Bonsignore: Rams need to get the Watkins nonsense squashed ASAP

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
Doesn't take the eyes of a former elite WR to see what's wrong here. Sammy shouldn't run lazy routes and needs to get his head around to look for the pass.

Basically, he needs to not take plays off.
As someone who lives in Bills territory, I couldn’t agree more. I rarely miss a Bills game and I have seen this many times. I think Sammy is a great WR when his head is in the game. Effort and injuries were always the biggest complaints from Bills fans. Woods is a pros pro, but tended to be inconsistent at the worst times. I’m loving what Woods brings to the Rams and hoping Watkins gets some more action.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I think Sammy is a great WR when his head is in the game. Effort and injuries were always the biggest complaints from Bills fans

Sounds like a poor man's Randy Moss sans the injuries.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Watkins needs to play with maximum effort at all times. Dogging it on routes won't help him get paid, nor will "cryptic" tweets.

He needs to be patient. This teams has several weapons and defenders keying on him means there is no need to force feed him, and risk int's throwing into triple coverage. If he is going to be blanketed by a Dick then he needs to do what we all know he is capable of and get open anyway

Lastly he needs to be patient because Goff is a rookie in a new system, and Sammy was late to the game. Being butt hurt over things not going your way is not helping Watkins or the team. It is a negative force.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay already addressed (squashed) this.

Still doesn't keep him from quitting on routes. He did it in DAllas as well.
Jared Goff was flushed out of the pocket & needed a WR to throw to. All Sammie had to do was continue his route across the field. He would have got the ball.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s the Twitter shit that annoys me ... how about responding it’s not about me it’s about the team and this goes all goes away

I understand that Sammy is our most physically gifted WR and our number 1 but you should never quit on a play and we do need to get him the ball .. but this offense this “new” team these new pieces are essentially 5 games old (even less for Sammy as he misses preseason ) i firmly believe it will all work out

Theres only one ball and plenty of weapons we can’t complain about gurley not getting enough touches then say the same about Watkins ...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It’s the Twitter crap that annoys me ... how about responding it’s not about me it’s about the team and this goes all goes away

I understand that Sammy is our most physically gifted WR and our number 1 but you should never quit on a play and we do need to get him the ball .. but this offense this “new” team these new pieces are essentially 5 games old (even less for Sammy as he misses preseason ) i firmly believe it will all work out

Theres only one ball and plenty of weapons we can’t complain about gurley not getting enough touches then say the same about Watkins ...

Twitter talk annoys me too, I wish players didn't do do it, I'm sure there are journos etc out there that intentionally goad certain players, just to get a reaction and they love taking flippant comments out of context...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Still doesn't keep him from quitting on routes. He did it in DAllas as well.
Jared Goff was flushed out of the pocket & needed a WR to throw to. All Sammie had to do was continue his route across the field. He would have got the ball.
Well that remains to be seen, doesn't it? You're talking about the past. McVay spoke to him in the present. If he does it again, then clearly there's a problem.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
Well that remains to be seen, doesn't it? You're talking about the past. McVay spoke to him in the present. If he does it again, then clearly there's a problem.
I love how McVay seems to make it very clear, what he expects from his players. Gets his point across without being a real hard ass. Willing to move a guy if he doesn’t fit or is underperforming. Curious to see how this plays out.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference between those elite WRs and Watkins is a coach and QB that feed them the ball. Look at the year Antonio Brown is having Julio Jones and even Beckham AJ green all those WRs are elite but look at what’s going on with their QB play.
They feed them the ball because they complete their routes and get open. Sure, sometimes they get a forced pass to them.. but, generally, they get open. Watkins hasn't.

That’s watkins entire career.
If we're comparing his career to those other "elite" WRs, then he's nowhere near "elite".

So yes in my esteem opinion Watkins is a elite talent even if his numbers hasn’t shown it
I guess we'll just have to disagree... you think he's "elite" and I can't get much of a definition of "elite" (other than some vaguely worded sentences).

Let's see how he responds to his head coach who, basically, told him to play every snap from start to finish.
(y)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think you misunderstood me... wasn't comparing him the what's on the Rams roster... was comparing him to (as best I can tell because, again, it's not defined anywhere) so-called-Elite WRs.

He doesn't line up... Rams offense (save last week) was extremely productive. Yet, he only had one good game.

I guess we'll just have to disagree... you think he's "elite" and I can't get much of a definition of "elite" (other than some vaguely worded sentences).

You seem to doubt Sammy's skills...elite...#1...me, I like best wr on team...or BWROT....LOL

some arbitrary list I found
https://www.thetoptens.com/wide-receivers-nfl-for-2015-2016-season/
https://www.thetoptens.com/nfl-wide-receivers-2016-2017-season/

he's 19th...not too bad...

Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, and Mike Evans are the top to me....Jordy Nelson...Demarius Thomas...Dez Bryant...Julian Edleman, Golden Taint..Hopkins...Baldwin....Landry...Jefferies...Quick (just checking to see if you're paying attention:neener:).....TY Hilton and a bunch are in that next tier....and I'd include sammy with them. There are a bunch of good wrs that just need the opportunity....targets...Hell, the best wr is probably not even playing, Josh Gordon...

I think a bunch of wrs are elite...but don't have the targets...Funches/Benjamin from Carolina...Crabtree/Cooper of the Raiders....Larry Fitz-Arizona....

Not elite....I'll go with that....but if he got targets...I'm sure you'd see his value. When healthy his numbers match up pretty well.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not elite....I'll go with that....but if he got targets...I'm sure you'd see his value. When healthy his numbers match up pretty well.

Well, it will work itself out I'm sure.

He'll either get the targets... and we'll see how that goes.

Or he won't... and we'll see how that goes.

Ether way, he's been put on notice by coach that he needs to step up his concentration.

Ram65

Legend
They feed them the ball because they complete their routes and get open. Sure, sometimes they get a forced pass to them.. but, generally, they get open. Watkins hasn't.

You keep saying this without proof he isn't getting open. I guess if you say it enough times it is then a fact.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You keep saying this without proof he isn't getting open. I guess if you say it enough times it is then a fact.
Without pouring over hours of content, I am assuming (yes, I know) that he'd get more balls thrown to him if he were open more.

Not very scientific... sorry.

Ram65

Legend
Without pouring over hours of content, I am assuming (yes, I know) that he'd get more balls thrown to him if he were open more.

Not very scientific... sorry.
Maybe you shouldn't state it as fact or reference it until it's proven one way or the other. He is also the type of WR that can make plays when he isn't open.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-sammy-watkins-stats-2017-football-outsiders/
Sammy Watkins has been the NFL's most efficient WR in 2017
usatsi_10228274.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | September 27, 2017 11:30 am ET

When the Los Angeles Rams traded for Sammy Watkins this offseason, they were expecting to land a true No. 1 receiver who can take the top off of a defense and elevate the play of Jared Goff. Through two weeks, he was reliable, but the big plays weren’t there. He had just seven catches for 88 yards, which aren’t exactly eye-popping numbers.

However, in Week 3, he went off. Against the 49ers, Watkins caught six passes for 106 yards and two touchdowns, looking more like the player the Rams thought they were getting in the blockbuster trade.

route-chart_wat270480_2017-reg-3_1506055372943.jpeg

His impressive start goes beyond the box score, too. He’s been the NFL’s most efficient wide receiver this season. Watkins has caught 13 of the 14 passes thrown his way, good for a 93 percent catch rate – best in the NFL among receivers with at least 10 catches.

According to Football Outsiders, Watkins’ DVOA – or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average – is 81.3 percent, which ranks No. 1 in the NFL. His DYAR (Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) is second only to Stefon Diggs. In DVOA, Diggs ranks fifth, which makes Watkins the NFL’s most efficient wideout.

gettyimages-851127984.jpg

(Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

It’s clear Watkins has had a huge impact on the Rams thus far, proving to be the team’s most reliable receiver. He’s as sure-handed as they come in 2017, with his lone incompletion coming on a play in which he and Goff weren’t on the same page.

If he can continue to grow in the Rams’ offense, he and Goff could become one of the best duos in the NFL. It’s still very early, of course, but Thursday night’s performance was a sign of things to come.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FegNVbIGwIc

Sammy show starts at 1:15

The catch and run chart shows the little 5 yard out he got 8 yards on for first down on 3rd and 5. (I wrote it was 6-8 yards with 5 YAC a couple of time. sorry) I would think that would be open every game. Why not get it to him early? The last TD he gets 5 yards beyond the LOS spots up then plows for 7 yards and the TD. He has some great skills like the over the shoulder catch. He can eat up yards like on the slant.

Let's see if McVay can get Sammy going early this week. Sometimes coaches have to adjust a little to a player. If he gets Sammy involved early he could explode again.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If we're comparing his career to those other "elite" WRs, then he's nowhere near "elite".

Let's see how he responds to his head coach who, basically, told him to play every snap from start to finish.
(y)
Name me 1 wr that wouldn’t slack every now then if he hasn’t been the primary target for 2 games in a row. They ran that same play twice and the first time he was a decoy on that pick route the second time he was double covered lol he was wrong for not running that route all the way through but you acting like he does it all the time when in fact this is the ONLY mention of him not finishing routes this guy is a playmaker and he wants the ball. So the QB and the Coach are the ones who determines who gets the ball saying Watkins hasn’t got open isn’t correct

I have described what elite is. Someone who can run every route at a above average level someone who can beat defenders on 50/50 balls someone who is physical and deadly with the ball in their hands. Someone that demands the attention of every lock down CB and Safety in the league.

You can pretend that those other elite WRs number has nothing to do with their offensive gameplan and Qb if you want. But look at what’s happens to Demaryious Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders since Manning has left.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I keep forgetting about Diggs and Thielman in Minnesota....those 2 are pretty special as well...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But I'll take a receiver with Watkins type talent as long as he uses it

Yup, you can see that he is fast enough to worry defenses, and that's great using him as a decoy sometimes. He also works hard after the catch.

He has to be ready all the time though.

Effort and injuries were always the biggest complaints from Bills fans.

McVay spoke to him in the present. If he does it again, then clearly there's a problem.

Effort won't be an issue if he has team leaders, the HC and QB pushing him. Maybe he needs a little extra push and that'll solve it........

I'm not expecting to see this again thats for sure. I thank getting caught loafing twice and getting called out about it got his attention.