Bonsignore: Here's why Kyle Shanahan should be high on Rams' coaching search list

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
oixee4-b88867015z.120161228184407000g0fks4t4.10.jpg

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins is still benefiting from his work with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, which is one reason the Rams would be smart to go after Shanahan, now offensive coordinator of the Falcons. (AP Photo/Richard Lipski)

Kirk Cousins didn’t get much playing time as a rookie quarterback with Washington in 2012.

As a lowly fourth-round pick playing for a team that just invested three first-round draft picks to move in position to draft Robert Griffin III second overall, he was destined to be a sideline mainstay.

Especially with RG3 on his way to a Rookie of the Year season while pushing Washington to the playoffs,

As professionally frustrating as that season might have been, it wasn’t a total waste for Cousins, who eventually supplanted RG3 and now has Washington on the brink of the playoffs.

In fact, the insight he gained observing then Washington offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan provided a class study in game-planning and play-calling. The lessons from which Cousins still marvels at to this day.

Albeit from afar now that Shanahan has moved on to the Atlanta Falcons.

Which brings us to the Rams and their coaching search, which kicks into high gear next week when they finally get to sit down with current NFL assistant coaches for interviews.

Shanahan sits among the top of potential candidates for the Rams, and for good reason.

In need of vision, imagination, a proven track record of developing, fine tuning and pushing multiple quarterbacks and teams to high-level offensive plateaus, Shanahan checks off almost all the boxes the Rams should be mindful of as they prepare to make one of the most important decisions in franchise history.

Just listen to what Cousins had to say about his former coach last year ahead of a Washington-Atlanta showdown.

“When you look at creativity and the ability to not be predictable, I was on the Redskins with Kyle, knew the system and didn’t know what was coming,” Cousins said. “I don’t mean to say he was pulling stuff out of left field. The ability to be thinking of the next play and being a step ahead, I think there’s a level of having the innate ability to do it that requires a quick mind. Kyle has that.”

It’s something Cousins immediately realized.

“I remember our very first game against the Saints, when Robert Griffin and I were rookies,” he explained. “I remember calling my dad after the game and saying, ‘I cannot believe how well-called that game was.’ They kept the Saints on their toes the whole game. They had no idea what was coming next. All of it was positive plays that put (Griffin) and the offense in a good situation to be successful. So, that was kind of my first taste of how good of a play-caller Kyle really was.”

If you’re the Rams, this should leave your ears ringing.

Even though it only scratches the surface of why the 37-year-old Shanahan makes so much sense for them.

As we’ve all seen this year, the Rams are in desperate need of an offensive overhaul as they try to grow and prosper around rookie quarterback Jared Goff.

From scheme to talent to play calling, to position development , nothing short of a complete renovation is required.

Short of prying a proven head coach away from his present job, the Rams will look to current coordinators for their next head coach. Almost undoubtedly one with an offensive track record.

Shanahan and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels are the two most popular names, but while McDaniels’ resume is limited to working with Tom Brady and a complete nosedive in his two years as head coach of the Denver Broncos, Shanahan brings a wide-ranging resume that includes successful coordinator stops with Houston, Washington and now Atlanta.

In fact, RGIII, Texans quarterback Matt Schaub, and the Falcons’ Matt Ryan have all had their best seasons working under Shanahan, who also oversaw strong running games at all three stops.

You can argue McDaniels is simply the product of working with Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Brady.

But with Shanahan, you’re talking about someone whose scheme, system and expertise have consistently resulted in top-10 offenses. It’s an attack based on a quick-strike, rhythm passing game that can get aggressive downfield in a hurry by spreading the ball around with boot-leg action quarterback roll-outs and a wide-zone run game grandfathered to him by zone-blocking guru Alex Gibbs, the offensive line coach under Shanahan’s father, Mike, during their time with the Denver Broncos.

The result being a balanced attack everywhere Shanahan has laid down roots.

It’s a resume that’s rightfully grabbed the attention of the Rams, who desperately need someone to bring out in Goff and young running back Todd Gurley everything they have to offer.

But also re-tool and develop an offensive line and overhaul a wide receiver group that presently strikes fear in no one.

That isn’t to say Shanahan will work immediate miracles if he’s hired.

But with a body of work like that, he’s exactly what the Rams should be focused on.

And if it means his father joining him in some capacity, preferably in a position that impacts personnel, all the better.

After all, with the Rams in need of a talent infusion along the offensive line and at wide receiver, you could do worse than Mike Shanahan calling those shots. And with his son making the transition from assistant to head coach, he wouldn’t be a bad confidante to have nearby.

The Rams figure to touch base with a number of candidates over the next few weeks.

But from this vantage point, Kyle Shanahan is well qualified.

Bonsignore: Here's why Kyle Shanahan should be high on Rams' coaching search list

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some have posted against Shanahan and every candidate will have his downfalls, but IMO, this guy has made several offense good, my God, even the Browns scored points and won 7 games with the likes of Hoyer at QB, West & Crowell at RB and Andrew Hawkins & MIles Austin at WR.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
oixee4-b88867015z.120161228184407000g0fks4t4.10.jpg

Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins is still benefiting from his work with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, which is one reason the Rams would be smart to go after Shanahan, now offensive coordinator of the Falcons. (AP Photo/Richard Lipski)

Kirk Cousins didn’t get much playing time as a rookie quarterback with Washington in 2012.

As a lowly fourth-round pick playing for a team that just invested three first-round draft picks to move in position to draft Robert Griffin III second overall, he was destined to be a sideline mainstay.

Especially with RG3 on his way to a Rookie of the Year season while pushing Washington to the playoffs,

As professionally frustrating as that season might have been, it wasn’t a total waste for Cousins, who eventually supplanted RG3 and now has Washington on the brink of the playoffs.

In fact, the insight he gained observing then Washington offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan provided a class study in game-planning and play-calling. The lessons from which Cousins still marvels at to this day.

Albeit from afar now that Shanahan has moved on to the Atlanta Falcons.

Which brings us to the Rams and their coaching search, which kicks into high gear next week when they finally get to sit down with current NFL assistant coaches for interviews.

Shanahan sits among the top of potential candidates for the Rams, and for good reason.

In need of vision, imagination, a proven track record of developing, fine tuning and pushing multiple quarterbacks and teams to high-level offensive plateaus, Shanahan checks off almost all the boxes the Rams should be mindful of as they prepare to make one of the most important decisions in franchise history.

Just listen to what Cousins had to say about his former coach last year ahead of a Washington-Atlanta showdown.

“When you look at creativity and the ability to not be predictable, I was on the Redskins with Kyle, knew the system and didn’t know what was coming,” Cousins said. “I don’t mean to say he was pulling stuff out of left field. The ability to be thinking of the next play and being a step ahead, I think there’s a level of having the innate ability to do it that requires a quick mind. Kyle has that.”

It’s something Cousins immediately realized.

“I remember our very first game against the Saints, when Robert Griffin and I were rookies,” he explained. “I remember calling my dad after the game and saying, ‘I cannot believe how well-called that game was.’ They kept the Saints on their toes the whole game. They had no idea what was coming next. All of it was positive plays that put (Griffin) and the offense in a good situation to be successful. So, that was kind of my first taste of how good of a play-caller Kyle really was.”

If you’re the Rams, this should leave your ears ringing.

Even though it only scratches the surface of why the 37-year-old Shanahan makes so much sense for them.

As we’ve all seen this year, the Rams are in desperate need of an offensive overhaul as they try to grow and prosper around rookie quarterback Jared Goff.

From scheme to talent to play calling, to position development , nothing short of a complete renovation is required.

Short of prying a proven head coach away from his present job, the Rams will look to current coordinators for their next head coach. Almost undoubtedly one with an offensive track record.

Shanahan and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels are the two most popular names, but while McDaniels’ resume is limited to working with Tom Brady and a complete nosedive in his two years as head coach of the Denver Broncos, Shanahan brings a wide-ranging resume that includes successful coordinator stops with Houston, Washington and now Atlanta.

In fact, RGIII, Texans quarterback Matt Schaub, and the Falcons’ Matt Ryan have all had their best seasons working under Shanahan, who also oversaw strong running games at all three stops.

You can argue McDaniels is simply the product of working with Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Brady.

But with Shanahan, you’re talking about someone whose scheme, system and expertise have consistently resulted in top-10 offenses. It’s an attack based on a quick-strike, rhythm passing game that can get aggressive downfield in a hurry by spreading the ball around with boot-leg action quarterback roll-outs and a wide-zone run game grandfathered to him by zone-blocking guru Alex Gibbs, the offensive line coach under Shanahan’s father, Mike, during their time with the Denver Broncos.

The result being a balanced attack everywhere Shanahan has laid down roots.

It’s a resume that’s rightfully grabbed the attention of the Rams, who desperately need someone to bring out in Goff and young running back Todd Gurley everything they have to offer.

But also re-tool and develop an offensive line and overhaul a wide receiver group that presently strikes fear in no one.

That isn’t to say Shanahan will work immediate miracles if he’s hired.

But with a body of work like that, he’s exactly what the Rams should be focused on.

And if it means his father joining him in some capacity, preferably in a position that impacts personnel, all the better.

After all, with the Rams in need of a talent infusion along the offensive line and at wide receiver, you could do worse than Mike Shanahan calling those shots. And with his son making the transition from assistant to head coach, he wouldn’t be a bad confidante to have nearby.

The Rams figure to touch base with a number of candidates over the next few weeks.

But from this vantage point, Kyle Shanahan is well qualified.

I like this^ and find this argument very convincing. But the two BIG questions for me are:

* Who will he bring in as DC!? I want our Defense to return to absolute Dominance!
AND
* Who will he have as a Special Teams Coach!? This is an excellent Unit, I hope he Keeps Fassel!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

* Who will he bring in as DC!? I want our Defense to return to absolute Dominance!
AND
* Who will he have as a Special Teams Coach!? This is an excellent Unit, I hope he Keeps Fassel!!

1. Gus Bradley
  2. John Fassel

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be fine with Shanahan.

I want a proven, experienced, successful HC in the NFL... he is not that... but his dad is, and I'm not naive enough to think the old man would not have a strong advisory role.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's possible that Bradley is the guy. However, I think Raheem Morris would be the more likely pick.

That could be, however, I would have some trepidation with Morris because he's never been a defensive coordinator at the NFL Level. He did coordinate Kansas State for one year in 2006 and they rated 69th out of 116 giving up 23.8 points a game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That could be, however, I would have some trepidation with Morris because he's never been a defensive coordinator at the NFL Level. He did coordinate Kansas State for one year in 2006 and they rated 69th out of 116 giving up 23.8 points a game.

He was the DC of the Buccaneers defense the first two years during his tenure as HC. There were mixed results. He handed it off in his third year and things fell apart.

Regardless, he's the guy I expect because him and Shanny have stuck together since Raheem's firing from the Bucs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kyle fits what the Rams need right now. But obviously if Stan goes that route patience is going to be required. Invest in the young offensive mind, build things around him, and be patient as he grows into that great head coach you desire. Patience above all IMO.

This is a big hire and the Rams have to get it right in order to be positioned as a team that matters when that stadium opens in 2019. And more importantly to change their fortunes and become a perennial threat for playoffs and beyond. I think Kyle would be a great first step, but to get where they want to be they gotta get more right than just him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Take a close look at the shoulder of Cousins uni, specifically the number 8.

Doesn't it look like the number 12 was once there?

That has to be a pre season game since the Browns didn't play the Redskins during the regular season the year Shanahan was in CLE.

@den-the-coach I think the Browns were something like 7-4 when Hoyer got hurt and they were stuck with Wheeden and Manziel for the rest of the year. Could be wrong but I think that's correct.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@den-the-coach I think the Browns were something like 7-4 when Hoyer got hurt and they were stuck with Wheeden and Manziel for the rest of the year. Could be wrong but I think that's correct.

You are absolutely correct sir, Hoyer getting hurt caused the Browns to spiral downward and
I truly believe the reason Shanahan left Cleveland is he did not believe in Manziel which was a good thing and got him to franchise that had more offensive weapons to work with. Asshole Face would be number one for (Again if David Shaw is a no) but I would be totally on board with Kyle Shanahan and would be interested with a young Head Coach & Quarterback to see if that led to long term success.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
To say the rams receivers don't strike fear in anyone isn't necessarily true. They've been scaring the shit outta me for years. But seriously, I think a better scheme can use at least britt and tavon. Not sure what we have in cooper or thomas but I'm interested in kyle s take on those guys once he sees the film.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Andrew Hawkins is whom Tavon Austin should study, similar ability and size

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
With Shanahan, we may need an oline overhaul with more athletic men. We drafted maulers, built to attack straight on.
But what the heck. It's not like what we have now is working. It's just a shame, we may have wasted last year's oline dominate draft.