Bold and beautiful: 5 bold predictions for Rams training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...ul-5-bold-predictions-for-rams-training-camp/

By: Jake Ellenbogen | 21 hours ago

Position battles are about to really heat up this summer in Oxnard.

The best 53 players will stay put. But Los Angeles Rams fans might be surprised at who sticks around and who gets the training camp axe.

Here are five bold predictions for the Rams’ upcoming training camp:

1. Brian Quick-to-be-cut?
Head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead need to call it quits on “Project Quick.” The fifth-year receiver had an injury during what could’ve been his 2014 breakout season, and overall, there’s just been too much disappointment. He won’t be included in the final 53-man roster.

Why? This stat from Nathan Jahnke of Pro Football Focus sums it up well:

Quick has now played in four seasons (51 total games due to injuries), and still hasn’t accumulated 1,000 receiving yards in his career. To top it off, with the emergence of a four-headed monster of undrafted free agents vying for roster spots, that should only solidify the end of Quick’s time wearing horns.

2. Relying on Randolph?
With the departure of former starting free safety Rodney McLeod, there’s a golden opportunity for some Ram — any Ram — to step in.

UDFA Brian Randolph has the physical traits and tools to emerge from a group that features Cody Davis and Maurice Alexander. He’ll be the starter come Week 1 in San Francisco.

Watch his career highlights below. He’s making those plays against SEC-level competition; the jump to McLeod’s old jump shouldn’t be a big one.

3. Pharoh rules the slot?
The fourth-rounder from South Carolina shows similar traits to Stedman Bailey and Danny Amendola. He’ll step right in and be Jared Goff’s slot machine from Week 1.

NFL Media’s draft guru Mike Mayock praised Cooper’s slot skill set as soon as the Rams drafted him.

The full expectation is that Cooper will be a matchup nightmare in tight spaces. With no established tight end on the team — a position that usually works routes over the middle — he could be on track for a big rookie debut.

Pharoh Cooper: If I'm on the field with Tavon Austin, it 'could be dangerous'
4. Undrafted, un-cuttable?
The Rams simply love this group of pass-catchers. They cut big checks to assemble them after the 2016 Draft — and that investment should pay off.

Former Auburn WR Duke Williams and former Colorado WR Nelson Spruce will be on the 53-man roster. Two other UDFAs could (and probably should) make the practice squad.

Fellow UDFAs Paul McRoberts and Marquez North have great size and hands, but Williams has the bigger upside, as well as a 6-foot-2, 216-pound frame.

Spruce (6-foot-1 and 206 pounds) has size as well. And he’s benefitted from some one-on-one time with Goff that’ll only help his case come camp cut-downs.

5. See you later, Mr. Mason?
The former Auburn running back had fans abuzz after Auburn’s magical season. Then, he really caught their attention after a three-touchdown afternoon vs. the Oakland Raiders in 2014.

The Rams took Todd Gurley the very next year. And Mason has done nothing since to stick behind TG3 as the team’s RB2. His recent legal troubles certainly don’t help.

He could very well the join the list of Rams runners — like Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, and Zac Stacy — who were all replaced by UDFAs. Former TCU standout Aaron Green is waiting.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Quick stays as well.
But, consider the source of this opinion. I always ensured everyone JL wasn't going anywhere (y)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Spruce is going to make it but I doubt Williams does. Also doubt Quick gets cut

I agree with the article. Cya Quick. Hello Williams and either Spruce or McRoberts.

All it will take is someone to stand out enough to make the coaches think that he will be a good NFL receiver, and Quick will be gone. He has had enough time to prove himself.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I agree somewhat.... if Quick beats out Britt then I keep him.... if he is a back up I cut him if it's even close between him and the next real young wr on the depth chart..... in other words keep the best 5 in Goff's rookie year.

I think Cody Davis wins this Free Safety Competition going away....just a prediction. ...nothing to back it up...lol

If we cut Mason it's because there are 4 or 5 better backs on the roster. ...keep the best 5.

Go Rams.......... ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt, Austin, Cooper, Thomas, Williams and Spruce make the roster with McRoberts and North on the PS. Could see Marquez making the team also if we carry 7 WR but I don't think he's PS eligible.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't mind seeing Quick cut. I don't believe he's got the mental makeup to be a decent receiver. He disappears for long stretches. IIRC, that one stretch were he played well was mostly during the first 4 games. The last 3 before the injury he didn't do much. Makes me think once defenses started game planning for him he couldn't adjust. He's not going to be that guy they thought they could turn him into.

Edit: After reviewing his game logs in 2014, he had 4 catches for 53 yards and 0 TD's in his last 3 games before the injury. His catches for each game was 1, 2 and 1. Seems like he was regressing back to his old self. All I saw from him during his career was a decent, not good but decent 4 game stretch. I just don't see him as a viable receiver.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
After reviewing his game logs in 2014, he had 4 catches for 53 yards and 0 TD's in his last 3 games before the injury. His catches for each game was 1, 2 and 1. Seems like he was regressing back to his old self.
Or perhaps the QB was looking elsewhere? Perhaps someone else was indeed open? You can throw out the early games if you want too, Quick was a factor in all of them...and was playing like an emerging #1 wr....
Quick cut?!? QUICK CUT????? BRIAN QUICK, 2nd round pick, just re-signed CUT!?!?
And I like Jake the writer too.....my 6 wrs.....Quick, yes he will and SHOULD start...Easily....There is NO WAY you can't pass some of the blame to the coaches & the sorry ass QB play...but b4 I go off, Quick, Britt, Austin, Cooper, Thomas....and I still say we need another dynamic wr out wide...and that's Marquez North to me...Duke, Spruce, and McRoberts all seem like larger, slot-type wrs. I'd try to keep them on the PS.

If Brian Randolph starts I'd be pumped!

And, I'd really pump the brakes on 4th round wrs....if a couple of them catch 20 passes I'd be ecstatic...thrilled...and really...almost as shocked as I'd be if they cut Quick...

JC-3

UDFA
Name
JC-3
I would like everyone of of these predictions to happen.

Please!!!

lockdnram21

Legend
The way fisher was already saying he liked Groh influence on Quick no way he's cut. Also if spruce and williams Both make it that's 2 more slot receivers along with Cooper.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Brian Quick seemed to have trouble grasping the Rams philosophy even with three years under the same offensive coordinator.There’s also the possibility that slow-witted Quick will have trouble learning a slightly modified Rob Boras/Mike Groh system.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
The writer has some interesting opinions but he is wrong on most of them, IMO.

1.) Brian Quick will not be cut. He may not be a starter but he will have an important role to play going forward.

2.) While I am as excited about Brian Randolph as the next fan there is no way in Hades he is the starter come week one. I think his career will be much like McLeod's when he first came to the Rams. Big ST role as rookie, then slowly and gradually moved up from there.

3.) Not really seeing this one either. Do the Rams even use a slot receiver as much as the other teams? I don't know if they do or not but if they do why not give that role to Tavon? Cooper will make some plays this year and will show that he has an exciting future but that's about it for a 4th round rookie.

4.) Either Williams or Spruce will make the final 53 and the other will be relegated to the PS. Neither McRoberts nor North will make the team and both will be cut.

5.) It seems fashionable lately to pile on Tre Mason but the only opinion that counts is Fisher's. I just don't see him giving up on this player so soon. Many like Malcolm Brown and Bennie Cunningham and although both can fill specific roles on the Rams neither brings the talent and athleticism of a Mason. Fish knows this and will judge the situation accordingly.

~ArkyRamsFan~

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

quick is a lock to make the team. the rams want to run gurley all day long and quick is the best wr blocker on the team. i'll be shocked if he's let go.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm kinda curious where Hemingway fits, whether the Rams would keep him as a 4'th TE or perhaps even designate him as more of a WR. Harkey is the only decent run blocker among the TE's, so I can't imagine him going anywhere, and Kendricks/Higbee appear set. Hemingway isn't much of a blocker, but has all the receiving tools and seems like an excellent red-zone option. My guess is that Justice Cunningham won't make the 53. It's great to see a high level of competition among our receivers, definitely been one of our weakest units over the past decade. jmo.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
So far in OTA's, Nelson Spruce looks like Goff's main target. He's caught the most passes and he and Goff hooked up for 20yd TD today.;

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
quick is a lock to make the team. the rams want to run gurley all day long and quick is the best wr blocker on the team. i'll be shocked if he's let go.

Actually, according to PFF, both Britt & Austin graded higher in run blocking & pass blocking over Quick.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, according to PFF, both Britt & Austin graded higher in run blocking & pass blocking over Quick.

Well that surprises me. Every time i saw a big run it seemed like i saw quick holding off the db to spring it open.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

If that's the best thing he has going for himself after four years of training and development we got problems.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well that surprises me. Every time i saw a big run it seemed like i saw quick holding off the db to spring it open.

While the overall grades are fairly distant from one another, all three of their run blocking scores were quite close, it was the receiving and running which really separated their production.

Quick graded as the 108'th overall WR last season, with a run blocking score of 73.3.
Austin graded 86'th overall and had a run blocking score of 74.8.
Britt graded as the 46'th overall WR and earned a run blocking score of 77.3.

All 3 WR's did a pretty solid job in the run blocking department. Interestingly enough, run blocking is where former Rams TE Cook graded the highest of all his personal stats, with a 73.9 score. Kendrick's scored a lowly 43 and Harkey scored 67 points.