Bortles Gets 2nd Round Grade From Nfl Board

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-grade-from-committee?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

UCF junior quarterback Blake Bortles will meet with Knights coach George O'Leary on Friday to go over his NFL Advisory Board grade, the Orlando Sentinel reported Thursday afternoon.

Bortles (6-foot-4, 230 pounds), one of the fastest-rising prospects in the nation this season, led UCF to a stunning 52-42 upset of Baylor in Wednesday night's Fiesta Bowl for the biggest victory in school history.

Phil Savage, executive director of the Reese's Senior Bowl and a former NFL executive, tweeted Wednesday night that Bortles was given a second-round grade by the NFL Draft Advisory Board.

There are a lot of quarterback-needy teams, and numerous analysts, including NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah, have Bortles among their top three quarterbacks nationally.

Bortles' Fiesta Bowl performance was somewhat uneven. He threw for 301 yards and three touchdowns and also rushed for a career-high 93 yards and a TD. He also threw two interceptions, and two of his TD passes were short passes that wide receiver Rannell Hall turned into long TDs with sheer speed.

While Bortles settled down in the second half, he looked jittery in the pocket at times in the first half and made some off-balance and off-target throws when pressured.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If Bortles somehow lasts till the 2nd round(i don't see that happening), i'd say grab him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really don't think a back up QB is that high of a priority considering our other needs. No need to get jumpy and pick a guy that early that we hope will not see the field for the next few years.

Alan

Legend
I agree with blackbart and in addition, I only looked at the stats halfway through the 4th quarter of his bowl game and he had 3 TDs and 2 INTs. Not very good performance when you're trying to showcase your skills.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not lasting to the second. Has Ben Roethlisberger/Jake Locker type talent. He'll go top 15.

The grades from the advisory board are always on the low end of the totem pole.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yea, he will be pretty high I believe. I haven't seen him play, but the hype alone is enough to get him there.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He'll go top 10.

The thing with these evaluations is they are graded against past prospects and their success. So saying he has second round talent might be very fair. They can be very accurate projections based on talent.
But you are right top 10 maybe even top 5.

V3

Hall of Fame
I really don't think a back up QB is that high of a priority considering our other needs. No need to get jumpy and pick a guy that early that we hope will not see the field for the next few years.

If that did indeed happen and he fell to us somehow, the value would be way too damn good to pass up. It'd be similar to GB and Rodgers. GB wasn't planning on taking him but for some reason Rodgers kept falling and the value was too good to pass up. Rodgers sat on the bench for a few years before he finally got a chance. You know the rest.

I'm not saying he'll be Rodgers but you have to admit, that value would be A+.

At the very worst, the Rams could trade him in a couple years.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Nope.
Not that high of a priority/need.

I agree, but most here would take McCarron in the 3rd in a heart beat. I rather wait till 4th/5th round before drafting a back up. but if a top 10 talent falls to the 2nd, i say grab him. And if Bortles falls to the 2nd somehow(he wont), i would not hesitate to grab him, especially with Bradfords injury history.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I agree, but most here would take McCarron in the 3rd in a heart beat. I rather wait till 4th/5th round before drafting a back up. but if a top 10 talent falls to the 2nd, i say grab him. And if Bortles falls to the 2nd somehow(he wont), i would not hesitate to grab him, especially with Bradfords injury history.

True.
And if nothing else, we could trade him at some point if needed.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If that did indeed happen and he fell to us somehow, the value would be way too damn good to pass up. It'd be similar to GB and Rodgers. GB wasn't planning on taking him but for some reason Rodgers kept falling and the value was too good to pass up. Rodgers sat on the bench for a few years before he finally got a chance. You know the rest.

I'm not saying he'll be Rodgers but you have to admit, that value would be A+.

At the very worst, the Rams could trade him in a couple years.
Fell to us in the second round? Or something later?

I don't think we are good enough to take that kind of a luxury pick in the second. OL, CB, S, DT, WR would all be places I would look first but what do I know:lol::cray:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fell to us in the second round? Or something later?

I don't think we are good enough to take that kind of a luxury pick in the second. OL, CB, S, DT, WR would all be places I would look first but what do I know:lol::cray:

If he falls to the 2nd, I don't care how good we are or aren't, we need to take him.

moklerman

Warner-phile
jrry32, with all this QB talk, which I don't really think the Rams will actually use a draft pick on, I ask you in all seriousness because I think you actually look objectively at guys, what about signing Mark Sanchez? I know his name is radioactive but his familiarity with the system is the obvious benefit and I think he could actually provide some stability as a backup. I know most are pretty down on this guy but he's still pretty capable IMO. Got some of the best ball handling skills for a QB that I've seen and although his accuracy has been problematic, he's shown that he can elevate his game if the situation is right. I think as a backup in what will be an improved version of what Schottenheimer was doing with the Jets would be a good solution for the Rams.

I like his upside more than Clemens, he's only 27 and he should be relatively cheap. Plus, the Rams don't spend a draft pick on a QB you hope never plays. Sanchez was actually showing improvement every year until Tebow came along and had a really good post season his first couple of years. There were many things stacked against him and I'm not saying he's anyone's long term solution as a starter but as a backup, his familiarity with the system, loads of experience, playoff resume' and stepping out from under the expectations in NY would all make him an ideal target for the Rams in FA.