Bortles Gets 2nd Round Grade From Nfl Board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jrry32, with all this QB talk, which I don't really think the Rams will actually use a draft pick on, I ask you in all seriousness because I think you actually look objectively at guys, what about signing Mark Sanchez? I know his name is radioactive but his familiarity with the system is the obvious benefit and I think he could actually provide some stability as a backup. I know most are pretty down on this guy but he's still pretty capable IMO. Got some of the best ball handling skills for a QB that I've seen and although his accuracy has been problematic, he's shown that he can elevate his game if the situation is right. I think as a backup in what will be an improved version of what Schottenheimer was doing with the Jets would be a good solution for the Rams.

I like his upside more than Clemens, he's only 27 and he should be relatively cheap. Plus, the Rams don't spend a draft pick on a QB you hope never plays. Sanchez was actually showing improvement every year until Tebow came along and had a really good post season his first couple of years. There were many things stacked against him and I'm not saying he's anyone's long term solution as a starter but as a backup, his familiarity with the system, loads of experience, playoff resume' and stepping out from under the expectations in NY would all make him an ideal target for the Rams in FA.

If he's willing to come here cheap, I'd sign him. He's not starter material but he looked starting caliber under Schotty. He'd be a good backup.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If he's willing to come here cheap, I'd sign him. He's not starter material but he looked starting caliber under Schotty. He'd be a good backup.
I guess that's too much of an assumption on my part. I don't even know what kind of rapport he and BS had. Sanchez may hate him for all I know. And Sanchez may still be looking for a starting gig or a chance to compete in NYJ. But the way that GM screwed him over by not giving him fair snaps in preseason and then getting him hurt against the scrubs makes me think he's done in NYJ.

As much as he was handed that job that team did everything it could to undermine him after a couple of years. Maybe they were just trying to push him but I think it really hurt him to lose Braylon Edwards and have Tebow brought in. I know they had Plaxico as that tall WR opposite Holmes but he was 34 and Edwards was only 27.

Speaking of which, he's only 30 right now but looks like he's ready to wash out of the league. I don't see any real injury history, is he just that much of a head case? It sure seem like it. Would love his talent for the Rams as he's still relatively young but the guy can't seem to get his head on straight and has been bouncing from team to team since getting traded from Cleveland. Perhaps a Fisher reclamation project or too far gone?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess that's too much of an assumption on my part. I don't even know what kind of rapport he and BS had. Sanchez may hate him for all I know. And Sanchez may still be looking for a starting gig or a chance to compete in NYJ. But the way that GM screwed him over by not giving him fair snaps in preseason and then getting him hurt against the scrubs makes me think he's done in NYJ.

As much as he was handed that job that team did everything it could to undermine him after a couple of years. Maybe they were just trying to push him but I think it really hurt him to lose Braylon Edwards and have Tebow brought in. I know they had Plaxico as that tall WR opposite Holmes but he was 34 and Edwards was only 27.

Speaking of which, he's only 30 right now but looks like he's ready to wash out of the league. I don't see any real injury history, is he just that much of a head case? It sure seem like it. Would love his talent for the Rams as he's still relatively young but the guy can't seem to get his head on straight and has been bouncing from team to team since getting traded from Cleveland. Perhaps a Fisher reclamation project or too far gone?

Edwards is done I think. Lost his athleticism due to recurring knee problems.

Sanchez may hate him but if he's game, I'd sign him. You can do much worse. Guy would be one of the best backups in the league if he plays as well as he did in NYJ in Schotty's offense.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Blake Bortles sounds like a Star Wars character. I picture him in that sh1tty band in the cantina in Mos Eisley

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wouldn't touch Sanchez for the following reasons.......

He is massively immature. He will bring a media frenzy about a QB controversy, especially if he actually plays or if Bradford struggles a little. He will cost more than he is worth. He isn't that good to begin with.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched almost every UCF game this year. Besides his impressive physical skills/stature ... Blake is fucking CLUTCH.

There is no way we are going to luck into him. He's going to be drafted early if he does decide to enter the draft. He'll go in the top 5.

I'll bet mad ROD cash that he goes top 5 if anyone is feeling froggy... let me know.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It very well could be Bortles that QB needy teams fall in love with.

Let's hope!

duckhunter

Starter
I watched almost every UCF game this year. Besides his impressive physical skills/stature ... Blake is freaking CLUTCH.

There is no way we are going to luck into him. He's going to be drafted early if he does decide to enter the draft. He'll go in the top 5.

I'll bet mad ROD cash that he goes top 5 if anyone is feeling froggy... let me know.

I watched Bortles 4 or 5 games this year and he's #2 on my list if he comes out. The shootout between him and Bridgewater was the best game I watched all year. The QB play was extraordinaire. The bowl game was his worst performance this year.

If he comes out I'm with you on betting all my ROD cash on his top 5 selection.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I watched Bortles 4 or 5 games this year and he's #2 on my list if he comes out. The shootout between him and Bridgewater was the best game I watched all year. The QB play was extraordinaire. The bowl game was his worst performance this year.

If he comes out I'm with you on betting all my ROD cash on his top 5 selection.

My oldest son is a student at UCF, so I followed the team with him all year. There were multiple times throughout the season that I just knew their streak was ending... but Blake was always money in the end. Remarkably clutch is putting it mildly.

duckhunter

Starter
My oldest son is a student at UCF, so I followed the team with him all year. There were multiple times throughout the season that I just knew their streak was ending... but Blake was always money in the end. Remarkably clutch is putting it mildly.

I agree. There's minimum things to look for such as 60% completion rate, improved #s each year, can make all the NFL throws. Then there are the things you look for that separate a kid from the pack. It would be hard to pass this kid up.

If he doesn't come out this year, Mariotta and him will vie for #1 next year. Makes sense for Snead to say he wants a #1 this year and next if people want our pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watched almost every UCF game this year. Besides his impressive physical skills/stature ... Blake is freaking CLUTCH.

Yep, Bortles elevates his game in the 4th quarter. Also, now reports are that he got a 1st round grade from the NFL Board:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-draft-advisory-board-20140103,0,3251429.post

moklerman

Warner-phile
If Bortles is Big-Ben like, does that mean we should keep an eye on where Whisenhunt lands? Would Arians make a play for him to eventually(soon?) replace Palmer in AZ? I'll gladly take Fitzgerald in exchange for helping them move up. :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think we can afford Fitz...as much as I'd love to have him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read that Bortles actually got a first round grade.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
And when a qb gets a first round grade , it shifts to top ten almost automatically, LATELY

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did Geno Smith get a first round grade?