Bountygate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Re:

JdashSTL said:
interference said:
hmmm, I am not convinced Fisher will bail on his longtime pal.

My question now becomes, if this was really going on, why r we learning about it now? There's gotta be a NFL-political undercurrent going on that we're not being exposed to yet? This was obviously being protected while Williams was in NO, what's changed other than the team Williams now coaches for?

I think this is a big opportunity for Goodell to put the hammer down on the Saints as he moves forward with the extra attention put on player safety. Apparently Williams had been doing this for awhile. A lot of stuff coming down on him (why now??). He could be made an example of for the rest of the league.
Exactly. Why now? The league's been investigating this since 2010, and NOW he wants to drop the hammer? Freaking figures - as soon as the Rams get a leg-up, someone wants to sweep it.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:

My question now becomes, if this was really going on, why r we learning about it now? There's gotta be a NFL-political undercurrent going on that we're not being exposed to yet? This was obviously being protected while Williams was in NO, what's changed other than the team Williams now coaches for?

I think this is a big opportunity for Goodell to put the hammer down on the Saints as he moves forward with the extra attention put on player safety. Apparently Williams had been doing this for awhile. A lot of stuff coming down on him (why now??). He could be made an example of for the rest of the league.
Exactly. Why now? The league's been investigating this since 2010, and NOW he wants to drop the hammer? Freaking figures - as soon as the Rams get a leg-up, someone wants to sweep it.

My guess is they wanted to continue gathering more info, we know these investigations can take awhile, and this comes a year after the NFL changes the kickoff for player safety, and they have continued fining players for hits, and changed other rules. This is their big investigation to really make teams take notice. I have a bad feeling for Williams, especially now that I know this goes back to his Washington days. I think he has to go. Lets say he gets suspended for 8 games or a full season, who runs the defense? Williams could come back after learning a lesson and move forward. Who runs the D while hes gone? We may just have to move on with some other DC.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame

X said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:

Let's see, this went on between 09 through 11. "They (Williams) knew it was wrong when they (he) was doing it".....OK, am I losing my mind here? Is there a defense or justification of this? If this is true then Williams actions were egregious and he must go.

Right X, they "began" investigating in 10.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Gregg Williams.... Bounty Hunter?

I have to wonder if Fisher knew anything about this - what with his being a good friend of Williams. Plus, Fisher was on the competition committee, so if he DID know about it, and said nothing, then wow.... what a twist this is going to put on things. Obviously Fisher will never admit to knowing about it though. And hey, we all know this goes back decades. It's just very untimely that it goes public right after we hire the guy who orchestrated a program of it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I just don't want the team to have refs looking at them extra close, which will probably happen now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

If he paid for QB hits and the like - I'm not sure how bad that should be viewed. It is a constant stat they pull up on the screen. If he was paying for an injury, I don't want him here or in the league. I really don't give a shit if it goes on all the time. Pretty simple in my eyes. Fire his ass if he paid to have players injured.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doug Farrar seeks the ultimate punishment.

Gregg Williams’ bounty history should result in a lifetime ban

By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner (Yahoo Sports) – 10 minutes ago
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 30526.html

yahoo_greggwilliams.jpg

If Roger Goodell is for real, Gregg Williams has no place in the NFL. (AP)

The vile practice of paying players to knock other players out of games, known as a "bounty system" to most and referred to as "pay for performance " by longtime defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, was thrown into the spotlight on Friday, when the NFL released a 50,000 page report indicating that with Williams as their defensive coordinator, the New Orleans Saints participated in a system that paid players cash bonuses for hits that knocked opposing players -- most notably marquee quarterbacks like Brett Favre and Kurt Warner -- from games.

When the report came out, Williams -- now the St. Louis Rams' defensive coordinator -- tried to engage in damage control with this statement:

"I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, [Saints owner Tom] Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints. It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

Problem is, this wasn't something that first occurred to Williams in New Orleans. According to a report by the Washington Post, Williams had something very similar rigged up when he was the Washington Redskins' defensive coordinator from 2004 through 2007.

Three of the players described a coach who doled out thousands of dollars to Redskins defenders who measured up to Williams's scoring system for rugged play, including "kill shots" that knocked opposing teams' stars out of a game.

"You got compensated more for a kill shot than you did other hits," said one former player, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Players said compensation ranged from "hundreds to thousands of dollars," with the biggest sum any player received believed to be about $8,000.

"I never took it for anything [but] just incentive to make good, hard plays," said a current player, who requested anonymity. "But I'm pretty sure it did entice some guys to do more to a player than normal when it came to taking them out. I mean, that's cash. Let's just be honest about it.

Linebacker Philip Daniels was the only player willing to go on the record, according to the Post's Mark Maske. Daniels, who currently serves as the Redskins' director of player development, defended Williams' practices.

"I think it is wrong the way they're trying to paint [Williams]," Daniels added. "He never told us to go out there and break a guy's neck or break a guy's leg. It was all in the context of a good, hard football."

One anonymous player recalled Williams saying that "If you cut the snake's head off, the body will die."

"It was made clear that he was talking about not just running backs who turned their heads the opposite way and how they would go down, but also about other stars on offense that were the best players on that team," the player told Maske.

In the wake of the allegations against the Saints, and these subsequent revelations, two questions must be asked: First, what is to be done with Williams? Those naive enough to believe that he's the only one implementing such a system in the modern NFL would tend to side with the notion that Williams should be banned from the NFL for life, and that there is no place for such things in football.

Second: What is to be done about the "bounty" practice? Those who know the history of the NFL understand that these bounties go back decades. Former Philadelphia Eagles head coach Buddy Ryan was famous for it, and Williams now works for Rams head coach Jeff Fisher, who played and coached under Ryan. If Fisher fires Williams, can he do so with a straight face and without a hint of hypocrisy?

When the SpyGate scandal broke in 2007, ex-coach and current Fox Sports analyst Jimmy Johnson was asked about the practice that cost Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots a first-round draft pick and a total of $750,000 in fines. Johnson's response was clear, and precisely what the NFL didn't want anyone to say -- that if anyone thought that the Patriots were the only ones doing this, they must be nuts.

The bounty system is a long-held idea that has managed to escape public notice for a number of years. If Roger Goodell is as serious about player safety as he says he is, his next act must be to take Williams' punishment out of the hands of the men he works with and has known for decades. He must take this in hand and say to the world that indeed, a new and very serious sheriff in town.

Roger Goodell's next act must be to realize that Williams' apology is completely hollow, that his repugnant modus operandi will remain under other names and guises unless it is killed forever, and that removing Williams from the game on a lifetime basis is the best way to start.

Gregg Williams said it best: If you cut the snake's head off, the body will die

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

ramsince62 said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:

Let's see, this went on between 09 through 11. "They (Williams) knew it was wrong when they (he) was doing it".....OK, am I losing my mind here? Is there a defense or justification of this? If this is true then Williams actions were egregious and he must go.

Right X, they "began" investigating in 10.

Its the pressure to WIN. Thats why you hear about this being common throughout the league. in 09 they had to get through Warner and Favre (starr QBs) to get to the SB, they had to do whatever it took to win those games, and they felt like they had to to try and take those QBs out of the game. If the NFL just came out and told the public about everything that goes on behind the scenes there would probably be a lot of public outrage.

Anonymous

Re: Doug Farrar seeks the ultimate punishment.

Doug Farrar seeks the ultimate punishment

Doug Farrar wants Williams to be forced to watch the Star Wars prequels back to back?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

zn said:

Doug Farrar wants Williams to be forced to watch the Star Wars prequels back to back?
Don't tell me you're a Star Wars purist. Ugh. :sick:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

RamFan503 said:
If he paid for QB hits and the like - I'm not sure how bad that should be viewed. It is a constant stat they pull up on the screen. If he was paying for an injury, I don't want him here or in the league. I really don't give a shyte if it goes on all the time. Pretty simple in my eyes. Fire his ass if he paid to have players injured.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and how the league has taken extra precautions for it, how can people be ok with players payed to knock opponents out of the game? Cant that be looked at as "intent to injure?"

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Interesting tweet from Trey Wingo just now:

@wingoz
Beyond the health and safety issues of what the Saints did, paying players beyond their contracts is a violation of the Salary Cap.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

zn said:

Oh come on.....I enjoyed them lol. :mrgreen:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:

@wingoz
Beyond the health and safety issues of what the Saints did, paying players beyond their contracts is a violation of the Salary Cap.

Wow. So thats why QBs take their OL out for dinners, they cant pay them lol. Bradford cant pay the oline some of his salary to perform better. :what:

This could open up a whole new bag of worms.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

JdashSTL said:
zn said:

Me too. Those were badass.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

X said:
JdashSTL said:
zn said:

Me too. Those were badass.

Oh and its perfectly ok for us to discuss Gregg Williams and Star Wars

Boba Fett=Bounty Hunter=Gregg Williams :bg:

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

JdashSTL said:
X said:

@wingoz

Wow. So thats why QBs take their OL out for dinners, they cant pay them lol. Bradford cant pay the oline some of his salary to perform better. :what:

This could open up a whole new bag of worms.

Well let's be fair, I don't think Bradford should have bought any dinners last year, except for Dahl. Everyone else should have been paying for his meals.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick

Pretty simple for me. IF there was intent to injure, the hammer must drop. It is a fucking game after all.

GO RAMS!!!!

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick

I can't comment on that since I am probably the only human on the planet who has never seen Star Wars. It's true, but it is on my bucket list.