BountyGate: Does Goodell have Power to Impose Penalties?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Attachments

• bounty_appeal.jpg
    bounty_appeal.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 182

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
They can bark all they want (The NFLPA), but I don't think they'll be successful. I've been in a giant Union for most of my adult life, and grievances rarely (if ever) get met with a satisfactory resolution for the person or persons doing the appealing. Think about who has the leverage. The league office, or the players association? I know technically the league can't exist without the players, but think about it. Who is more easily replaced? The NFL, or players?

Almost every time a Union member used the Union to file a grievance with an employer (in this instance, Global Elevator Corporations), the Elevator Corporation would say, "So what? We fired him (or suspended him), and that's our call. Don't like it? Well, that's a shame. What's your next move?"

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The point I heard that I thought was laughable was the NFLPA saying Goodell can't suspend players because the conduct occurred before the current collective bargaining agreement was signed. :what:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
They can bark all they want (The NFLPA), but I don't think they'll be successful. I've been in a giant Union for most of my adult life, and grievances rarely (if ever) get met with a satisfactory resolution for the person or persons doing the appealing. Think about who has the leverage. The league office, or the players association? I know technically the league can't exist without the players, but think about it. Who is more easily replaced? The NFL, or players?

Almost every time a Union member used the Union to file a grievance with an employer (in this instance, Global Elevator Corporations), the Elevator Corporation would say, "So what? We fired him (or suspended him), and that's our call. Don't like it? Well, that's a shame. What's your next move?"
While I'm unfamiliar with the terms of the elevator union's agreement with the company, in this case it appears that the CBA, they just signed, does indeed include provisions for managing these scenarios, and Goodell did not comply with those provisions. If that can be shown, that there was a material breach of contract, then the NFLPA would have cause for a dmages claim against the NFL. I guess it all depends how strongly the NFLPA lawyers plan to manage adherence to the new CBA.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
interference said:
X said:

While I'm unfamiliar with the terms of the elevator union's agreement with the company, in this case it appears that the CBA, they just signed, does indeed include provisions for managing these scenarios, and Goodell did not comply with those provisions. If that can be shown, that there was a material breach of contract, then the NFLPA would have cause for a dmages claim against the NFL. I guess it all depends how strongly the NFLPA lawyers plan to manage adherence to the new CBA.
Most labor union CBAs are the same. They all have those provisions for due process.

All I'm saying is, they don't have much of a chance to reverse any decisions. This is just the Union following due process on behalf of one of their members. The likelihood that anything gets reversed, or any litigation arises from this; is slim. Very slim.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Most labor union CBAs are the same. They all have those provisions for due process.

All I'm saying is, they don't have much of a chance to reverse any decisions. This is just the Union following due process on behalf of one of their members. The likelihood that anything gets reversed, or any litigation arises from this; is slim. Very slim.
That's really too bad.

What, exactly, are Domonique Foxworth and DeMaurice Smith paid to do if not this?