Bonsignore: Rams are all right with right side of the offensive line stabilized

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bonsignore: Rams are all right with right side of the offensive line stabilized

ax019_09eb_9.jpg

Rams tackle Andrew Whitworth (77) greets running back Todd Gurley during a June workout at the team’s practice facility at California Lutheran University. (SCNG staff photo)

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE | vbonsignore@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: November 9, 2017 at 3:30 pm | UPDATED: November 9, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Inside the Rams locker room at their practice facility in Thousand Oaks, players are sectioned off by position group. Defensive linemen are an especially loud group. Wide receivers can bring the noise as well.

By sheer numbers, the quietest section belongs the quarterbacks.

But the offensive lineman are easily the most low-key group. Maybe it’s just the thankless, almost tedious and methodical nature of their job. And the anonymity that comes with it.

Last year, the reserved atmosphere for the offensive line seemed appropriate considering the major liability the group became during a disastrous 4-12 season. Yet nobody has more of a right to demand a share of the 2017 spotlight than Andrew Whitworth, Rodger Saffold, John Sullivan, Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein.

The Rams are averaging a league-high 32.9 points per game – up from 14 last year. Running back Todd Gurley has regained his status as an elite running back with 986 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. And second-year quarterback Jared Goff has silenced his critics by emerging as one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL while throwing for 2,030 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Without Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, Brown and Havenstein, none of that happens.

“We’re in a good spot right now but the work continues. And we feel we can play better,” is about as far as Sullivan will go.

And good luck getting any self congratulation for a job well done thus far.

"I will at the end of the season, depending on what happens,” Havenstein said. “But even at that, it’s not going to be a ‘me’ thing or an ‘offensive line’ thing. It’s going to be a ‘team’ thing and an ‘offensive’ thing and an offensive thing within the scheme of a team-wide thing.”

“So far this year it’s been good. But obviously there’s a lot of football left to be played. No one knows what’s going to happen.”

As bad as the Rams offensive line was last year, with left tackle Greg Robinson solidifying his bust status and Saffold having to move to fill gaping position holes and injury and ineffectiveness sabotaging center and right guard, they went into training camp confident that the left side of their line would be dramatically better with Whitworth, a perennial Pro Bowler, replacing Robinson and Saffold being permanently slotted at left guard.

That, coupled with Sullivan locking down center, gave the Rams peace of mind on the left side.

Things were much less certain on the right side – or, as Sullivan and others refer to it, the “young side.”

While Havenstein and Brown have solidified their position with effective, consistent play, it wasn’t so long ago the pair was considered among the biggest question marks on offense.

Havenstein was coming off an injury-riddled season and, for a time anyway, was moved to right guard when Robinson was given one-last shot at right tackle. But that plan was scrapped in OTA’s, with Havenstein moving back to tackle and Brown getting the nod – albeit tenuously – at right guard.

Rams coaches continually referred to the right side as a work in progress. Brown and Havenstein understood the situation.

“It’s the NFL. There’s always anxiety,” Havenstein said. “You’ve got to play football to stick around. But I think everyone who’s here right now had a great mentality about it. No one was scared about the competition.”

Brown and Havenstein were drafted together in 2015 and the Rams envisioned them being long-time anchors. As did the two young teammates, perhaps even side by side. But circumstances always got in the way.

Brown battled injuries, including a broken leg that limited him to nine games in 2015 and a broken hand that cost him five games last year. When he was healthy, Rams coaches couldn’t figure out a position for him. In fact, last year he played every line position but center.

Meanwhile, Havenstein missed all of training camp and preseason last year.

“So we never really were able to stick together,” Brown said. “This is the first time we’ve gotten a chance to settle in over a long period, get in sync and develop a chemistry.”

And it shows in their play — Goff has been sacked just 10 times on 244 pass attempts after going down 26 times on 205 attempts last year.

Eight games into the season, whatever anxiety that existed about the right side of the Rams line has vanished.

“Very pleased with those guys,” said Rams head coach Sean McVay. “Certainly there’s always things that we can clean up, but I think you watch their progression, the way that they continue to mature – they’re playing really good football right now. I think they’re getting comfortable, they’re getting a rapport with each other.”

There are more factors in play.

Getting consistent snaps alongside each other has been huge for Havenstein and Brown’s working relationship. The addition of McVay and offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur has meant a better utilization of individual skills and strength. And new offensive line coach Aaron Kromer has added a thorough, thoughtful voice that provides an element of high-level teaching with encouragement and allowance for input and feedback.

“Everybody is super detail oriented,” Sullivan said. “And just the dynamic of the room, the way Krom coaches, the amount of input that we’re able to give in terms of what we’re seeing and what we’re feeling. And then he’s able to take that and talk with Sean and make a final decision.”

Brown and Havenstein continually keep a close eye on their veteran teammates for tips. Especially Whitworth and Saffold their left-side tackle and guard counterparts.

“I’ve been very pleased with those guys and want to continue to seem them grow and develop,” McVay said of Brown and Havenstein. “But, just looking at where they are in their career and just kind of projecting moving forward, I feel very good about those two.”

[www.ocregister.com]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good Investments in the OL usually pay off good dividends. Its been a real long long time coming for us Ram fans This OL is mixed together with 2 recent well seasoned ex all pros & 3 (two seconds & a third) Ram draft selections. Does appear it the perfect blending that is the answer to this Ram OL.

One would hope that the Ram Org can make some additional good decisions & move to retain four of these starters here in four months. I see no reason not of offer John Sullivan a nice contract in March of 2018 & extend the other 3 younger Ram OL'ers during the 2018 season as well in 2018 too. I know everyone else is on with the Aaron Donald Sammy Watkins big contracts but IMO it all starts up front.

Notice as soon as the Ram OL gets its good act together so our QB can remain unmolested ....the Rams become winners? We had a very good defense for many years but still remained losers. I been resistant to being in favor of signing & paying too much for other teams UFA's but when it comes to the positions in the OL I have been SOLD! I still would like to rob the Skins of UFA Spencer Long in March just in case of injury. Long has started in the NFL in 3 interior OL posts. He is only 26 years old 6-5 320lbs.

It just takes so very long to get drafted OL'ers up to par with NFl starting level play. Here we are finally seeing our 2 high ( 2nd day picks) drafted OL'ers turning in solid constant on field play it only took 2 1/2 season to arrive here where we our at. In less than 16 months from now these 2 Ram drafted OL'ers will enter free agency.

IMO you can get faster better paying dividends from most all other positions through the draft but rarely on the OL so use your cap cash on healthy UFA's OL'ers.

Last edited:

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
We are definitely enjoying the fruits of a well established left side of the line and it looks like Brown and Hav are the stalwarts for years to come on the right.

To me, the key will be to develop replacements on the left side and center. Rodger has held up well this year, but isn’t it wishful thinking that we can trust his health to be consistent say for three more years? But these are considerations for the offseason.

For this year...the Rams have been blessed with great health and coaching. After so many seasons of it being otherwise, the football gods owe us this one season. Our best chance at glory is now. And it begins with destroying the Texans on Sunday.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Running back Todd Gurley has regained his status as an elite running back with 986 rushing yards and seven touchdowns.
It's 686 rushing yards. I did a double take on that one. I was like damn...he's chasing ED.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We are definitely enjoying the fruits of a well established left side of the line and it looks like Brown and Hav are the stalwarts for years to come on the right.

To me, the key will be to develop replacements on the left side and center. Rodger has held up well this year, but isn’t it wishful thinking that we can trust his health to be consistent say for three more years? But these are considerations for the offseason.

For this year...the Rams have been blessed with great health and coaching. After so many seasons of it being otherwise, the football gods owe us this one season. Our best chance at glory is now. And it begins with destroying the Texans on Sunday.
I have no big issues with offering Saffold a nice extension & resigning Saffold at this stage RS played all-season in 2016 @ various OL positions including left guard, left tackle, and right tackle. Even now he is still extra handy insurance for Goff @ LT over Darrell Williams & Cornelius Lucas to start if need be. Either Donnal or Blythe could easily fill in @ Saffold LG post. So with Saffold here things are not bleak @ LT for the rest of this season & 2018. I would advise to have him here.

Yes agree (y)that Rams must try once more (but now with Kromer) to find a young version of Andrew Whitworth replacement @ LT for Goff. Rams have big Fail Modes over the last 2 decades with first round left tackle busts like Alex Barron, Jason Smith & Greg Robinson :headexplosion::puke:.In the upcoming draft Rams are absent a 2nd round selection like Whitworth was thus it would be advisable to plan to consider utilizing our late first round draft selection to secure this vital prospect for Kromer to develop or wait till late in the second day & use the 3rd rounder, Time will tell but you can get Five seasons instead of four out of a first pick before entering free agency.

Another bigger problem pending in free agency will be @ CB. Rams Snead will have five CB's entering. Our top starting corner, our starting nickle 2014/2015 & 2016 seasons & now starting FS, our present 3rd & 4th corners & top reserve safety. Drafting a starting CB is a serious big need! However Snead has done well drafting DB's since his arrival.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's 686 rushing yards. I did a double take on that one. I was like damn...he's chasing ED.
I did a "Double-Take Too!
Gurley Has:
* 686 yards rushing / a 4.3 average / w/ 7 TD's!
* And 338 Yards Receiving / a 11.7 average / w/ 3 TD's
* that's 1024 total yards, with 10 TD's

This is just Half way through the Season Project that out the rest of the Season, that's 2048 yards and 20 TD's! Not too shabby!

Can he Bust ED's Record!!?!

Ram65

Legend
Getting to play together all year has to help. Stay healthy and keep getting better. Hav didn't look the same last year. They have come a long way from camp.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve gotta tip my hat to you, den.

You were always staunchly in Sully’s corner.

I, on the other hand, was worried about his back. Your confidence in Sully reassured me at the time, tbh.

Turns out that he was a helluva signing. He’s been a big part of this dramatic OL improvement this season.

I focused on Sully a great deal as I re-watched the Giant game. I was impressed. Blythe has been a pleasant surprise, but I hope Sully can stick around for another year or two. It would enable S&M to devote draft picks to other needs.

Incidentally, I would be remiss if I didn’t also compliment you on your early support of Kromer. Kromer has proven to be our 3rd best coaching hire, right behind McVay and Wade Phillips, themselves. That’s really saying something because there were a ton of quality coaching hires this offseason.

One thing is for sure, den. Next time you recommend a FA signing or a coaching hire, I’m gonna be all ears, man. Lol.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Couldn't be happier with the OL play this year. I think we have our C of the future too. If we can find that stud LT that'll be as good as Whit, this OL will be good for a long long time.

Any word on what's up with Donnal???

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

They were counting this week against the Texans.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Our starting O-Line should be set at least thru the end of the 2019 season when Whitworth's contract runs out and/or Sully finally runs out of gas. I fully expect the Rams to re-sign Sullivan to a 2 year contract so he can finish his career here. Amazing how in a few short months management has taken an annual shortcoming for our Rams and turned it into a team strength. Between poor personnel & a string of injuries our last several coaches have struggled mightily to fix this constant problem. Enter McVay & Kromer ; The Rams steal Whitworth & Sullivan while training up our sore-spots on the right side. Saffold is playing lights out now that he knows he has a permanent position, and it just happens to be between our two new veteran free agent studs. So now we get to observe a near worst to first improvement with the OL, benefiting our RB's, WR's and without doubt, our near rookie QB. It's almost an embarrassment of riches, ... almost. Being Rams fans we must fret over something with our new offense, so curiosity over eventual replacements at LT & Center may be taking center stage.

IMHO, the CB position seems desperate for off-season F/A or draft tinkering due to the inevitable loss of Tru Johnson, and we have 2 other CB's also due to hit free agency if we can't get them re-signed prior to the big event. Thing is, ... with the knowledge that Whitworth is fairly temporary, and this appearing to be a very strong class of OT's in the upcoming draft, also remembering we have no 2'nd round draft pick, how should we proceed ? Last year the offense was in most dire need and 3 of our first 4 draft picks went to the offense, they also used the bulk of our available Free Agency money rather wisely, on one Mr. Andrew Whitworth. I'm just gonna take a wild guess and imagine that other than many of our present players who will be re-signed rather than be allowed to walk, 2018 will see the Rams dedicate a larger emphasis towards improvement of the defense in both free agency and the draft, allowing Wade Phillips to fully complete his desired transition to the 3-4.

A potential conundrum may occur should a player such as 6'8" 360lbs. Orlando Brown happen to be on the board when the Rams make their first draft pick. We all know how Kromer likes those big offensive linemen, and they won't get much bigger than Brown. Now, if we jump at a LT, where do we put him while Whitworth finishes out his starting career ? He'll need to start somewhere, but where ? Since Saffold is playing so well, would the team make him a CAP Casualty, you wouldn't think so, but the Rams could save $6.5 mil. towards the CAP if they deal him, and even with only a year (2018) left to go on his contract, should be able to garner pretty decent trade compensation. So Brown or whoever the Rams like as Whitworth's eventual replacement would have a temporary home between him and Sullivan while learning the ropes, and the Rams are set for the future at the LT position as well as saves money off the CAP AND will receive trade compensation.

Just to wrap up, cutting Quinn & trading Saffold adds another near $18.mil to our already rather significant scheduled 2018 available CAP. ($38.mil. + $5.mil rollover + approx. annual NFL CAP raise of $10.mil. + Quinn/Saffold savings = near $71mil.)

Re-sign :

Sammy Watkins
Dominique Easley
Cody Davis
LaMarcus Joyner
John Sullivan
Jake McQuaide
Nickell Robey-Coleman
Tyrunn Walker

Free Agency :

CB - Malcolm Butler, N.E.
ILB - Todd Davis, Den.

Draft :

1) Orlando Brown, LT
3)
4)
5) < NT, OLB, CB, DE, S, QB (in any order)
6a)
6b)
6c)

Trade :

Saffold
Mannion

Cut :

Quinn
Westbrooks

Jmo.