Boudreau on Watkins "We had a come to Jesus meeting."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
X said:
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=9180&type=s

Jason Smith "I just gotta do it" - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - (Currently Playing)
Smith is very candid about where he is and where he needs to be.

Jason Smith reportedly talking about his situation, but like the last few fucking interviews I wanted to hear from there, this one isn't loading either. Someone needs to pay attention over there. The two Fisher interviews from yesterday STILL don't play.
Right side, left side, 2010 - 2012, I'm just going to be brutally honest, the guy just isn't a player that can play on the edge. I never saw it, and I reported it. Shurmer saved Smith's ass if anything. If you love the guy, are invested in the guy, give him a chance and move him inside, or cut him.
Make or break season. He can quote Nike all he wants, but he's going to have to show something now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
X said:

Jason Smith "I just gotta do it" - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - (Currently Playing)

Jason Smith reportedly talking about his situation, but like the last few fucking interviews I wanted to hear from there, this one isn't loading either. Someone needs to pay attention over there. The two Fisher interviews from yesterday STILL don't play.
Right side, left side, 2010 - 2012, I'm just going to be brutally honest, the guy just isn't a player that can play on the edge. I never saw it, and I reported it. Shurmer saved Smith's ass if anything. If you love the guy, are invested in the guy, give him a chance and move him inside, or cut him.
Make or break season. He can quote Nike all he wants, but he's going to have to show something now.
I was very sad to see him play on Sunday. He lost his job right before the game, and did nothing to win it back. Fire lit, no response. That apprehenses me. New word.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
X said:

I've been pushing for this for a while now. This way he won't have to worry about his technique in terms of hand extension and mirroring so much. Not that technique isn't important on the inside just the simple fact that if you get in trouble you can use your body a little more to get out of trouble. I always thought he was suited better for RG because of his aggressiveness, size, n play style but after hearing that from Softli idk. Maybe he would work on the left. It's worth a try for Christ sakes. Then you could still use him as your swing man if Richardson goes down. Unless they think he's totally incapable of learning guard for some reason.

I really want to hear this audio too Gawd dammit! 101s shitty audio again. Is it just me this time?

PhxRam

X said:

Kind of weird. I downloaded them, uploaded them, and I cant get them to play.

Plays fine locally

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
X said:

Me too.

PhxRam

X said:
PhxRam said:
X said:

Me too.

play fine locally for you?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PhxRam said:
X said:
PhxRam said:
X said:

Me too.

play fine locally for you?
Yeah, but only in Windows Media Player

bluecoconuts

Legend
Why don't they try putting Smith inside? I get that he's struggling to play outside, so they might as well try him inside. Then look for an OT with one of our first round picks next year.

Anonymous

bluecoconuts said:
Why don't they try putting Smith inside? I get that he's struggling to play outside, so they might as well try him inside. Then look for an OT with one of our first round picks next year.

Everyone who watches him in camp says that he does not have the build for playing inside.

Besides, listen to Softli on him. The issue isn't struggling to play outside. It's that he is just not the same aggressive player he was. Something has happened to the guy.

Don't know if you listened to it yet. Softli says he's not himself. Lost his confidence. In college and in year one he was a killer. Aggressive. Something has stunted that and they could not figure out what.

It's here, at 4:10 in:

http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 168&type=s

bluecoconuts

Legend
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:

Everyone who watches him in camp says that he does not have the build for playing inside.

Besides, listen to Softli on him. The issue isn't struggling to play outside. It's that he is just not the same aggressive player he was. Something has happened to the guy.

Don't know if you listened to it yet. Softli says he's not himself. Lost his confidence. In college and in year one he was a killer. Aggressive. Something has stunted that and they could not figure out what.

Probably the concussions.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:

His build is fine, much like Dahl. No reason he can't play inside. There is no prototypical size to play G. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and weights.

Anonymous

DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:

His build is fine, much like Dahl. No reason he can't play inside. There is no prototypical size to play G. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and weights.

Farr and Softli both said he's not built for the inside. I can't see him right now of
course, :cool: but it is notable that Farr and Softli, who watch camp, both think so.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
zn said:
DR RAM said:
bluecoconuts said:
zn said:
bluecoconuts said:

Farr and Softli both said he's not built for the inside. I can't see him right now of
course, :cool: but it is notable that Farr and Softli, who watch camp, both think so.

At this point I dont see why we cant at least try him out at OG. At this rate he'll be cut.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
At this point I dont see why we cant at least try him out at OG. At this rate he'll be cut.
You have to wonder if that'll be a "last resort" kinda thing with Smith. He does have a tackle body, but that's not to say that MANY offensive linemen who were drafted as tackles didn't make the switch to guard too at some point. Robert Gallery is a prime example of that.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
libertadrocks said:
You have to wonder if that'll be a "last resort" kinda thing with Smith. He does have a tackle body, but that's not to say that MANY offensive linemen who were drafted as tackles didn't make the switch to guard too at some point. Robert Gallery is a prime example of that.

Exactly. Smith is built like a OT. That doesnt mean he would necessary fail at guard. I think the fact they have already tried to work him as eligible pass catcher on the line shows some level of desperation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
X said:
libertadrocks said:

Exactly. Smith is built like a OT. That doesnt mean he would necessary fail at guard. I think the fact they have already tried to work him as eligible pass catcher on the line shows some level of desperation.
Former TE, so I can see the benefits of that. Sure sounds like they want to work a bunch of 'trick plays' into the playbook doesn't it? Hekker a former QB, Smith a former TE ... that could make for some interesting things, eh? I remember Brooks doing that a lot with Keith Lyle lining up behind center on punts where sometimes Lyle would motion and get right under the center. That certainly kept teams from playing the punt only.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It's sad w/ Jason Smith. You can only wonder how his career would've been if he never gotten those concussions. I don't think it's fair to be vile and ruthless towards Smith (ahem ramstalk ahem) b/c of that.

Anonymous

X said:
libertadrocks said:

Farr and Softli bring up Gallery and compare him to Smith in that regard.

And personally, I'm not joining Smith's funeral wake just yet. :cool: Sometimes players go through an impasse, a rough patch, and fight through it. Basically he is being asked by a tough taskmaster to retool his technique from the ground up. Some guys can adapt quickly to that, some struggle for a spell.

I go back and forth on Smith but this is one case where we may just have to wait and see.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think Smith has value at the very least as a swing tackle/guard. He is still paid too well for that, but oh well, you can't have to many versatile lineman. I am salivating at the thought of all the early draft picks we have over the next couple of years. I can see us trading down with one or both of our acquired first rounders (or our own, depending on position) to build our OL for years to come. We have so many options now with those picks. I would not mind seeing us trade pick(s) for veteran talent either, so long as it makes sense. At this point, I see OL and LB as our only glaring needs. We will be in a much more favorable cap position in the upcoming years as well. We would really REALLY have to screw this up to NOT be a very strong, young team going forward for the next 5-7 years. Get it done Snead!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
It's sad w/ Jason Smith. You can only wonder how his career would've been if he never gotten those concussions. I don't think it's fair to be vile and ruthless towards Smith (ahem ramstalk ahem) b/c of that.

Yeah no doubt. I've seen it happen in other sports, you get those head injuries and they can really screw you up. I hope that as camp goes he can get back into form though, I really do. At least be serviceable. I'm not asking for another Pace from him at this point, but just enough to get through the season. We'll have to move on though next year.