Bonsignore: Sticking with Case Keenum - and Jeff Fisher - isn't answer for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There is the problem , because they have the talent to play with anyone but they don't . Prime example is getting embarrassed by the 49ers after a whole off season to prepare . They haven't won a game since .

No kidding. The 49ers are an absolute dumpster fire, yet somehow Fisher couldn't get the Rams ready to beat them.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
With Goff on bench, Fisher can always use that card : give me a shot with the guy I picked when he's ready. If Goff stinks up the joint, then the world collapses on him. Not only are the Rams a losing team, "his guy" is terrible while other rookies prosper.

This is all about his next deal, and it stinks.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
With Goff on bench, Fisher can always use that card : give me a shot with the guy I picked when he's ready. If Goff stinks up the joint, then the world collapses on him. Not only are the Rams a losing team, "his guy" is terrible while other rookies prosper.

This is all about his next deal, and it stinks.

If I'm Stan though, I don't let him use that card. When he tries to play it, I ask him "why is he not ready." "Why was the guy who was drafted one pick later ready despite having seen action in only one preseason game, with results that were nothing spectacular." "Why are so many other rookie QB's having success or playing at least passable football and not hurting their teams, while the guy we gave up six picks to get is still deemed not ready."

There are a lot of comebacks to Fisher playing that card, and they pretty much negate it.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Fisher knows that if he plays Goff and Goff struggles like a rookie inevitably would, he loses his job at the end of the season. If he keeps Goff benched, he can keep saying the focus is on the future and maybe (if he could convince everyone that Goff isn't ready but is somehow still a franchise QB) keep his job.

But this is what confuses me about this logic. If he doesn't go with Goff and we continue losing and inevitably get another losing record, is he more likely to stay because he didn't start Goff? Like I've previously stated, I'd feel like he'd get more slack losing with a rookie QB who is learning than the savvy vet who is supposedly a game manager who can minimize turnovers. His fault or not (and some of it definitely has been; not to mention he's left many plays on the field) he's been a turnover machine all season essentially. And every time he's had an opportunity to tie or win it late, he hasn't delivered. Therefore, I'm very open minded to both Mannion and Goff.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Part of me doesn't want Goff to play for Fisher, because if he does we may never see what he is truly capable of. Better to see Goff in the new coach's system instead of him having to unlearn this BS one that Fisher runs.
The Rams have been playing bad, boring football ever since they ran Martz off. We need another coach like him.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Another lost season.

You do not move up and sacrifice so much to obtain a second string QB to a journeyman who would likely not start else where.

So, we have a clear case of incompetence, but where?

1. The draft pick decision?

2. The QB coaching?

3.Or, the modern day George Allen like decision to stick with a qb that cannot deliver when the game is on the line.

Let us pray it is 2 or 3.

Losing three straight NFL games is akin to a 30 game MLB losing streak or a 15 game losing streak in the NBA.

"Extention? Don't talk about an extention! Are you kidding me!
Extention? I'm hoping we can just win a game, another game!"
I'm afraid that it is all of the above!:rant:

TexasRam

Legend
If you just benched Greg Robinson alone, the Penalites wouldn't look all that bad.

There is absolutely no reason not to start Goff now.

The Stubborness of Fisher is dumbfounding.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Part of me doesn't want Goff to play for Fisher, because if he does we may never see what he is truly capable of. Better to see Goff in the new coach's system instead of him having to unlearn this BS one that Fisher runs.
The Rams have been playing bad, boring football ever since they ran Martz off. We need another coach like him.
I completely agree with this. As much as it pains me to see Keenum starting week in and week out, I can't help but hope that we get some competent coaches next season (if fisher gets canned) to coach Goff up. This system is horse shit and Fisher and Co. haven't shown the ability to coach up a QB.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
This is an amazing and exactly to the point article. If you have not yet read every word of it, you need to! It is spot on.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Mod note: There will be no SOSAR talk in here. I will remove it every time no matter the context or intention.

What? We can't talk about a pretty good Cleveland Brown's QB?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
But this is what confuses me about this logic. If he doesn't go with Goff and we continue losing and inevitably get another losing record, is he more likely to stay because he didn't start Goff? Like I've previously stated, I'd feel like he'd get more slack losing with a rookie QB who is learning than the savvy vet who is supposedly a game manager who can minimize turnovers. His fault or not (and some of it definitely has been; not to mention he's left many plays on the field) he's been a turnover machine all season essentially. And every time he's had an opportunity to tie or win it late, he hasn't delivered. Therefore, I'm very open minded to both Mannion and Goff.

I completely agree that it's time to give the young guys a shot. I think Fisher would initially be praised for the decision but he knows that if Goff doesn't fix the problem then he no longer has a piece of hope to offer restless fans/media. The moment he lays down his last card, the game of getting that extension is over.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, maybe it is time for some self deprecation vs. self preservation...Fisher could jump start this team by making three adjustments IMHO.

1. Start Goff...No time like the present and Keenum's arm strength is his undoing, should have two TD's as he under threw one to Quick and then totally overshot another.
  2. Swap out Saffold and Robinson....That will be good for Goff and GROB might rediscover how to run block more effectively.
  3. Stop rotating Cunningham & Gurley...Getting Gurley more involved in the passing game could lead to jump starting him in the running game. Cunningham should be used to spell Gurley only, it should not be automatic that Benny comes in on third downs, which in this offense is all of the time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Swap out Saffold and Robinson....That will be good for Goff and GROB might rediscover how to run block more effectively.

You're not the only one that has suggested this but I think people remember that Saffold wasn't good at LT either. Also every time we put him out at either Tackle spot he gets hurt. Pace Murphy or even Isaiah Battle are more likely choices if we put somebody else at LT. Also blaming GRob for our OLine woe's is like putting all the blame on Keenum, just not accurate.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So I take it this guy is more like Bernie m than Jim Thomas.

Yeah... that honeymoon didn't last very long, did it?

That was about as critical as anything Bernie ever wrote... and Bernie had to put up with it for years and years... Bonsignore is only seven games in! :eek:

Calling for his head this fast?

Unless the Rams have a pretty dramatic turn-around, this is gonna get UGGGGGGGly.

After watching yesterday, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that things won't change under Fisher.

Sloppy play, undisciplined, bad decisions, reluctance to make any changes... the game had all the hallmarks of a typical Jeff Fisher coached game.

Similar to other years, I got teased by the winning streak... I got teased by a stout game on offense (made last week feel a little better... thought we might be onto something).

But, as it turns out, I'm expecting pretty much what I've seen since Fisher arrived... and it generally results in a .500 or losing season. We should be better - much better - than that by now.

Looks like the LA media isn't going to give him any slack... like I said, very short honeymoon.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I don't think Fisher has a hidden agenda with Case and Goff. I think, as his record shows, Fisher isn't a very good coach. Let's accept that and move on. It is what it is!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't think Fisher has a hidden agenda with Case and Goff. I think, as his record shows, Fisher isn't a very good coach. Let's accept that and move on. It is what it is!

I agree with this. I don't buy into a conspiracy - I think he is just inept.

And not only that - Goffs struggles - to the extent that he has any struggles at this point - may be more fairly attributable to the staff than to Goff. Players need coaching - they need development - and they need to be put in the right position.

Fisher and co do that pretty well on defense - but only on defense.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Boy if it was just one part of the overall picture, say the way Fisher has handled Goff, it wouldn't seem so bad. But in my mind, our dam is springing leaks all over the place. Just way too many of the same problems week in and week out.
Does anyone on here honestly feel like this team is getting better? I'd love to know why if you do.
I, for one, am very!, VERY!! Dis-Pleased that we have Lost three in a Row that we should have won easily!:(

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmmm......

I'll start with this.... I like Vinny...not sure why...he's a big guy...thick...probably likes to eat a lil...who doesn't...
He's not into any hidden agenda...he's calling it like he sees it...which is as good as you can get...

I'm sure Fish was just mad at the presser...and just said what came to mind...I actually believe he's mad at my boy Brian Quick...Did they JUST go over that audible? The one Case floated high...that Quick didn't really LOOK like he understood??? If so, #yikes!

Now, if Goff really isn't ready...now this is what really interests me...If Jared Goff isn't ready to take a snap...by week 9, game 8 of the 2016 season, he's either the dumbest first round QB since Jamarcus Russell/ Ryan Leaf or he's scared of playing, and doesn't wanna learn. I refuse to believe Boras/Groh/Weinke are just idiots that have jobs because they know fisher...could be true, but I refuse to believe that..until one of them says, "man, I shoulda never been coaching at that level anyway"...I think...not sure, but I think, Jared Goff is scared to play..fish is scared to let him..because he'll get hurt...I don't think he's going out there trying to master the offense...I think his biggest concern is the 110 to 405 fwy exchange...or do I stay on the 5 fwy??? :ROFLMAO:

So who should we be looking at in the 2nd round six months from now?
oops...this is from another thread...but I'll answer it here....BPA baby! you see what kinda mess drafting for NEED has us in now? Don'tcha?
I don't agree with that.
Sounds more like something a fan blog would write, but he's entitled to his opinion.
Why X? Seems a lil selfish to be a guy that, I'm right, even when you're wrong...and hurting 60+ other men....I mean, guys are gonna get fired behind all this...Some may never work again in pro football. That's selfish...admit when you're wrong...turn the season....
Although, I'd have a serious talk with my D-Line coach about jumping offsides...

What do you think is Fishers reasoning ? To come out and blame the receivers for Keenum short comings is ridiculous.
Fisher is just being stubborn or arrogant at this point not to even consider playing the kid . Either way , I think you and I both know the Rams will never get over the hump with Fisher and his ways . Just my opinion but when the only thing you lead the league in is penalties it's time to look in the mirror.
and to actively talk about fixing the problem...that's what gets me...every year, talk about the penalties...then continue to make them...it's funny now because, Aaron Donald is making a bunch of them...All the D-Line do...Bunch of the Oline do too...What are you gonna say to AD?
I was watching the first holding called on Greg Robinson...ticky tack from my opinion...not sure if he was warned...or what...but bunch of calls against that man are bogus...

I was more concerned watching Havenstein get walked back...really having trouble this year...I think he came back too early...Wichman too..

But again...53 passes, the line didn't play bad..Hell, Gurley averaged over 4 yards a pop too...

Keenum clearly has shown he's a scrappy and maybe even an upper tier backup quarterback capable of winning some games but not good enough to rely on for a full season as the starter.
upper tier backup....sounds like a pretty ass fat girl...or a really ugly person with a nice body...as backhanded a compliment as I've ever seen....LOLOLOL

If you can show me ANY QB...starter or backup...that throws a ball like Keenum does...that one that takes off like a kite...fluttering...I'll give you that Florida...

I agree with your post entirely...except for this upper tier nonsense...With Keenum in the game, SF is in a better position at QB:shocked:...Cleveland is too:shocking:...Chicago is too:headexplosion:...think about that...and yet we still have won 3 games...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Also blaming GRob for our OLine woe's is like putting all the blame on Keenum, just not accurate.

I disagree about Robinson, he's had some crucial penalties and IMO, the refs are looking his way, putting him inside might draw the attention away and Saffold seems to have been much better since the surgery and IMO would be better in pass protection.

Some times you need to make adjustments to jump start the team, the Rams have now lost 3 straight games, you can't just keep plodding away, Fisher has done this over the years, i.e., benching Hill for Davis and then Davis for Hill, firing Cignetti and becoming more involved in defensive play calling when he felt Tim Walton was over his head.

Now, quite frankly, I believe the clock has turned on this regime, however, IMO, making these type of changes might just ignite this team in order turn the tide from losing close games to actually winning them.