williams? I am positive that it was brought up somewhere.
Was always cautious about Williams, but if this was strictly make plays and you get paid I don't really have a problem. If it was trying to hurt people illegally then I have no problem saying that Goodel should fine him heavily.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Re: Dungy: Titans had a bounty on Peyton Manning

JdashSTL said:
Ugh. Yeah the Rams just formed a new staff, bright future, so lets go ahead and start taking the coaches down one-by-one :amped: . I hope nothing happens to Fisher. Theres a lot of coincidence with him right now.

Yeah this could turn into an absolute nightmare if Fisher gets dragged into this.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

X said:
Angry Ram said:
It's not gonna effect the Rams @ all. Bellicheat, as his name suggets, freakin cheated for years and they only got a draft pick taken away. I"d bet Williams gets fined and the Saints get a draft pick taken.

This shit is serious for the Saints. No wonder there was always a dislike for them in me.
I dunno man. There's talk about a suspension for Williams.
AND possibly his son (who was an assistant in New Orleans and now a coach here).

Well now as more and more is coming out, I sure can see a suspension.

Remember James Harrison's quote? "I want to hurt people."

But the real question is...why the HELL ARE YOU FOLLOWING A DAMN 49ER!?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't understand why it is such a big story. don't all players (cbs excluded) hit other players with the intent of stopping them in their tracks. if the players have done anything illegal they would have already been fined by goodell.

i can't believe the fines are going to bigger than the ones the patriots were handed after it was shown they systematically cheated their way to 3 championships.

strange.

superfan24

Starter

Wow sounds like its gonna get much worse.
Gotta agree with richawk I understand sitting on someone's bum ankle when trying to stand up after a play, but intentionally twisting someone's facemask to hurt their neck to get more $$ from your D-coordinator-not news that Goodel is gonna take lightly and I expect a big punishment on Williams.

superfan24

Starter

kurtfaulk said:

i don't understand why it is such a big story. don't all players (cbs excluded) hit other players with the intent of stopping them in their tracks. if the players have done anything illegal they would have already been fined by goodell.

i can't believe the fines are going to bigger than the ones the patriots were handed after it was shown they systematically cheated their way to 3 championships.

strange.

Should definitely not get more than what the cheaters got even though I believe they got off easy. Cheated us outta a super bowl and two other teams fuck them.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awesome. I swear if I didn't know better I'd say the NFL has it out for the Rams.

bluecoconuts

Legend

The thing that pisses me off the most about this entire fucking thing is that everyone is calling for Williams head. I understand that as well, what he did was wrong, but it's not new, lets not be stupid, a lot of teams do that. Theirs just became public.

But if they suspend him, ban him whatever, what do the Saints care? That doesn't effect them in the least. All that does is fuck over a team who had nothing to do with what happened at all. That's bullshit.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
The thing that pisses me off the most about this entire freaking thing is that everyone is calling for Williams head. I understand that as well, what he did was wrong, but it's not new, lets not be stupid, a lot of teams do that. Theirs just became public.

But if they suspend him, ban him whatever, what do the Saints care? That doesn't effect them in the least. All that does is freak over a team who had nothing to do with what happened at all. That's BS.

A lot of teams taped practices too.

The league has a rule against bounties.

If you're kids are caught shoplifting will you accept the "but everyone does it" defense?

The league has a rule against bounties, and on top of it, bounties violate the cap.

How do you expect players to obey league rules if coaches don't.

bluecoconuts

Legend

That scenario doesn't fit. Fining Williams a lot of money is understandable, but suspending him only punishes the Rams. So unless the NFL will compensate the Rams for allowing them to hire him only to slap him with investigations a month later, it's not fair to St. Louis in my opinion.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

X said:
interference said:
X said:
Interesting tweet from Trey Wingo just now:

@wingoz
Beyond the health and safety issues of what the Saints did, paying players beyond their contracts is a violation of the Salary Cap.
Jesus christ, what does the NFL think its running, the Kremlin? Where does the control over contracted employee's lives end? This is getting ridiculous, and I think it would be wise for the players association to raise a big middle finger to Goodell if he tries to control how players/coaches spend their money.
Well, think about it. Where do you draw the line? What if, with a wink and a nod, you sign a free agent that another team was willing to pay the same money for, but you throw a little extra coin his way under the table to tip the scales? A "hidden incentive contract", if you will. If you let that go unchecked, then suddenly the Steinbrenners of the NFL get all the good free agents.
And where do we draw the line of big brother? At what point is oversight an infringement?

JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:
JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:
If he paid for QB hits and the like - I'm not sure how bad that should be viewed. It is a constant stat they pull up on the screen. If he was paying for an injury, I don't want him here or in the league. I really don't give a shyte if it goes on all the time. Pretty simple in my eyes. Fire his ass if he paid to have players injured.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and how the league has taken extra precautions for it, how can people be ok with players payed to knock opponents out of the game? Cant that be looked at as "intent to injure?"

I'm not talking about trying to knock a player out of a game - quite the contrary. But in the NFL, QB hits are a stat just like hurries. For clarification, I'm not talking about hits after the play either. But this is a rough game and a big part of it is getting into the most important player's brain. Most of the time, that is the QB.

So your talking about teams just going after the QB to get in his head? speed up his internal clock? Thats normal. The 2 games that will be brought up the most are the Cardinals and Viking game during the Saints playoff run. I watched the Vikings game with my dad, hes a huge Vikings fan, he was shocked at the no-calls on Favre. It still bugs him to this day. The hits themselves didnt bother him, it was clear the Saints wanted to beat him up. Looking back on it now, I guess Bobby McCray made some extra cash after that SB run for the hits to Favre and Warner.
Anyone know where there are some good video highlights of those playoff games during the Saints run? I'd like to see those hits again.

By the way, why were the refs looking the other way during that run? Was the NFL Marketing machine pushing for a post-katrina Saints SB victory perhaps? The hypocrocy of the NFL is astounding.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Did B-Cheat serve a suspension ,,, or did he only have to pay a fine? I can't remember anything other than a fine.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

bluecoconuts said:
Awesome. I swear if I didn't know better I'd say the NFL has it out for the Rams.
Ever since Georgia moved the Rams to St Louis, the NFL has been pissed at the franchise.

This just totally sucks. Just as the good news about RGIII and possible awesome trade opportunities start spreading the airwaves, we have this ugly interruption. We just can't get a break. Damn this is hard to take.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

superfan24 said:
kurtfaulk said:

strange.

Should definitely not get more than what the cheaters got even though I believe they got off easy. Cheated us outta a super bowl and two other teams freak them.
Unfortunately, all Goodell punished Bellichik and the Patriots for was the taping of the Jets in 2007. All the other allegations were swept under the rug when Goodell destroyed all the tapes. Bellichick only copped to what they were caught at.

So by that measure, the situation Williams is facing is bigger. 4 seasons as DC in NO, and he admitted to doing it. Then there's that 50,000 page report. :shock:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Selassie I said:
Did B-Cheat serve a suspension ,,, or did he only have to pay a fine? I can't remember anything other than a fine.
Just a fine. A very sizable fine (500,000?) but no suspension. That would have interfered with their undefeated run. :?!:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Good video interview of Darren Sharper denying the charges.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... ounty-rule

Sharper says guys would putting a few hundred dollars up for things like the first guy to recover a fumble during a game, or the first guy to intercept a ball, etc. So, Sharper gives a totally different perspective on what went on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

interference said:
By the way, why were the refs looking the other way during that run? Was the NFL Marketing machine pushing for a post-katrina Saints SB victory perhaps? The hypocrocy of the NFL is astounding.

Exactly what I was thinking. Everything is fine while you are making money exploiting the situation. Now that all the frenzy is over, you can bring this shit out and act like the good guys cleaning up the game. What a bunch of fucks.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

bluecoconuts said:
That scenario doesn't fit. Fining Williams a lot of money is understandable, but suspending him only punishes the Rams. So unless the NFL will compensate the Rams for allowing them to hire him only to slap him with investigations a month later, it's not fair to St. Louis in my opinion.

Exactly.

superfan24

Starter

interference said:
X said:
interference said:
X said:
Interesting tweet from Trey Wingo just now:

@wingoz
Beyond the health and safety issues of what the Saints did, paying players beyond their contracts is a violation of the Salary Cap.
Jesus christ, what does the NFL think its running, the Kremlin? Where does the control over contracted employee's lives end? This is getting ridiculous, and I think it would be wise for the players association to raise a big middle finger to Goodell if he tries to control how players/coaches spend their money.
Well, think about it. Where do you draw the line? What if, with a wink and a nod, you sign a free agent that another team was willing to pay the same money for, but you throw a little extra coin his way under the table to tip the scales? A "hidden incentive contract", if you will. If you let that go unchecked, then suddenly the Steinbrenners of the NFL get all the good free agents.
And where do we draw the line of big brother? At what point is oversight an infringement?

JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:
JdashSTL said:
RamFan503 said:
If he paid for QB hits and the like - I'm not sure how bad that should be viewed. It is a constant stat they pull up on the screen. If he was paying for an injury, I don't want him here or in the league. I really don't give a shyte if it goes on all the time. Pretty simple in my eyes. Fire his ass if he paid to have players injured.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and how the league has taken extra precautions for it, how can people be ok with players payed to knock opponents out of the game? Cant that be looked at as "intent to injure?"

I'm not talking about trying to knock a player out of a game - quite the contrary. But in the NFL, QB hits are a stat just like hurries. For clarification, I'm not talking about hits after the play either. But this is a rough game and a big part of it is getting into the most important player's brain. Most of the time, that is the QB.

So your talking about teams just going after the QB to get in his head? speed up his internal clock? Thats normal. The 2 games that will be brought up the most are the Cardinals and Viking game during the Saints playoff run. I watched the Vikings game with my dad, hes a huge Vikings fan, he was shocked at the no-calls on Favre. It still bugs him to this day. The hits themselves didnt bother him, it was clear the Saints wanted to beat him up. Looking back on it now, I guess Bobby McCray made some extra cash after that SB run for the hits to Favre and Warner.
Anyone know where there are some good video highlights of those playoff games during the Saints run? I'd like to see those hits again.

http://deadspin.com/5890060/the-hit-tha ... injure-him
This is from deadspin but was just looking at the highlight not from what the writer was saying, didn't even read it.
It was a clean hit so idk if we can consider the allegations being included in this particular play.

Anonymous

kurtfaulk said:

strange.

It's not about "hits." That's not the issue.

Bounties violate both league rules and the collective bargaining agreement.

You can't ask players to abide by rules if the coaches don't.

"The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."

All payouts for specific performances in a game, including interceptions or causing fumbles, are against NFL rules. The NFL also warns teams against such practices before each season.

The NFL has a longstanding rule prohibiting “Non-Contract Bonuses.” Non-contract bonuses violate both the NFL Constitution and By-Laws and the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Clubs are advised every year of this rule in a memo from the commissioner. Citing Sections 9.1(C)(8), and 9.3(F) and (G) of the Constitution and By-Laws, the memo for the 2011 season stated:

“No bonus or award may directly or indirectly be offered, promised, announced, or paid to a player for his or his team’s performance against a particular team or opposing player or a particular group thereof. No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to or injuries inflicted on opposing players).”