Boudreau on Watkins "We had a come to Jesus meeting."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oof. Smith is either really, really slow to learn and really really slow to adapt to coaching, or he's officially not a very good player. I understand he was injured and missed time, and was raw coming in, and all the other things, but this is not good for a player of his "projected" talent.

And Softli, please. Please. Please stop calling other men "babe." That's two consecutive videos now.

Just ... stop it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I got from that that Richardson is a definite starter at RT., and he'd like to start Rok at LG, but he is a little behind, so it wasn't appropriate to work him in there. Moose will get a look at LT, because everyone else sucked there, and this could solidify a swingman spot for moose. Thoughts?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
That interview was on point. Good stuff from Boudreau and Softli.

Glad he set Rok straight. Music to my ears that he is getting reps with the ones this week. Id like to see Turner get some time with the 1s at OG, just so what we know what we have there once Wells does return.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
I got from that that Richardson is a definite starter at RT., and he'd like to start Rok at LG, but he is a little behind, so it wasn't appropriate to work him in there. Moose will get a look at LT, because everyone else sucked there, and this could solidify a swingman spot for moose. Thoughts?
I agree on Richardson. I didn't get the impression that Boudreau was all that anxious to get Smith in a RT based simply on his draft status. Best man in. I guess it helps a lot that Richardson is familiar with the scheme, but it's a bit of a concern that Smith still has technique issues. I wonder where that battle would be if Smith *didn't* have technique issues. Sounds like Boudreau thinks Richardson is stronger.

I think they're putting Moose at LT because he wants versatility. I'm not sure that he meant it as an indictment of Saffold. He just wants guys who can play all over the line, is the impression I got from that. Or maybe you weren't saying that at all. I agree it could solidify a swingman spot for him though, depending on how he works out there against K.C. Which is going to be (as it always is against the Chiefs) a test of strength for this line.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
I agree on Richardson. I didn't get the impression that Boudreau was all that anxious to get Smith in a RT based simply on his draft status. Best man in. I guess it helps a lot that Richardson is familiar with the scheme, but it's a bit of a concern that Smith still has technique issues. I wonder where that battle would be if Smith *didn't* have technique issues. Sounds like Boudreau thinks Richardson is stronger.

I think they're putting Moose at LT because he wants versatility. I'm not sure that he meant it as an indictment of Saffold. He just wants guys who can play all over the line, is the impression I got from that. Or maybe you weren't saying that at all. I agree it could solidify a swingman spot for him though, depending on how he works out there against K.C. Which is going to be (as it always is against the Chiefs) a test of strength for this line.
Yeah, Saffold's backup is what I meant, because everyone else there looked pretty bad.

He lit up when talking about Watkins, and lit down when talking about Smith. He seems pretty easy to read.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
X said:
DR RAM said:

Yeah, Saffold's backup is what I meant, because everyone else there looked pretty bad.

He lit up when talking about Watkins, and lit down when talking about Smith. He seems pretty easy to read.
Good eye.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
That interview was on point. Good stuff from Boudreau and Softli.

[hil]Glad he set Rok straight[/hil]. Music to my ears that he is getting reps with the ones this week. [hil]Id like to see Turner get some time with the 1s at OG, just so what we know what we have there once Wells does return[/hil].
Agreed.

Me too, but i also want to see him get all the reps at C in case of a setback for Wells. Turner appeared to play well, but I'm not of the line calls, because i don't know the plays yet. I still say that Saffold - Turner - Wells - Watkins - Dahl, may be our best 5.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DR RAM said:
I still say that Saffold - Turner - Wells - Watkins - Dahl, may be our best 5.
That sounds good to me. I don't know enough about Turner though, so you'll have to tell me what it is you see about him that makes you believe he'll be the choice there. He hasn't had a lot of starts in New York, but he is familiar with the system obviously.

I like what Boudreau says about Watkins too. Sounds like he'll be a force if he can become a consistent player with a consistent work ethic.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
DR RAM said:
I still say that Saffold - Turner - Wells - Watkins - Dahl, may be our best 5.
That sounds good to me. I don't know enough about Turner though, so you'll have to tell me what it is you see about him that makes you believe he'll be the choice there. He hasn't had a lot of starts in New York, but he is familiar with the system obviously.

I like what Boudreau says about Watkins too. Sounds like he'll be a force if he can become a consistent player with a consistent work ethic.
From what I've seen of Turner so far is that he is smart, seems strong, and he sticks to blocks. I didn't see him miss any assignments. I thought he played a great game at C, I know he's played G for the Jets. 6'4" looks to be at about 315 pounds. He just looks stronger than Mattison and Moose, and could make a push for that position, a position that he's familiar with. He was was one of the three guys that looked good on the line during the game. I was very happy to see him play like that.

Watch this interview with him to get a glimpse of his personality.

[flv]http://prod.video.jets.clubs.nfl.com/NYJ/videos/2010/Features-Interviews/110125-robert-turner-inside-the-jets.flv[/flv]

Boudreau seems very excited about the Rok.

Funny, don't know if anyone noticed but Greco was the 2nd string C for the Browns, and he played very well.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The question I want him to ask is when they grade the players do they weigh the run blocking higher or lower than pass pro? Just curious since this will be a run first team.

The key is getting someone to beat Moose out at LG. Then he can be the swing T. Sure he could move to starting RT but if something happens to him then no backup LT.
Looking at the numbers, the loser at RT might have to be able to play G to stay active.

This week will be a good test for both T's as they will face speed rushers at a steep angle.

Long term I think the only ans. for this line in pass pro is Saffold to RT, stud LT and either a in house solution at LG or finding one. Yeah I know it's early but still.....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
The question I want him to ask is when they grade the players do they weigh the run blocking higher or lower than pass pro? Just curious since this will be a run first team.

The key is [hil]getting someone to beat Moose out at LG[/hil]. Then he can be the swing T. Sure he could move to starting RT but if something happens to him then no backup LT.
Looking at the numbers, the loser at RT might have to be able to play G to stay active.

This week will be a good test for both T's as they will face speed rushers at a steep angle.

Long term I think the only ans. for this line in pass pro is Saffold to RT, stud LT and either a in house solution at LG or finding one. Yeah I know it's early but still.....
My thoughts on Moose also. He could end up the starter at RT. I think he is our best backup T, but next week will probably show that. If I throw out the false start, I had Richardson over Smith in the game. Both good at run blocking, both not so good in pass pro.

That was a revelation for me after watching the game a couple times. I think we are OK at G, so Moose should focus on T, because there is no depth there. Obviously, the coaches saw that.

In any case, we should start the best 5 and then rotate if there is a problem.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

The key is [hil]getting someone to beat Moose out at LG[/hil]. Then he can be the swing T. Sure he could move to starting RT but if something happens to him then no backup LT.

My thoughts on Moose also. He could end up the starter at RT. I think he is our best backup T, but next week will probably show that. If I throw out the false start, I had Richardson over Smith in the game. Both good at run blocking, both not so good in pass pro.

That was a revelation for me after watching the game a couple times. I think we are OK at G, so Moose should focus on T, because there is no depth there. Obviously, the coaches saw that.

I wonder if they are looking to mix and match based on what they want that week or in game situations.
The only issue I have with Moose starting is if Saffold goes down or has in game issues they have to change out 2 positions to fix one.

I would be equally surprised by two things.
That Smith didn't beat out Rich.
That Smith makes the team.

RT is like closing time at the bar and all that's left is 2 fat ugly girls. No matter what happens your gonna take one of them home.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

[hil]#1 I wonder if they are looking to mix and match based on what they want that week or in game situations.[/hil]
[hil]#2 The only issue I have with Moose starting is if Saffold goes down or has in game issues they have to change out 2 positions to fix one.[/hil]

[hil]#3 I would be equally surprised by two things.
That Smith makes the team.[/hil]

RT is like closing time at the bar and all that's left is 2 fat ugly girls. No matter what happens your gonna take one of them home.
#1 That would surprise me.
#2 I agree. I would rather have that continuity. I'm assuming Moose isn't a part of the best 5. But I would start Moose or Dahl at RT if both Smith and Rich continue to struggle. I like my QB too much to allow him to continually get pummeled.
#3 From what I saw, Rich has the edge. Smith seems to have the inability to count as he failed to do on the last play of the 1st Quarter. That is a terrible missed assignment. Clemens got crushed. Even the Rok knew who to block, Smith didn't. Smith should have grabbed Hughes on that other play that he jumped. Now these are not mental scheme issues, they are game decision issues, I hope everyone knows the difference. I don't know if THAT can be fixed.

Anonymous

X said:
Oof. Smith is either really, really slow to learn and really really slow to adapt to coaching, or he's officially not a very good player. I understand he was injured and missed time, and was raw coming in, and all the other things, but this is not good for a player of his "projected" talent.

And Softli, please. Please. Please stop calling other men "babe." That's two consecutive videos now.

Just ... stop it.

I think Smith is a slow learner. Watch interviews with him. He gets anxious. Anyone who does anything that takes training and work knows that getting anxious can freeze yer mind. That's a mindreading psych 101 guess on my part. I don't think this kid needed the pressure of being the #2 pick, frankly. Worst case? Maybe he's one of those big guys who kept getting into football cause he was encouraged and it led to all sorts of rewards but in the end his heart is not deeply into football, the way guys like Jenkins and Laurainitis clearly are. Yeah I think he is a slow learner. For whatever reason.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

[hil]#1 I wonder if they are looking to mix and match based on what they want that week or in game situations.[/hil]
[hil]#2 The only issue I have with Moose starting is if Saffold goes down or has in game issues they have to change out 2 positions to fix one.[/hil]

[hil]#3 I would be equally surprised by two things.
That Smith makes the team.[/hil]

#1 That would surprise me.
#2 I agree. I would rather have that continuity. I'm assuming Moose isn't a part of the best 5. But I would start Moose or Dahl at RT if both Smith and Rich continue to struggle. I like my QB too much to allow him to continually get pummeled.
#3 From what I saw, Rich has the edge. Smith seems to have the inability to count as he failed to do on the last play of the 1st Quarter. That is a terrible missed assignment. Clemens got crushed. Even the Rok knew who to block, Smith didn't. Smith should have grabbed Hughes on that other play that he jumped. Now these are not mental scheme issues, they are game decision issues, I hope everyone knows the difference. I don't know if THAT can be fixed.

What I said about Smith his first year is still valid now. Smith is not a real football player he just plays one on Sundays.
No instincts.

PhxRam

Question for the gurus.. Been awhile so I cant remember.

What did he look like on the left side?

Maybe he just cant make the switch as easily as people would have hoped.

Anonymous

zn said:
X said:

Just ... stop it.

I think Smith is a slow learner. Watch interviews with him. He gets anxious. Anyone who does anything that takes training and work knows that getting anxious can freeze yer mind. That's a mindreading psych 101 guess on my part. I don't think this kid needed the pressure of being the #2 pick, frankly. Worst case? Maybe he's one of those big guys who kept getting into football cause he was encouraged and it led to all sorts of rewards but in the end his heart is not deeply into football, the way guys like Jenkins and Laurainitis clearly are. Yeah I think he is a slow learner. For whatever reason.

I take all this back.

I just listened to Softli on him. Softli says he's not himself. Lost his confidence. In college and in year one he was a killer. Aggressive. Something has stunted that and they could not figure out what.

It's here, at 4:10 in:

[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/08/08142012154530.mp3[/rp3]
http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2 ... 154530.mp3

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 180&type=s

Jason Smith "I just gotta do it" - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - (Currently Playing)
Smith is very candid about where he is and where he needs to be.

Jason Smith reportedly talking about his situation, but like the last few fucking interviews I wanted to hear from there, this one isn't loading either. Someone needs to pay attention over there. The two Fisher interviews from yesterday STILL don't play.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audio_player.php?a=9180&type=s

Jason Smith "I just gotta do it" - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - (Currently Playing)
Smith is very candid about where he is and where he needs to be.

Jason Smith reportedly talking about his situation, but like the last few fucking interviews I wanted to hear from there, this one isn't loading either. Someone needs to pay attention over there. The two Fisher interviews from yesterday STILL don't play.
Right side, left side, 2010 - 2012, I'm just going to be brutally honest, the guy just isn't a player that can play on the edge. I never saw it, and I reported it. Shurmer saved Smith's ass if anything. If you love the guy, are invested in the guy, give him a chance and move him inside, or cut him.