Bosignore: Josh Reynolds Getting McVay's Attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Are we keeping 6 or 7? I think if we keep 6 then Pharaoh is in trouble...

Watkins
Austin
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas

Pharaoh - In if we keep 7
Spruce - He's gone for sure

They don't even have to decide on Mike Thomas until game 5.

Thomas has not shown as much versatility or even skill as a wide receiver as Pharoh Cooper in my opinion.

Cooper is a lock, his performance in the preseason game solidified that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In just one practice, Reynolds has become my favorite.
I wanna see a game...but I'm thinking bout changing my avatar!
I wonder if Josh Reynolds had not gotten hurt, if Snead would have pulled the trigger on Sammy Watkins?
My thoughts as well, if Tavon and Reynolds were healthy, would the need for Sammy arise??? but I love the Sammy move...
Maybe we could have shipped EJ for a offensive guard?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I wonder if Josh Reynolds had not gotten hurt, if Snead would have pulled the trigger on Sammy Watkins? The better and better that Reynolds does, probably the less likely they re-sign Sammy?
What do you think?

really? If SW earns his keep he should be a priority to resign, IMHO.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
really? If SW earns his keep he should be a priority to resign, IMHO.
I was just posing the question, because Reynolds may be able to do many things that Sammy does, without the injury history or the large contract.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think the goal is certainly to build around Watkins and Even Kupp in the slot.
The 6: Watkins, Woods and Kupp appear to be the starters for now with
Reynolds, Thomas, and Cooper rounding it out. I don't see Austin going anywhere and between WR, RB and ST he is 1 spot over 3 different positions so not really only a 7th WR.
LONG TERM:
I think the hope is Watkins, and Cupp, with Reynolds and Woods sharing time in 3 and 4 WR sets.
Thomas still needs to develop as well as Cooper. Yes Reynolds is an unproven commodity too but a McVay pick and even more Versatility than Thomas.
In Theory we are in the best shape of the last decade but the parts are still in the "show me" stage.
That was for my ST Louis friends.

Last edited:

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Austin is the odd man out. If they can't trade him they need to cut him.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I wonder if Josh Reynolds had not gotten hurt, if Snead would have pulled the trigger on Sammy Watkins? The better and better that Reynolds does, probably the less likely they re-sign Sammy?
What do you think?
They sign Watkins because he is proven; and Snead was pursuing him for months; he is probowl level quality while Josh is unknown

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really sure why so many people are set on Thomas. We should have plenty of potential to stretch the field in Watkins and Reynolds. Thomas has shown he is a good route runner but he also has hands of stone, the anti-clutch trait, and a 4 game suspension. Pharaoh Cooper and Nelson Spruce are solid ST contributors if that's the concern and they probably won't botch a game's opening kickoff.
Thomas is basically a freebie, he wont count against the 53 man roster for 1st 4 games.
Cutting him doesnt open a roster spot for another WR
He actually has good hands, just has too many concentration drops

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to build a good team when a DT is eating most of your cap

The Packers gave Reggie White the richest contract for a non-QB in NFL history at that time. All he helped them do was go to the playoffs every year he played for them, go to back-to-back Super Bowls, and win a Super Bowl.

But I'm sure Donald taking up roughly 12% of our cap space will make it impossible for us to function. ;)

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gotta wait on Reynolds. One practice is not nearly enough to make an evaluation. It's going to take the next 3 pre-season games for the WR corps to shake out. Reynolds may need more development. Austin may end up IR'd. He hasn't taken any snaps in pre-season and hardly has a spot reserved. Spruce getting written off already, even though he has caught everything thrown his way. Speed is not everything. Sticky hands and getting open, even though it may be for short yards may get him a spot. Thomas is out for 4 games so they aren't even thinking of him yet.

I have no idea how WR is going to shake out. Woods, Watkins and Kupp are probably safe (barring injury). The rest depends on how well they perform the rest of TC and pre-season.

I have a sneaking hunch there will be surprise or two.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Packers gave Reggie White the richest contract for a non-QB in NFL history at that time. All he helped them do was go to the playoffs every year he played for them, go to back-to-back Super Bowls, and win a Super Bowl.

But I'm sure Donald taking up roughly 12% of our cap space will make it impossible for us to function. ;)
Any idea what Warren Sapp contract was like? Have to believe he was their highest paid player as well

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

12% of available cap, or 12% total. Huge difference, also that's a serious question. Donald is probably on his way to the hof, but is he Reggie White right now? Were the Packers tight up against the cap and coming off a 4 win season?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hard to build a good team when a DT is eating most of your cap
Not to belabor the point but "most" of the cap would be 51%.
That is not going to happen and that is why they are negotiating with him.
Plus you will notice that they raise the cap every year.
Donald is a must sign and I know he wants to be out there it's just that he has to listen to his agent.
I'm pretty confident they'll sign him for a long-term deal at what he is worth.
We are already winning this game of chicken by proving that we've got depth at that position and looked pretty good against Dallas.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They sign Watkins because he is proven; and Snead was pursuing him for months; he is probowl level quality while Josh is unknown
...with an injury history and a soon to be large contract...I'm not hating, I really like Watkins

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Not to belabor the point but "most" of the cap would be 51%.
That is not going to happen and that is why they are negotiating with him.
Plus you will notice that they raise the cap every year.
Donald is a must sign and I know he wants to be out there it's just that he has to listen to his agent.
I'm pretty confident they'll sign him for a long-term deal at what he is worth.
We are already winning this game of chicken by proving that we've got depth at that position and looked pretty good against Dallas.

He's going to eat up most of the available cap, while still under contract...

And Donald does not have to listen to his agent. His agent works for him. Plenty of athletes have fired their agents because of negotiations. Next offseason is going to be a very important one with quite a few key players contracts ending. Do you want to lose say...3 key players but you get to keep Donald?

I love Donald, but this team is building something. We need to keep our nucleus intact. We can't do that is our available cap all goes to one player.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
“It’s nice when you have a good complementary group and everybody has something unique about their game,” McVay said.

Thsi is the modern day passing attack, several guys with divergent skillsets to use all over the field. This is what the Rams used to have during the 99-01 era.

I think the guy playing QB may have helped a lot more.