Bob Stoops open to making NFL leap

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
This could make things incredibly interesting this off season. Whatever team signed him would be the team most likely to offer more for Sam. Will be watching this closely, if he does sign with a team in need of a QB, could that make an offer for him?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9278/bob-stoops

Report: Bob Stoops 'open' to making NFL leap

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops is "open" to making the leap to the NFL.
Ensconced at Oklahoma since 1999, Stoops has resisted countless overtures to bolt Norman, Ok., but has seemingly plateaued at OU. He might finally be ready to make a change. It's also possible Stoops has been emboldened to make a move by the NFL success of former college coaches Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll. Stoops has compiled a 159-39 record in 15 seasons at Oklahoma, and favors a pass-happy offense.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter Dec 30 - 1:45 PM

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But would he be well received? I see him as strictly a college guy. I wouldn't be rooting for him to be my coach.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Of course, this could be going back to my big 12 hatred of him

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not gonna happen.

Although w/ OU's program in somewhat of a flux right now, it would be a good time to make a change if he wanted to. But it doesn't fit his personality/loyalty.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ugh, just to see that ugly ass maroon makes me sick. Almost as much as hearing the word J Hawk lol

MIZ ZOU!!!!

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not gonna happen.

Although w/ OU's program in somewhat of a flux right now, it would be a good time to make a change if he wanted to. But it doesn't fit his personality/loyalty.

That is a good point. He is a very loyal guy. Which is why if he did make the jump, I would think he might want to get a guy he knows and trust, aka Sam.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I could see the Sam Bradford trade talks now! Lol

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
My worry with Stoops would be this. Name me 5 players in the NFL that represent the success that he had at OU. You have Peterson, Bradford(some May even argue against this one) Kenny Stills may be legit soon......I can't really think of any other guys. And I'm sure I'm missing some. But it makes me wonder about his development abilities

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My worry with Stoops would be this. Name me 5 players in the NFL that represent the success that he had at OU. You have Peterson, Bradford(some May even argue against this one) Kenny Stills may be legit soon......I can't really think of any other guys. And I'm sure I'm missing some. But it makes me wonder about his development abilities

Gerald McCoy and DeMarco Murray are the only other ones i can think of.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
McCoy...that's a good pick. Murray, I don't know. Seems like he is legit. But they don't run him enough to see if he really can do the job. I guess this argument could also sway to the "He did a lot with less" but I don't see it that way.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Trent Williams
Lane Johnson
Gerald McCoy
Phil Loadholt
Jermaine Gresham
DeMarco Murray
Davin Joseph

Then you have guys like Tommie Harris, Jammall Brown, etc that had good careers.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know there are players in the league. I'm talking about difference makers. Yes, Trent Williams is one and Davin Joseph.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
But for 14 years...that's not a whole lot. Tommy was a flash in the pan kinda guy. He had his moments, but was an eventual let down. And Brown has been solid. But none of the rest, I wouldn't say, have been difference makers outside of McCoy and the others mentioned

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But for 14 years...that's not a whole lot. Tommy was a flash in the pan kinda guy. He had his moments, but was an eventual let down. And Brown has been solid. But none of the rest, I wouldn't say, have been difference makers outside of McCoy and the others mentioned

I think that what he would say about that would be that he wasn't recruiting for the NFL. That he was recruiting for the players that best fit his system at Oklahoma. Whether or not that translated into NFL success for his players is not on him.