Bonsignore: Rob Havenstein knew something was up when he got the call

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rob Havenstein knew something was up when he got the call, but the news could have been worse

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE

Rob Havenstein knew something was up when he got called into the Rams hierarchy offices shortly after the conclusion of last season and the hiring of new head coach Sean McVay.

After concluding his second year as the Rams starting right tackle, the young lineman from Wisconsin had starter clout and a positive film foundation going for him. But with a new coach and a new vision and only a pair of seasons playing on one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, Havenstein was taking nothing for granted upon getting the call to come meet with the new staff.

And he braced for whatever the news might be.

Turns out McVay and his staff wanted to move Havenstein from right tackle to right guard. It was a dramatic change – from a position standpoint – but it also resulted in a sigh of relief from Havenstein.

After all, sliding over a few feet to his left is a whole lot different than packing his belongings and moving to Green Bay or Jacksonville or the waiver wire,

“They wanted to me to move to guard rather than going somewhere else,” a relieved Havenstein remembered. “I was like, anywhere I can play anywhere I can help I’m for it. Me not having played guard before doesn’t matter. I’m taking the same approach.”

And as he gets acclimated to his new position, he understands it’s in the same world he’s used to.

“I’m still playing offensive line. I’m not playing the X Receiver position or anything,” he pointed out, laughing. “It’s just a little bit different, but as they approached me I was very receptive. If that’s how they felt I could help the team, I’m 100 percent in.”

Nevertheless, there are subtle differences in the two positions. And misconceptions can result to the uneducated eye.Like, say, what might look as the guard position being more attack oriented and the tackle spot more reactionary.

Aggression, Havenstein says, is constant in both positions even if it might not look like it on film.

It’s all in the assignment. And it’s a fine line.

‘“Whether we want to go out and get on guys or we got slide help or something like that, or a double team or we’re kinda on our own, it’s just going to be where we can control our aggression,” he said. “Where we can be aggressive and know we have help and go after guys, or we can still be aggressive but we can’t over do it where we get beat right away and we’re kind of (screwed). So, tackle (to) guard, things are just going to happen faster. It might look more aggressive because, let’s say me and (Jamon Brown) are going against someone, I’m going to get on him way faster than JB is on (someone like) Robert Quinn running up field as fast as he can, which is pretty darn fast. So it’s gonna happen for me a lot faster then it might look – like I’m being more aggressive – but the actual (way we’re being taught) it’s about when we can control it and when we have help.”

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again feeling good about Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer as this conversation was early on in the process so it was something he felt good about right after taking over as the OL coach for the Los Angeles Rams. Havenstein is very smart player so that should help on the inside, now the question looms, who will be manning RT come September Morn?

I'm similar to D'Marco Farr I would love to see Greg Robinson embrace that position just on size & athleticism alone, however, the time is now, but if he can't beat out Jamon Brown then so be it. Still have some trepidation with Havenstein & Brown on the right side because you have a Tackle playing Guard and a Guard playing tackle, but Brown played Tackle at Louisville and Havenstein moving inside seems to have been a smooth transition as in Aaron Kromer we trust.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Notice that Havenstien describes and envisions himself next to Jamon Brown and not "The Bust".

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Notice that Havenstien describes and envisions himself next to Jamon Brown and not "The Bust".

Good point, well, let's see if it even becomes a battle?

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I'm similar to D'Marco Farr I would love to see Greg Robinson embrace that position just on size & athleticism alone, however, the time is now, but if he can't beat out Jamon Brown then so be it. Still have some trepidation with Havenstein & Brown on the right side because you have a Tackle playing Guard and a Guard playing tackle, but Brown played Tackle at Louisville and Havenstein moving inside seems to have been a smooth transition as in Aaron Kromer we trust.

This is one of the luxuries of a new coaching staff -- not being committed to playing a particular player (Robinson, in this case) because you drafted him high, and relegating him to the depth chart would make you look bad. The Rams have already decided NOT to pick up G-Rob's 5th year option, which basically means this year is his open audition for sticking on this roster beyond 2017.

The best 5 guys will be out there on the OL -- if G-Rob is one of them, that's great.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Actually, the quote sounds like it's from an interview I saw where he was asked about Jamon Brown and himself switching places on the Oline.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Actually, the quote sounds like it's from an interview I saw where he was asked about Jamon Brown and himself switching places on the Oline.
That actually sounds about right. I don't see Havenstein as a person that would intentionally dog out a fellow player. I was thinking more along the lines of Freudian slip.
Still I don't see Robinson starting. I think he 'd be lucky to be the first guy off the bench and not cut for a roster spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
......(Robinson, in this case) because you drafted him high, and relegating him to the depth chart would make you look bad. The Rams have already decided NOT to pick up G-Rob's 5th year option, which basically means this year is his open audition for sticking on this roster beyond 2017.
. That three year audition has not gone well....much of the elements that have received an F grade have very little to do with left or right, so the curtain on this big stage audition is just about to come down. There's nothing more I want to see here. But I understand Kromer wanting to see him play a different part but he just can not act at this level.

Yes I caught that too. I favor Jamon or Andrew Donnal myself starting at RT. I like the thought of both of them being here for the next two seasons along with big Rob at RG.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Notice that Havenstien describes and envisions himself next to Jamon Brown and not "The Bust"..................Still I don't see Robinson starting. I think he 'd be lucky to be the first guy off the bench and not cut for a roster spot.
Hmmmm

There is a post by our own @Florida_Ram showing videos of Goff's worst and best....please look at them...especially the worst, and tell me if you can point out which lineman was doing the best? Tell me you didn't see Hav and Brown beaten like drums? I can't understand how Greg seems to stand out to so many? I will continue to say, he played left tackle....if any of the guys you state are better, put them over there and SEE what they look like?...then add in Coach Boo & Coach Boras & whomever else was involved with the offensive line scheme. See where I'm going???

There is simply NO way Greg Robinson is a worse player than Havenstein....and Brown...other than what he was taught was so confusing...hell, he actually has gotten WORSE the last 3 years....He started out pretty decent after LeCharles Bentley's lineman camp, then again, started to get progressively worse. All the linemen did.

Yes I caught that too. I favor Jamon or Andrew Donnal myself starting at RT. I like the thought of both of them being here for the next two seasons along with big Rob at RG.
I always go to a lineman thread...looking for Boni's takes. I can't lie, damn I like Havenstein's attitude....Scared the shit outta him I bet....that call...Let's see if he can stay healthy, and if that was his issue last year.
Like you, I really liked Donnal....I liked the way he came back after 2015...he wants to play. I could tell watching his Iowa tape, the guy loves the game. I thought Scherff was ok...but I thought Donnall could start in the pros with a lil more mass...especially in his lower frame. Look out for this guy.
I liked Brown in 2015....then the season started....he looked kinda like Greg. That preseason switching around "did him no favors"....those are your words and still ring true. In 2016, he was almost terrible...missing assignments...getting blown back, run over...and he's always breaking something....I still think he has talent but IDK....Line-play is for monsters...Look at Mack, Harrah, Pace, Jackie....dudes look like they could play today. Big ole dudes that break....IDK...
I continue to think G-Rob can be salvaged...but I see you know your shit when it comes to these mammoth men....I hope you're wrong about Greg Robinson...cause frankly, Goff needs him....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Again feeling good about Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer as this conversation was early on in the process so it was something he felt good about right after taking over as the OL coach for the Los Angeles Rams. Havenstein is very smart player so that should help on the inside, now the question looms, who will be manning RT come September Morn?

I'm gonna take a guess that you're a Neil Diamond fan, den. September Morn? Me too, btw.

I share your slight puzzlement about the Hav and Brown position switches. But, also like you, I trust in Kromer. He's done previous successful switches before, huh? So, whatever he chooses to do is fine by me.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
The different reactions to the proposed move to guard is pretty telling who is going to start & have a future on the team:

Grob- "It's not really something that I'm just going to accept, because I'm so used to playing tackle. It would be hard to adjust. But if I have to adjust, that will be something that I will do."

Hav- "They wanted to me to move to guard ... I was like, anywhere I can play anywhere I can help I’m for it. Me not having played guard before doesn’t matter. I’m taking the same approach ... It’s just a little bit different, but as they approached me I was very receptive. If that’s how they felt I could help the team, I’m 100 percent in."

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I'm gonna take a guess that you're a Neil Diamond fan, den. September Morn? Me too, btw.

I share your slight puzzlement about the Hav and Brown position switches. But, also like you, I trust in Kromer. He's done previous successful switches before, huh? So, whatever he chooses to do is fine by me.

I recall Isaiah Battle pancaking defensive linemen in practice but he got hurt and we lost him. I really wish we would have gotten something out of him. I don't understand the Brown/Hav switch either. If Rob cannot make it at RT, I'g go Brown RG and Hav RT and see if you can get some consistency. Maybe they think Hav is more cerebral than the other two and better suited for guard.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have a good idea den, why they switched Hav to G. He's slow, stiff at the waist and not very good with speed rushers. he's a liability in space. They need a RT than can give Goff more time. I agree that Hav will be more effective at RG.

I like the way McVay and Kromer are handling GRob. You wanna start? Then beat out Brown. You wanna pout? Sit on the bench and try your luck next year on another team.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm Havenstein made the all-rookie team because he looked good didn't allow a

THEN had some injuries.

If you leave Havenstein at right tackle you get a eight, nine ten years starter in my opinion.

Jamon Brown WHEN HEALTHY and not jerked all over the place in Camp, Preseason in the regular season at 1 position we might know something for sure because he hasn't looked bad when healthy.

Robinson has proved nothing in his looked very bad -

EVEN WHEN HEALTHY.

He has proved nothing other than good health.

Pretty much the first player McVay replaced. For a reason.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I continue to think G-Rob can be salvaged...but I see you know your crap when it comes to these mammoth men....I hope you're wrong about Greg Robinson...cause frankly, Goff needs him....

Could it be that GRob or his agent are accidentally/mistakingly sabotaging his career ? Are they insisting Robinson remain at OT for future financial reasons over actual ability & necessity ? Where Havenstein comes into McVay's office willing to play wherever coach needs him, is GRob unwilling to make the ultimate sacrifice for the team ? Months ago, when I first read that it would be Hav at RG & Robinson at RT, I started to question GRob's value as a team first player. Maybe i'm just completely off-base with how our new coaching staff sees Robinson's future position, but if he is getting beat out by Brown at RT, how long before he's a willing participant at OG or asking to be released ? Is Havenstein getting any snaps at RT, or are they all at RG ? Is Pace Murphy and/or Darrell Williams getting any RT snaps or are they all at LT ? Is Donnal getting RT snaps or OG/C ? Is Brown exclusively getting RT snaps, or is he also in at OG/C ?

I realize it's foolish to get upset over players missing voluntary OTA's, but I still find myself far more bothered by GRob taking days off than Donald or TruJo. I have to ask how seriously he's taking these opportunities ?
jmo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was so totally wrong about GRob...I really bought into his superior physical abilities and comparison to HOFers at the LT position. I really don't think it's because his hand wasn't always in the dirt at Auburn, it is because he is just not smart. I take no joy in saying that, but I am ready move on from him if he persists in considering himself a starting LT, when he is barely an NFL back-up lineman at this point.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Could it be that GRob or his agent are accidentally/mistakingly sabotaging his career ? Are they insisting Robinson remain at OT for future financial reasons over actual ability & necessity ? Where Havenstein comes into McVay's office willing to play wherever coach needs him, is GRob unwilling to make the ultimate sacrifice for the team ? Months ago, when I first read that it would be Hav at RG & Robinson at RT, I started to question GRob's value as a team first player. Maybe i'm just completely off-base with how our new coaching staff sees Robinson's future position, but if he is getting beat out by Brown at RT, how long before he's a willing participant at OG or asking to be released ? Is Havenstein getting any snaps at RT, or are they all at RG ? Is Pace Murphy and/or Darrell Williams getting any RT snaps or are they all at LT ? Is Donnal getting RT snaps or OG/C ? Is Brown exclusively getting RT snaps, or is he also in at OG/C ?

I realize it's foolish to get upset over players missing voluntary OTA's, but I still find myself far more bothered by GRob taking days off than Donald or TruJo. I have to ask how seriously he's taking these opportunities ?
jmo.
I'm sure it's Greg...at the advice of others....that wants to stay at Tackle...he's comfortable plus it's beneficial $$$$$$$. I would also guess that his camp blames coach fish and coach boudreau for effing up his career...or rather getting it off to a rocky start. Remember, Greg is still very young. He should be entering his prime...but he still is learning NEW techniques....
I am positive that Greg has the ability to play and LEARN Left and Right tackle responsibilities. I keep hearing the smart card played...I just listened to Brett Farve say he didn't even know what a nickle defense was...I just heard Willie Colon say he didn't really know defenses either when he entered the league. Greg had a 22 on the wonderlic.... The worst thing a young inexperienced player can have, is a clueless positional coach. Not to say Boudreau is clueless, but perhaps due to his health, he left someone not as experienced in charge of handling the instructions of the line. They looked lost...drive after drive....not just Greg...it's no surprise Saffold, Donnall, and experienced/well trained players were the main ones to have decent success in their 2nd years...they HAD a solid foundation to fall back on.
You can't get beat out of a position in OTA's without pads...not on the line....I'm sure Brown is preparing for the injuries that WILL occur...and he's getting ready to be the swiss army knife of the O-Line....I wonder how is Wichman doing with the cross training at center???? Greg will line up at RT...game one...McVay probably moved Brown in first to prepare for this week when Greg missed...and guess what, Jamon looked good...
Players lead in several ways...Did you hear how Landry at Miami is handling his contract situation??? Wouldn't you like that to be Aaron Donald? Just show up...new scheme...new coaches...new players...I want AD their more that Tru.or Robinson....Cause Donald is a baller...
I am sure G-Rob KNOWS, if he doesn't work out in LA, some team will pick him up and give him a chance...and after being improperly coached for 3 years...perhaps that's all he wants...properly coached and at his most comfortable position, Left tackle.