Bonsignore: ‘Project Goff’ is underway at Rams headquarters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Nice recap to kick off draft week.
I can hardly hold my excitement for Friday night.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I'd rather have Scott Convington!
51667096-st-louis-rams-scott-covington-throws-his-gettyimages.jpg
lmao
standing-ovation.gif

bnw

Pro Bowler
Wow, 2-14? One could surmise that this offensive staff is the best since Mike Martz and you can't look in the review mirror, onward and upward and if the Rams end up 2-14 in 2017 dinner and your choice of an adult beverage is on me.;)

The head of this staff is (metaphorically) in diapers by NFL standards and should he have leakage issues I would be happy to make dry, breathable and non pinching or binding diaper suggestions. However, I expect almost nothing from them. I believe the bar has been set quite low. As a fan I hope they do much better than 2 wins but I will be consoled by your gracious dinner and drink offer.....I prefer a restaurant that serves Gerber and the breast milk is fresh out of the taps.:yess:

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

“Everything that we do starts with the quarterback in mind,” new coach Sean McVay said.

Bingo!

Finally, we again have a Rams coach who "get's it".

You've got to have that franchise qb.

You've to be able to protect him (Welcome aboard Mr Whitworth, we've needed someone like you for such a very long time.)

You've got to be able to get after the opponents qb. (Mr Quinn returning to pro bowl form would be a great help here.)

If Goff is not franchise qb material, I suspect our new head coach will be the first to realize this and will take appropriate action via the draft, trade, or fa with all due haste.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
The head of this staff is (metaphorically) in diapers by NFL standards and should he have leakage issues I would be happy to make dry, breathable and non pinching or binding diaper suggestions.

BNW, you're onto something here. How many of us wish we were this mature at 31? To surround yourself with experts like LaFleur, Wade, and Olson rather than letting your arrogance and ego take over thinking you can do this on your own. How many of our past coaches went to the buddy system instead of the experts? Fisher, Linny, Spags, Haslett? Heck even Martz had the arrogance to take on the front office.

I'm 40 and my career would have been much better with patience and trusting in experts. I have a ton of respect for the humility of Coach McVay and look forward to this season with the cadre of assistant coaches he's assembled.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
JM performed when called upon. The offense had talent then.
I beg to differ sir, I watched JM twice. Dude gave away both games for playing like shit.

Anywayscmy referrence of JM was more because we were talking about Martz and stated after a game ( almost positive it was the AZ game I watched ) " He held this team hostage. "

bnw

Pro Bowler
I beg to differ sir, I watched JM twice. Dude gave away both games for playing like crap.

Anywayscmy referrence of JM was more because we were talking about Martz and stated after a game ( almost positive it was the AZ game I watched ) " He held this team hostage. "

JM was no KW but that is high bar for any QB.

290 completions in 439 attempts for a 66.1% completion rate
7 starts and a 4-3 record, 15 TDs, 19 INTs
2944 yards and 6.7 yards per attempt, 10.2 yards per completion, 78.4 QB rating

Those are his numbers while on the Rams. Most of his 11 year career stats end up being slightly better than his Rams stats. Point being he wasn't the steaming pile you made him out to be.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
‘Project Goff’ is underway at Rams headquarters

Woods, while not the No. 1 wide receiver the Rams desperately need, is a precise route-runner with dependable hands and a willing blocker. Simply by being in the right place at the right time and consistently catching the ball, he can be a valuable addition.
[www.presstelegram.com]
This jumped out at me as something that could easily be glossed over but, from my perspective, is rather profoundly significant.

To make a play, you must first be in the proper position to make the play.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
If Goff is now being called a "project" why not hire the very best at just that? No one develops QBs like MIKE MARTZ.

But Mad Mike wasn't a fit for this particular staff. He isn't going to want to run a Walsh tree offense. Old dogs don't want to learn a new system that he probably feels is inferior to his own.
These posts get at the only thing that's dampening my enthusiasm for the upcoming season, namely the west coast offense system being involved, since I agree with the pro-Martz bias that the WCO is an inferior system. I see it as the McDonalds of offenses, easy to replicate, safe and a high floor and easy to compete quickly with -- which is part of why I'm sure so many wins-starved people are excited -- but I miss the chance to see something special and unique on the offensive side.

After emerging from whatever that monstrosity Fish/Boras were calling "offense", I get why fans would be excited with any sort of system that actually resembles professional football and thus are able to stomach its connection to the filthy Whiners pussy offenses of the past. The only reason so far that I am able to stomach it is that despite the name-dropping and WCO talk of the media, what the Redskins were actually doing on the field last year has almost zero in common with those past west coast offenses in that it attacked *vertically* -- Kirk Cousins' air yards were #1 in football.

My fear, however, is given that air yards for QBs are fickle, there's no way to know what's going to be asked of Goff -- game manager on safe, high percentage throws? Or let him win games by airing it out? If the offense struggles on vertical success, the fear is the default tendency of a west coast system to fall back on what's safe. Yes, cue up all the usual talk about how playing safe football works and is smart, but as a fan I love the beauty of the gunslinger mentality of Martz of saying screw the turnovers and the percentages, give me 40 yards instead of 4.

So for me, the jury is still out on what McVay is going to bring. Sure, today's game is all about dinking & dunking and of course 80% of the time Goff will be throwing short passes, but if you can't attack down the field then you become just like every other bland offense out there, a great offense needs that something else. I'm hoping McVay is young & fearless and willing to concoct that scheme that goes out on that limb that contains that ingredient of risk that makes a recipe special, not just another fast food offense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The real problem is that it got worse. Fisher kept hiring from within after Schottenheimer. Cignetti and Boras made Schotty look like a genius. The most depressing thing to me was bringing in a true up-and-comer in DeFilippo for an interview and then handing the job to Boras. That was a kick in the nuts after he made the same mistake passing on Hue.

Frankly, he might still be our coach if he hired DeFilippo. I guess I should be happy he didn't?

Well, you and I have agreed mostly on this for quite some time. The offense that started with Schotty was already a schematic mess, but that fact that Fisher essentially stuck with it and tried to McGyver other offensive strategies onto it only turned it from a mess to an abomination.

That's why I was all gloom and doom last off-season. I'm fairly certain that the Rams could have added multiple HoFers into that offense and it still wouldn't have amounted to much. No different than trying to run a Triple Option full time in the NFL. Wouldn't work with some of the best of all time.

Yet another reason to be so excited about the recent changes!!!

Thankfully, because the future is so bright, there is little inclination to sit in the dark past rehashing the autopsy of dead seasons...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
These posts get at the only thing that's dampening my enthusiasm for the upcoming season, namely the west coast offense system being involved, since I agree with the pro-Martz bias that the WCO is an inferior system. I see it as the McDonalds of offenses, easy to replicate, safe and a high floor and easy to compete quickly with -- which is part of why I'm sure so many wins-starved people are excited -- but I miss the chance to see something special and unique on the offensive side.

After emerging from whatever that monstrosity Fish/Boras were calling "offense", I get why fans would be excited with any sort of system that actually resembles professional football and thus are able to stomach its connection to the filthy Whiners wuss offenses of the past. The only reason so far that I am able to stomach it is that despite the name-dropping and WCO talk of the media, what the Redskins were actually doing on the field last year has almost zero in common with those past west coast offenses in that it attacked *vertically* -- Kirk Cousins' air yards were #1 in football.

My fear, however, is given that air yards for QBs are fickle, there's no way to know what's going to be asked of Goff -- game manager on safe, high percentage throws? Or let him win games by airing it out? If the offense struggles on vertical success, the fear is the default tendency of a west coast system to fall back on what's safe. Yes, cue up all the usual talk about how playing safe football works and is smart, but as a fan I love the beauty of the gunslinger mentality of Martz of saying screw the turnovers and the percentages, give me 40 yards instead of 4.

So for me, the jury is still out on what McVay is going to bring. Sure, today's game is all about dinking & dunking and of course 80% of the time Goff will be throwing short passes, but if you can't attack down the field then you become just like every other bland offense out there, a great offense needs that something else. I'm hoping McVay is young & fearless and willing to concoct that scheme that goes out on that limb that contains that ingredient of risk that makes a recipe special, not just another fast food offense.

Well, I've posted quite a bit that I think the Erhardt Perkins offense would be BY FAR the best system.

Problem is that... as the Pats demonstrate every year... you need a quick thinking, quick delivering QB (doesn't mean they aren't dumb as a box of rocks outside of football... both Brady and Roethlisberger aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer... more like butter knives, but luckily for them, they're savants at football...) AND cerebral WRs. Dunno why, but cerebral wide receiver is almost an oxymoron. Honestly, Pittsburgh also running the EP has lucked into multiple receivers with tremendous physical skills that can also master the system and found themselves LeVeon Bell who also is great in that system.

So, while I think in the abstract, the EP is better, there are a three drawbacks. A) it takes at least two years to be fully installed 2) it's by far the most complicated system for WRs and D) the QB and WRs have to not just play well, but have to see the defense the same way and react predictably EVERY PLAY, so being on the same page is beyond essential.

Just like the QBs coming out are fewer and fewer who understand the pro game, WRs are given less and less to do beyond run a basic route or beat the guy in front of them, a guy they often beat simply because they outclass him.

For these reasons, I've softened on my opposition to McVay's WCO. Firstly, he's been successful with it and that's important. Not all WCO's are created equal. Secondly, because he simplifying it for everyone, the barriers to success should be lowered initially. That's important to getting production right away.

The EP would be a long term investment and I dunno how many teams in the NFL can actually run it due to the dearth of WRs who can play in it. That just is.

Wouldn't be me if it weren't a long post.... LOL