Bonsignore: Go time has arrived for the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bonsignore: Go time has arrived for the Rams

By VINCENT BONSIGNORE / STAFF COLUMNIST

Inherently, the NFL bye week is rife with worry.

Coaches wave so long to their team for five days or so, and while their practical side understands the need for players to unplug and unwind and rest up for the remaining balance of the schedule, the anxious side worries about the sometimes volatile mix of youth and money and too much free time on one’s hand.

“I don’t want any early-morning phone calls,” is how Rams coach Jeff Fisher put it soon after sending his players on their merry way last week.

From a tactical standpoint, there is concern the break might adversely affect a team’s momentum or throw rhythm out of whack or that division foes will gain ground on them or create more distance from them by winning games while they’re at home watching.

Point being, there’s apprehension.

So consider that breeze sweeping north from Thousand Oaks this week, a giant sigh of relief from the Rams.

The bye week passed without incident. All players were present and accounted for when everyone returned in Ventura County.

They were rested, energized and raring to go

And in surprisingly good shape to make a move in the NFC West.

In fact, without even playing Sunday the Rams actually picked up ground on the Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals, the two teams perched ahead of them in the division standings.

The bye week, it turns out, was a win-win for the the Rams.

In spite of the three-game losing streak, 3-4 record, third-place standing and high penalty and interception rates, the Rams are well-positioned to deal with the second half of the season.

It matters little how they arrived here, or how much better off they’d be had they held on to beat the Detroit Lions and New York Giants directly in front of the break.

Had they won both games – and each was in their grasp – the Rams would be in first place right now.

But that’s neither here nor there.

They emerged from their break in better shape than when it began.

The frustrated group of Rams that boarded their plane for an 11-hour flight home from London 11 days ago was bouncing around the field Tuesday. The vibe was upbeat and positive. The sense of opportunity apparent.

“The bye week was perfect timing for us top clear our minds and get our bodies back,” defensive tackle Aaron Donald said.

And it treated them better than they probably deserve.

The key now is doing something that’s eluded them for years.

Seize the moment.

With nine games remaining and sitting 11/2 games behind the Seahawks and a half-game behind the Cardinals – while owning the tiebreaker against each – the Rams essentially control their own destiny.

They have four winnable games in front of them, with the vulnerable Carolina Panthers visiting the Coliseum on Sunday followed by games against the New York Jets, Miami Dolphins and New Orleans Saints.

Russell Wilson has been banged up all season and isn’t playing anywhere close to his usual level.

Carson Palmer has been mostly dreadful this year.

If you look past the Rams’ record, there is reason to be hopeful.

They’ve been competitive in every game but their opening-night loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

A play here or a play there, and we’d be having a completely different conversation right now.

Call it stupid blind optimism, but the Rams are inches from their goal, not yards.

“We just have to keep playing hard and finish games,” Donald said.

It sounds so, well, doable.

And if they can successfully navigate their way through this relatively soft part of the schedule, they’ll be in excellent shape as they move into December.

But this is the Rams we’re talking about, so the alternative is every bit as prevalent.

That would be stumbling out of the break, losing games they should win with silly penalties and back-breaking turnovers and letting opportunity slip from their grasp.

If so, good chance we’ll soon be talking about making a quarterback switch from Case Keenum to Jared Goff.

And not if Fisher should be let go at the end of the season, but who should succeed him.

It’s go time for the Rams.

But the uncertainty is killing us.

Nothing less than a potential division championship and the job of the head coach and quarterback hinge on their ability to push the right button.

“We know what we have to do,” Donald said.

Maybe so, but with no recent history of embracing opportunities, Rams fans are understandably apprehensive.

And the rest of us skeptical.

As for the Rams, they remain practical.

“Obviously, (winning the division is) our goal, as is the rest of the teams in the division,” Fisher said. “But, this thing just becomes one at a time now, it really does. November is an important month to make a move if you’re going to have a chance to plan in January, but you can’t look ahead. You can’t look ahead to December. You just got to focus on each opponent.”

It all sounds so plausible and promising.

And we want to believe.

But then, when is the last time the Rams seized the moment?

Now is as good as any.

[www.ocregister.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
" WE CAN DO THIS!!"
muscleti5.gif
GO RAMS!!

addon.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We are very fortunate on the health front right now, so yeah that's something we can look at positively.

Another is the relative youth of the line. I hate to hear Fish talking about how they need to get better, when I expected that out the gate, but there is that chance it happens. And if it does it means the run game starts showing up, which makes Case and everyone better.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This is the first playoff game of the year for the Rams. Also Keenum is playing for his job in this one IMO. Falling to 3-5 with road games at NE and SEA down the stretch would nuke any chance at playoffs. This is a must win game and another benchmark for Fisher and his staff. I felt the 2013 team should have won that game against the Panthers too, but too many costly mistakes in that game and then we all know what happened in the 4th quarter...

I just don't see a good team until they can do what they are built to do, ya know, run the dang ball!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
That was a non enlightening article to read. I mean it wasn't a very creative piece about the importance of this next game. And the the Title of the article surely doesn't fit the magnitude of his points. "Go time has arrived for the Rams" ?

"Go time" was when the Rams were 3-2
and had a chance to reach the 4-2 mark for the first time in Fisher's 5 year career as the Rams head coach.

"Go time" was when the Rams fell to 3-3
and had a chance to sail into their bye week with a 4-3 record and some much needed momentum.

Mr. Bonsignore, this is well past and beyond "go time". This is "desperate measures time" in the biggest way for these 2016 Rams. The consequences that will follow if the Rams lose Sunday will likely be paramount to any playoff hopes they're clinging onto.

tumblr_mqwyhsOBFn1rgj5gwo3_500.gif

______
Desperation_zpsaefvn7q2.jpg

JackStraw

Rookie
It's hype games like this that make the losing pill so hard to swallow. My stomach is getting full of those things - please win, Rams! Please! I want to listen to the post game show and track the Monday national TV/radio coverage - things I don't do after losses.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
That was a non enlightening article to read. I mean it wasn't a very creative piece about the importance of this next game. And the the Title of the article surely doesn't fit the magnitude of his points. "Go time has arrived for the Rams" ?

and had a chance to reach the 4-2 mark for the first time in Fisher's 5 year career as the Rams head coach.

and had a chance to sail into their bye week with a 4-3 record and some much needed momentum.

Mr. Bonsignore, this is well past and beyond "go time". This is "desperate measures time" in the biggest way for these 2016 Rams. The consequences that will follow if the Rams lose Sunday will likely be paramount to any playoff hopes they're clinging onto.

______

Dude, take the drama down a tad, will ya?

Bruce2980

Starter

______

Yes, it is do or die time.

I thought this article was about the Rams wearing out their welcome in LA already and they were beings aksed to go, as in leave, get the F**k out, hit the road Jack and don't come back kinda way. So I am very relieved to find out that the title of this article has absolutely nothing to do with the article in anyway.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I hope the Rams show up in every game they play in obviously but this week, even more so.

I have to admit that the best way to describe my current feeling towards the team (and the NFL in general to be honest) is apathy. Can't remember if I felt this way in previous seasons when the inevitable slide to average occurred like it has the last 3 games this year. Or maybe Fisherball has finally taken its toll on me after four plus years.

I need a shot in the arm Jeff.

#prayforLumberTubs

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
meh ...This is the rams baby...who knows ...we could win in some tight scary heart stopping situation in the dying seconds ...we could be down a FG and we are driving in the two minute drill and a bone headed mistake costs us the game ...im seriously apathetic to the whole goff/keemum situation...i want us to win not sure we will ...but ill be watching as best as i can via redzone ,,,screaming at every TD/TO

ladies and gentlemen ..the life of a rams fan

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
No apathy, but a lot of disdain for what is happening in Ramsworld.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It's hype games like this that make the losing pill so hard to swallow. My stomach is getting full of those things - please win, Rams! Please! I want to listen to the post game show and track the Monday national TV/radio coverage - things I don't do after losses.
" Winning this Game will make for the Highest of Highs!!":mrburnsevil: Especially after the Cards and Hags both Lost last week-end!!(y):D And my gut tells me the Hags could Loose again this week-end!!
dead meet.jpg
:snicker:
:party:
Dancing Ape.gif

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Dude, take the drama down a tad, will ya?

1st. I'm not your dude mr. Ramlock. ;)

2nd.
I don't tell you when to take your posts up or down a tad based on a perception of drama or what ever the claim perceived or portrayed is in the subject matter.

3rd.
The Rams losing Sunday isn't about drama. A loss Sunday would be their 4th in a row which in reality would severely diminish their playoffs hopes more than just a tad. This game vs the Panthers in some peoples opinions is very much a scary and desperately needed victory.

s-l300.jpg