Bountycase to be Overturned?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Both those opinions were from the same poster. We're (at least myself and X) aren't giving you shit for looking deeper. Some people are interested in it, some are not. I know it probably seems like I'm trying to bust your balls, but really I'm not.

Personally I agree that I think the NFL was too harsh and probably didn't follow the rules. The difference is, I don't think that there was a violation of due process, because it doesn't apply. In a legal sense, the NFL didn't break rules that way. However I think that their punishments dished out were harsh and the bounty gate was probably overblown a bit, and there were probably shady things being done with pressuring people to say things... Meaning that if they were a government organization (like police for example) then there would be a lot of violations... Since they aren't it doesn't apply legally, so they can't get in trouble, again legally, for it. It just speaks volumes of how they conduct business.

I also believe that Vilma is just out to save his own image. I think he's doing the right thing, calling attention to how things went down, but I think he's doing it for the wrong reasons. But hey, I don't blame him because I'd probably want to do the same thing.

I'm mostly just waiting for things to end before I really condemn anyone though, instead of following the process at every turn.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Both those opinions were from the same poster. We're (at least myself and X) aren't giving you shit for looking deeper. Some people are interested in it, some are not. I know it probably seems like I'm trying to bust your balls, but really I'm not.

Personally I agree that I think the NFL was too harsh and probably didn't follow the rules. The difference is, I don't think that there was a violation of due process, because it doesn't apply. In a legal sense, the NFL didn't break rules that way. However I think that their punishments dished out were harsh and the bounty gate was probably overblown a bit, and there were probably shady things being done with pressuring people to say things... Meaning that if they were a government organization (like police for example) then there would be a lot of violations... Since they aren't it doesn't apply legally, so they can't get in trouble, again legally, for it. It just speaks volumes of how they conduct business.

I also believe that Vilma is just out to save his own image. I think he's doing the right thing, calling attention to how things went down, but I think he's doing it for the wrong reasons. But hey, I don't blame him because I'd probably want to do the same thing.

I'm mostly just waiting for things to end before I really condemn anyone though, instead of following the process at every turn.
Okay, I can live with this reply with the exception of one point, and that is that the NFL did not provide for due-process even under the rules of the CBA, and the judge has already said so. She also said that she is going to do as much as she can, within the constraints of labor law, to rule to this effect. So, yeah, we'll have to see exactly what she ends up doing, based upon her own analysis of existing law, but Goodell didn't follow anyone's process, he just started blasting with both barrells shouting as loud as he could using the media as his vehicle. In this situation, what would you expect Vilma to do, take it in the shorts with a smile? Vilma is going the ONLY thing a responsible person can do, and that is to take it to court, and the Judge ALSO agreed with them on this point as well, saying that Vilma had exhausted all other avenues, especially given the irresponsible manner by which the NFL has gone about this case.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
@SportsLawGuy

Timing of RG decision to discipline Bounty4 goes beyond defamation.JV argued initial public statements re his involvement show RG prejudged

@SportsLawGuy

Prejudgment is grounds for vacating arb decision. Did RG announce Vilma's guilt before finishing investigation of his involvement?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
OMG, if this wasn't so serious it would be laughable. But the NFL can't keep its own lies straight, and now is trying to even wag the judge. This is pathetic.

Sorry folks, but the Emperor has no clothes.

@SportsLawGuy

Fujita's affidavit:Just before disciplining coaches,RG told him he "wasn't sure what he had on" players&would need time to decide punishment

@greystoke2u

@SportsLawGuy I remember hearing that very same statement. Funny how RG thinks his lies are above the truth!!

‏@SportsLawGuy

NFLPA trying to argue that RG's public statements re players' involvement before he rendered his decision show he was improperly biased.

What the players are now proving is that Goodell did NOT follow the rules of his own CBA, and therefore breached the agreement between the NFLPA & NFL. Therefore, entire process not valid and suspensions get thrown out, for now. Perhaps to be decided by new arbitrator, or by court of law... will have to wait and see.