Bonsignore: Sticking with Case Keenum - and Jeff Fisher - isn't answer for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher gonna ride this Keenum train to the bitter end.
Reminds me of "Tin Cup"
Going to probe he can make that shot no matter what

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Seems like a turning point to me. Bernie wrote pieces like this before but coming from vinnie who's essentially tapped into the so cal area, it means a big deal.

Fans are tired and pissed off. Good on him for calling fisher out on it and taking the rams to task.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
If that's his plan (to use Goff to keep his job), then Kroenke is the dumbest billionaire on the planet if he can't see right through that.
You don't have to be smart to be rich.Just have to be willing to screw people
over or marry into it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

So I take it this guy is more like Bernie m than Jim Thomas.

Actually he isnt, normally.
Vinny does a good job reporting the Rams. Its hard not to be critical of a coach, that seems to be spinning his wheels.
Coaching is responsible for at least 2 of our losses so far this season.
Also. Let's face it. Goff would be starting on any other team at the moment if taken 1 overall. Just not out team.

I've supported Keenum heavily, but his time us up. Goff should be ready to start

Mick

Pro Bowler
Too much "shoot the messenger" and all....I think the guy is pretty spot on. Sub .500, INTs piling up, and other things like running into sacks, ugly throws....I think it's just time. The fact Fish immediately says no-way is just hard to fathom...until I remember it's from him. :thinking:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
For me, It's not about bashing Fisher but simply his reasons for not making Goff the starter after 7 complete games of learning and 6 of them as CK's backup.

Keenum clearly has shown he's a scrappy and maybe even an upper tier backup quarterback capable of winning some games but not good enough to rely on for a full season as the starter.

So you misjudged CK coach Fisher big damn deal, You're human coach and the game of football can be a very unpredictable game. You of all people know that when it comes to evaluating talent with some of your most counted on players they are susceptible to not meeting your expectations.

CK's leadership skills might be night and day superior to young Jared but damn it coach why is Goff only a fluke injury away from starting, yet not worthy of taking some lumps in Los Angeles against a struggling Carolina team with a shaky secondary?

I could even accept Fisher giving Mannion the next start if he absolutely for what ever hidden convictions he has, thinks Goff would be a deer in the headlights and crumble like a stale cookie against Carolina.

My question to Fisher is, If GOFF is ALREADY your 2nd string quarterback and just a fluke injury away from being on the field, what else are you hiding about him not being ready?

Something is Fishy in all of this and Fisher's defense of CK is wearing thin. The whole point of Goff even being the 2nd string quarterback is starting to give me a false sense of security that Fisher is gambling and hoping with every wince of fate that Keenum will not get hurt because he secretly knows Goff is so horribly not ready that it would make our heads spin.

If Jared came out looking like Wentz did today in the first half vs the Vikings you let him sink or swim through the entire game and let the chips fall where they may. JG is a tough kid and one or 2 bad games will not ruin his career like the whole rookie quarterback battered confidence overprotective cliche crap I keep hearing.

There has to more to this story than Fisher just being loyal to his first born Keenum and protecting his golden child Goff?
20140724-114441-42281873.jpg
28a8imrs.php_-376x250.jpg

Last edited:

JerseyRam1

Rookie
If I am Fisher, I would have started Goff and simply say when he plays bad, "Thats what I signed up for when we made the trade.It was a franchise decision to get better at the most important position in sports. Young QB's need time to develop. My staff and I will work hard every week to help him progress". So, when he finished at 7-9, he could tout the "Youngest roster" and a potential star at QB. Now he just looks foolish without any answers.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Another lost season.

You do not move up and sacrifice so much to obtain a second string QB to a journeyman who would likely not start else where.

So, we have a clear case of incompetence, but where?

1. The draft pick decision?

2. The QB coaching?

3.Or, the modern day George Allen like decision to stick with a qb that cannot deliver when the game is on the line.

Let us pray it is 2 or 3.

Losing three straight NFL games is akin to a 30 game MLB losing streak or a 15 game losing streak in the NBA.

"Extention? Don't talk about an extention! Are you kidding me!
Extention? I'm hoping we can just win a game, another game!"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher is 13-12-1 in the NFCW since he arrived here in 2012
He's 17-27 when NOT playing vs the division.
Overall record is 30-39-1

The Rams will be near the top of the list in league leading penalties and the offense will be bad.
The defense and special teams will be strong.

I'd say his identity and the identity of his team is firmly established here. There are no surprises on game day as far as i'm concerned anymore. I'd be willing to bet that our opponents feel the same way.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Does this mean we have to extend Fisher before we can see Goff on the field?

I think that is what Fisher is hoping for. If he can buy time using the development of Goff as an excuse, the team will be forced into a decision before all the cards are on the table.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
But that doesn't make sense. If Fisher keeps losing it doesn't matter who the QB is.

It makes sense. If he is losing with Keenum, at least it would appear that there is a plan in place to fix it and that Goff needs more time. However, if he plays Goff and we are still losing, it would appear that we have exhausted all our options with no first round pick next year to address the issue. It's a mind game to buy time using Goff as the light at the end of the tunnel.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Mod note: There will be no SOSAR talk in here. I will remove it every time no matter the context or intention.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It makes sense. If he is losing with Keenum, at least it would appear that there is a plan in place to fix it and that Goff needs more time. However, if he plays Goff and we are still losing, it would appear that we have exhausted all our options with no first round pick next year to address the issue. It's a mind game to buy time using Goff as the light at the end of the tunnel.
Yeah, but doesn't he get tired of losing at some point? I mean, he has to know his coaching career is coming to an end soon. What's he buying time for? He's got enough money. He's had a long career. If you don't play to win, why are you playing?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yeah, but doesn't he get tired of losing at some point? I mean, he has to know his coaching career is coming to an end soon. What's he buying time for? He's got enough money. He's had a long career. If you don't play to win, why are you playing?

As a cruel revenge for beating him in the Super Bowl? Not sure on that one. Maybe he just likes the status of being a head coach.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not think we are getting better. It is utterly frustrating to watch my team fail on a weekly basis, and believe me bros, I have some freaking experience in that area. The amount of penalties we rack up week after week is absolutely dumbfounding. It costs us play after play, and turns short third down conversions into third and longs. We do not play on all cylinders......ever. When our QB isn't turning the ball over, our wide receivers are. We do look like we are ready to play, and then we don't. Is Tavon misused? Yes. Are we being fair to Gurley in the game planning? No, with the exception of screen passes and the SOLE HB toss to the outside that I saw today. Our offensive line is constantly asked to block for a run when there are eight or more in the box on a consistent basis, and they answer with holds and false starts.

That being said, this article blows. Reading it is a challenge for a couple of reasons. One is just a pet peeve of mine, and the other is at it's core. Fisher's selfishness, or the implying that it exists, is crap. The man is trying to win games. He, and his staff, make the wrong decisions in games. The going for it when they shouldn't or not going for it when they should. I am not sure they can mentor a young QB. Especially one that has the experience that Goff has or doesn't have. The offense is a mess, and it's not because Fisher wants to keep his job. The man is a competitor, and, in my opinion, he is making a managerial mistake, or there is another underlying issue. Either he will not hire his equal on the offensive side of the ball, or nobody wants the job.

Also, the author of this article starts new paragraphs after only phrases, and even has sentences with no freaking verbs. Can you have sentences with no freaking verbs?

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mod note: There will be no SOSAR talk in here. I will remove it every time no matter the context or intention.
It may sound stupid , but im just curious what SOSAR talk is .