Bosignore: Josh Reynolds Getting McVay's Attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Bonsignore: Rookie Josh Reynolds another intriguing addition to Rams’ revamped receiving corps

IRVINE — The Rams added a shiny new toy to their offense this week. A big, explosive wide receiver able to stretch a defense, go up in traffic and get the football, or be a Red Zone threat able to turn third-down throws to the corner of the end zone into touchdowns.

And he put a little bit of all of that on display Tuesday when he came up with a handful of big catches that drew “oohs” and “aahs” from fans who made their way to UC Irvine for Rams camp.

Oh wait, you thought we were talking about Sammy Watkins, didn’t you?

Watkins figures to do plenty of that in the weeks ahead as he transitions to the Rams from the Buffalo Bills, who sent him to Los Angeles for cornerback E.J. Gaines and a future second-round pick.

But Tuesday actually belonged to wide receiver Josh Reynolds, the lanky 6-foot-4 playermaker the Rams drafted out of Texas A&M in the fourth round, then waited patiently for the last two weeks for him to finally do his thing.

The delayed reaction was the cause of a nagging quad issue that kept Reynolds on the sideline as the Rams conducted the formative part of training camp.

Having to wait out the injury killed him as much as it did his new bosses, who were eager to see their potential new difference-maker work his way into a wide receiver group that has undergone a near-complete makeover from last year.

“Definitely frustration,” Reynolds said of the injury. “But at the end of the day you have to be a professional about it and make sure you’re body is 100 percent before coming back. “Otherwise it can cause major issues.”

That opportunity finally arrived Tuesday, and Reynolds wasted no time making a big impression. And It didn’t take long for people to notice

“He had a great day,” said Rams quarterback Jared Goff. “He made a lot of big plays. Showed some stuff we haven’t seen yet, and it was really good to see. Some stuff downfield – he was obviously fresh – but, good player. Smart. He’s done a good job.”

Reynolds was pleased with his return.

“I felt great,” he said. “Fresh legs, I was moving fast and definitely getting good looks,” he said. “When you’re out, you never feel like you’re getting any better so being able to come back out here and get my techniques is always a great thing.”

And with that, the box into which Goff will reach for tools got even bigger and better.

The big get, obviously, is Watkins, who joins rookies Cooper Kupp and Gerald Everett, free agent pickup Robert Woods and second-year holdovers Tyler Higbee, Pharoh Cooper, Mike Thomas and Nelson Spruce in a nearly completely redone wide receiver group.

That doesn’t even account for veteran Tavon Austin, for whom new coach Sean McVay is determined to figure out an optimal role.

Now add Reynolds, who brings the element of size and a broad catch ratio, and the entire Rams receiver dynamic has changed dramatically from last season.

“It’s nice when you have a good complementary group and everybody has something unique about their game,” McVay said. “But you have to also be mindful these guys can all do a little bit of everything as well.

You don’t want to be predictable, but you want to put guys in position where they’re doing things that they do best but also be mindful of what the defense is doing and what you’re presenting them.

The more versatility you can have at the wide receiver position the more beneficial it’s going to be for our group as a whole.”

It remains to be seen how Reynolds figures into things given how crowded the wide receiver room now is, and with Watkins, Woods, Austin and Kupp slated for the bulk of the playing time.

But he was getting work with the first-team offense in situational 11-on-11 plays Wednesday, so it’s obvious Reynolds is working his way onto McVay’s radar.

“Josh is one of those guys that – he’s got a great stride length, consistently made big plays throughout the course of his career in college and he’s kind of one of those guys that’s deceivingly fast,” McVay said.

“I think getting him back out there healthy – he’s continuing to grow. It’s funny, right before he got that injury I was just telling him how much improvement he’s made from the offseason program, so it will be good to get Josh back out there and watch him compete against the Raiders on Saturday.”

Those are attributes typically associated more with premium draft picks rather than a guy taken in the fourth round.

But in spite of starting three years for the Aggies and never registering fewer than 51 catches and 840 yards — and going beast mode against Kansas State in the Alamo Bowl with 12 catches for 154 yards and two touchdowns last year — Reynolds took a bit of a tumble on draft day.

“You always have higher expectations for yourself, so did I go in the round I wanted to?” Reynolds said. “No.”

That 115 players were taken before him is a slight point of contention, but Reynolds is already over the disappointment.

He’s happy to be in Los Angeles, and even happier to be part of a young wide receiver group some believe will be a catalyst that pulls the Rams offense into the 21st century.

“We have a whole bunch of talent at receiver,” he said. “Lust a bunch of guys who can do a bunch of different things. A Tavon, who is a speed guy.

Robert Woods who can do everything. Sammy is a playmaker and Kupp is a great route-runner. It’s all kinds of guys who can bring all sorts of different elements to the position.”

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/1...ng-addition-to-rams-revamped-receiving-corps/

rams_football_24242865.jpg

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
In just one practice, Reynolds has become my favorite. Yes, even over Kupp and Spruce (he's not going to make it).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Josh Reynolds had not gotten hurt, if Snead would have pulled the trigger on Sammy Watkins? The better and better that Reynolds does, probably the less likely they re-sign Sammy?
What do you think?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
@LoyalRam I think Sammy Watkins is still in the big picture unless his foot acts up again. (knock on wood) But I could envision Sammy & Josh as the outside guys Kupp as slot. Woods as your swiss army knife. With both our young TE's. then build the rest of the Wr's via draft over the next few years. Think of the size w/ both big wrs & both TEs on the field..Me like a lot

Edit: Forgot Thomas He seems to have the coaches eye. lets hope he gets his act together when he returns.

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
Are we keeping 6 or 7? I think if we keep 6 then Pharaoh is in trouble...

Watkins
Austin
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas

Pharaoh - In if we keep 7
Spruce - He's gone for sure

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I dream of dumping Austin, but realistically i don't see it this year

6, the 7th isn't worth a roster spot imho. need to keep one of those young extra OLB to develop or DL

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I wonder if Josh Reynolds had not gotten hurt, if Snead would have pulled the trigger on Sammy Watkins? The better and better that Reynolds does, probably the less likely they re-sign Sammy?
What do you think?
Watkins, Woods, Kupp. Thomas, Reynolds, Cooper. ......Has a ring to it ;)

MachS

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately I'm feeling the same way about Austin. Only because I've seen inconsistent hands and no significant improvements over 3 years. But being in a real offense now with real coaching could change everything for him. I really hope so because I haven't seen many guys as talented in open space. If he goes nuts this year then the salary is justified and we're all happy. If he continues his trend then he's gone after this year and I think the cap hit is like $5M.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Strictly based on reports I've read, both beat writers and camp reporters, here's my SWAG.

Watkins
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds

And in that order...

Austin
Cooper

Again, in that order...

One of Thomas or Spruce in case of injury OR if they keep an unlikely 7th WR.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Strictly based on reports I've read, both beat writers and camp reporters, here's my SWAG.

Watkins
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds

And in that order...

Austin
Cooper

Again, in that order...

One of Thomas or Spruce in case of injury OR if they keep an unlikely 7th WR.

Makes a ton of sense... Cooper vs. Thomas when he's able to return I say Thomas is a no brainer wr & STs wise

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Are we keeping 6 or 7? I think if we keep 6 then Pharaoh is in trouble...

Watkins
Austin
Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Thomas

Pharaoh - In if we keep 7
Spruce - He's gone for sure

Thomas is out to start the season... that will buy Spruce some time.... again..Thomas has to prove himself... Pharaoh isn't in trouble in my opinion..he played well Saturday...

and don't forget Shakier Ryan as a return man...although he'd be a practice squad candidate...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What do you think?

Doubtful. We had Isaac Bruce and still drafted Torry Holt.

Trade Austin if he doesn't ball out this season, use the money to resign Watkins. Watkins, Reynolds, Kupp, and Woods become your top 4.

Another twist, if Woods drops to 4th receiver by years end, he should be traded too

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doubtful. We had Isaac Bruce and still drafted Torry Holt.

Trade Austin if he doesn't ball out this season, use the money to resign Watkins. Watkins, Reynolds, Kupp, and Woods become your top 4.

Another twist, if Woods drops to 4th receiver by years end, he should be traded too
I don't remember, but was Isaac Bruce in a contract year in 1999? Just saying that if Reynolds is really good stretching the field, do they want to pay for a long term contract for Watkins when Donald, Ogletree are up for contracts? I want to keep Watkins myself, if he can keep healthy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you think?

I'd still re-sign Sammy. Reynolds is on a rookie contract. If he turns into a great WR, that's even better for us.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't remember, but was Isaac Bruce in a contract year in 1999? Just saying that if Reynolds is really good stretching the field, do they want to pay for a long term contract for Watkins when Donald, Ogletree are up for contracts? I want to keep Watkins myself, if he can keep healthy.

I think we need to support our QB as much as possible.

DTs don't win championships. I'd rather sign Watkins and Ogletree and have cap space to add pieces than to be forced to let both walk because we signed Donald

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

DTs don't win championships. I'd rather sign Watkins and Ogletree and have cap space to add pieces than to be forced to let both walk because we signed Donald
I'm for signing all of the above, with Donald FIRST of course!:rockon:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Not really sure why so many people are set on Thomas. We should have plenty of potential to stretch the field in Watkins and Reynolds. Thomas has shown he is a good route runner but he also has hands of stone, the anti-clutch trait, and a 4 game suspension. Pharaoh Cooper and Nelson Spruce are solid ST contributors if that's the concern and they probably won't botch a game's opening kickoff.

TexasRam

Legend

We can't sign everyone. I'm beginning to wonder if our young rookie linebackers continue to shine in preseason if Olgeltree is odd man out to sign Watkins.

Mcvay is an offensive minded coach lest we forget.

But for all we know Kupp and Reynolds could have big rookie years and make Watkins new contract onsiderations irrelevant. His name alone and draft position may demand big bucks. Would make a lot of sense to get the better rookie contract values with the young guys in that scenario.

For at least one year it should be fun though.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Pretty crazy how we went from having not much at all to having the decision of who to cut.
I'm pretty excited about all the weapons (or potential) that we have and more importantly someone running and calling the offense that isn't stuck in 1998. Even if we have a middle of the road offense in terms of stats that's light years ahead of the shit we've been watching the last few years.
Nothing but good things coming!