Book on the 1951 Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
9781476678429.jpg

This was a book published last year. I finished reading it recently. There are a couple other books out there on the 1950s Rams, but I think this is the best one. Packed with information and little known stories about the Rams back then that you can't find anywhere on the Internet. They picked the Rams to write about because they consider the 1950s Rams to be among the greatest teams ever assembled.

There are way too many anecdotes to include in this thread but I'll just list some that I found interesting.

1951 Rams had an all rookie offensive line. That's the only time in NFL history a team had that and won a championship. And they allowed the fewest sacks in the league while finishing first in both yards per pass attempt and rush attempt.

This book highlights Eddie Kotal's career, who was a Hall of Fame semifinalist last year. He was the first full time scout in the NFL, at a time when no other NFL team had one. So the Rams were pioneers in scouting college talent as well. They say this is how the Rams were able to stockpile so much talent. In 1951, the league had a 33 man roster, and 18 of the Rams 33 players would be selected to at least one Pro Bowl in their careers. Eddie Kotal is credited with finding Andy Robustelli, Tank Younger, Deacon Dan Towler, Larry Brink, Eddie Meador, Deacon Jones, Big Daddy Lipscomb, among many others. The Rams would scout small colleges and black colleges at a time when no other NFL team was willing to.

All that talent is a big reason why they could make some lopsided trades. 11 players for Les Richter in 1954 and nine players for Ollie Matson in 1959.

Their advance scouting is also why they landed Norm Van Brocklin. They knew he would graduate college a year early and took him in 1949. No other team knew he was available to draft that year.

The Rams were so renowned for their scouting that when the Dodgers moved to LA they asked the Rams owner, Dan Reeves, for advice on how they could set up scouting like that for their baseball team.

It is also emphasized the Rams were the ones to reintegrate black players into the NFL. Tank Younger was the first black college athlete to sign with an NFL team.

When the Rams top running backs are mentioned, Deacon Dan Towler doesn't seem to come up much. But it seems like he should be way up the list too. His career didn't last that long and his numbers might look modest. But it is clear he was a superstar in the Bull Elephant backfield.

About half this book is biographies on all the members of the 1951 Rams, including the coaching staff, and their lives both with the Rams and after they left football. I really liked that. Stood out to me that 12 players ended up coaching for either the Rams or other teams in the NFL. Four became head coaches. Others were assistant coaches for 1972-73 Dolphins, John Madden's Raiders and Vince Lombardi's Packers. Norb Hecker was a part of the most championship teams, eight, as a player, assistant coach and front office executive. He won with the 1951 Rams, three with Lombardi's Packers and then four more with Bill Walsh's 49ers.

All kinds of interesting facts like this. The Pro Football Researchers Association is really among the best when it comes to preserving NFL history, especially in the game's first few decades.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's remarkable that the 1951 Rams had TWO Hall of Fame QB's on the roster at the same time. Not many teams can boast in that/
Norm Van Brocklin
Bob Waterfield

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
9781476678429.jpg

This was a book published last year. I finished reading it recently. There are a couple other books out there on the 1950s Rams, but I think this is the best one. Packed with information and little known stories about the Rams back then that you can't find anywhere on the Internet. They picked the Rams to write about because they consider the 1950s Rams to be among the greatest teams ever assembled.

There are way too many anecdotes to include in this thread but I'll just list some that I found interesting.

1951 Rams had an all rookie offensive line. That's the only time in NFL history a team had that and won a championship. And they allowed the fewest sacks in the league while finishing first in both yards per pass attempt and rush attempt.

This book highlights Eddie Kotal's career, who was a Hall of Fame semifinalist last year. He was the first full time scout in the NFL, at a time when no other NFL team had one. So the Rams were pioneers in scouting college talent as well. They say this is how the Rams were able to stockpile so much talent. In 1951, the league had a 33 man roster, and 18 of the Rams 33 players would be selected to at least one Pro Bowl in their careers. Eddie Kotal is credited with finding Andy Robustelli, Tank Younger, Deacon Dan Towler, Larry Brink, Eddie Meador, Deacon Jones, Big Daddy Lipscomb, among many others. The Rams would scout small colleges and black colleges at a time when no other NFL team was willing to.

All that talent is a big reason why they could make some lopsided trades. 11 players for Les Richter in 1954 and nine players for Ollie Matson in 1959.

Their advance scouting is also why they landed Norm Van Brocklin. They knew he would graduate college a year early and took him in 1949. No other team knew he was available to draft that year.

The Rams were so renowned for their scouting that when the Dodgers moved to LA they asked the Rams owner, Dan Reeves, for advice on how they could set up scouting like that for their baseball team.

It is also emphasized the Rams were the ones to reintegrate black players into the NFL. Tank Younger was the first black college athlete to sign with an NFL team.

When the Rams top running backs are mentioned, Deacon Dan Towler doesn't seem to come up much. But it seems like he should be way up the list too. His career didn't last that long and his numbers might look modest. But it is clear he was a superstar in the Bull Elephant backfield.

About half this book is biographies on all the members of the 1951 Rams, including the coaching staff, and their lives both with the Rams and after they left football. I really liked that. Stood out to me that 12 players ended up coaching for either the Rams or other teams in the NFL. Four became head coaches. Others were assistant coaches for 1972-73 Dolphins, John Madden's Raiders and Vince Lombardi's Packers. Norb Hecker was a part of the most championship teams, eight, as a player, assistant coach and front office executive. He won with the 1951 Rams, three with Lombardi's Packers and then four more with Bill Walsh's 49ers.

All kinds of interesting facts like this. The Pro Football Researchers Association is really among the best when it comes to preserving NFL history, especially in the game's first few decades.
i really enjoyed reading this post. There was much you shared, I didn’t know.

Thanks for sharing. (y)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Thanks. Will definitely pick it up. Another couple of good Rams books are Hollywood's Team and The Cleveland Rams.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is also one of the major reasons that Dan Reeves & George Allen never got along, Reeves believed in the college draft & advance scouting, he did not like trading draft picks for veterans that obviously George Allen was renown for. That and George Allen's favorite beverage was milk and Reeves liked beverages a tad more stronger.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
The fact that a team from that era... (1950) still holds the record for Points per game in a season is pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Crazy they didn't win more championships actually.

Great read, thanks @tempests !!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Cool, wishlisted this one on Amazon.

Thanks. Will definitely pick it up. Another couple of good Rams books are Hollywood's Team and The Cleveland Rams.

I have Hollywood's Team in my Kindle, looking forward to reading that.

This is another one I have my eye on:

View: https://www.amazon.com/Team-That-Changed-NFL-Forever-ebook/dp/B097G47Q3C/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I2QC7NNA3VUSZU&colid=242V92MM2G5VJ&qid=&sr=

And finally, if you want to read a book of football history about teams other than the Rams, check out The Best Game Ever by Mark Bowden (the Black Hawk down author). Great book about the 1958 NFL Championship game. You'll know it's well written when you are reading the accounts of the game and a sense of suspense wells up in you, even though you already know the eventual outcome.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Cool, wishlisted this one on Amazon.

I have Hollywood's Team in my Kindle, looking forward to reading that.

This is another one I have my eye on:

View: https://www.amazon.com/Team-That-Changed-NFL-Forever-ebook/dp/B097G47Q3C/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=I2QC7NNA3VUSZU&colid=242V92MM2G5VJ&qid=&sr=

And finally, if you want to read a book of football history about teams other than the Rams, check out The Best Game Ever by Mark Bowden (the Black Hawk down author). Great book about the 1958 NFL Championship game. You'll know it's well written when you are reading the accounts of the game and a sense of suspense wells up in you, even though you already know the eventual outcome.

My favorite book on the NFL is America's Game. But it has a ton of Rams stuff too.

I saw that Team That Changed the NFL too. Looks interesting.