Bob Papa just said

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two words: Franchise Tag

Don't forget about next year's free agent class. Players of note: Roddy White, Torrey Smith, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Michael Crabtree.

That's an insane free agent class.

You have to imagine that most of these players are going to want to test the market given the growing salary cap.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is a number 2 or number 3 WR?

For me, a #1 WR is a player capable of winning 1 on 1 match-ups consistently on the outside and capable of dictating coverage. Without looking at a list, I'd say there are around 15(give or take 3) players I'd consider #1 WRs. #2 WRs are outside WRs that are not good enough to be a #1. A #3 WR is usually a slot WR but may be an outside WR that cannot consistently separate outside who is better off in the slot(Brandon Gibson is an example of this type of WR). A #4 WR is a role player typically.

At least in my book.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If Britt, Quick and Givens under perform this gear I could see at least two of them not making it on the team the following year. Quite possible all 3. Depending how they perform would make the Rams grab a wr early next year, though picking 32nd isnt to early :sneaky:
I pray thats the case bro! #32 ;) lol
Have you heard of any FA WR's coming up next year or good WR coming out by chance? I have a feeling this year one or two of those WR's will do decent enough to not get the axe. Britt if he doesn't catch idiotcitis again might be around for a few more years.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I pray thats the case bro! #32 ;) lol
Have you heard of any FA WR's coming up next year or good WR coming out by chance? I have a feeling this year one or two of those WR's will do decent enough to not get the axe. Britt if he doesn't catch idiotcitis again might be around for a few more years.

There are a lot. These were posted earlier detailing some of the top WR FA's and prospects.

Don't forget about next year's free agent class. Players of note: Roddy White, Torrey Smith, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Michael Crabtree.

That's an insane free agent class.

You have to imagine that most of these players are going to want to test the market given the growing salary cap.
2015 is a bad year for WRs? Amari Cooper, Dorial Green-Beckham, Antwan Goodley, DeVante Parker, Rashad Greene, D'haquille Williams, Nelson Agholor, and Stefon Diggs. And I could name more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a possibility if their respective teams all want and can afford to pay them $11.5M for the following season.

Some of those players will shake free.

I don't know if we'll want to give a long term deal next year with all our guys hitting FA.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't know if we'll want to give a long term deal next year with all our guys hitting FA.
Not only that but it is WAY too early to talk 2015 FAs IMO. We have a team of youngsters. By the time FA hits in 2015, our needs could be vastly different than they APPEAR now.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Who's going to be hitting FA that's worth signing long-term within the next few years? Quinn obviously.

Other than that Barksdale and Kendricks are the only two players that have a good shot at seeing raises on the open market this coming offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if Barksdale walks with the team moving Robinson to the right side.

You'll have Wells coming off the books. Langford may be in his last season if Donald tears it up. I hope the AAV of Bradford's next contract doesn't exceed that of his rookie deal. Laurinaitis's contract is majorly discounted after this year.

Sure you want to have money available for Brockers, Jenkins, Austin, Ogletree, etc. but they're not due up for contracts for another 2-4 years.

With the cap rising there should be more than enough felixibility to get something done there should they choose to go that direction. Depending on how well the offense does this year they may not even consider it.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I have high hopes for Bailey... Tavon I don't even put into the whole number system, since he's a specialized weapon.

Tavon Austin has to be much, much more than simply a "specialized" weapon. He's an outside guy primarily who can burn the d and break any given play for a big one - and due to his size and shiftiness you can move him around the line of scrimmage and in motion to the inside etc. You don't (or shouldn't) trade up to pick a specialized weapon #8 overall. He's better than that and would be wasted in a gimmicky role.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
For me, a #1 WR is a player capable of winning 1 on 1 match-ups consistently on the outside and capable of dictating coverage. Without looking at a list, I'd say there are around 15(give or take 3) players I'd consider #1 WRs. #2 WRs are outside WRs that are not good enough to be a #1. A #3 WR is usually a slot WR but may be an outside WR that cannot consistently separate outside who is better off in the slot(Brandon Gibson is an example of this type of WR). A #4 WR is a role player typically.

At least in my book.
How many Super Bowl winners have had a #1 WR the past few years? Is Boldin a #1 or a strong #2?

ED_29

Tavon Austin has to be much, much more than simply a "specialized" weapon. He's an outside guy primarily who can burn the d and break any given play for a big one - and due to his size and shiftiness you can move him around the line of scrimmage and in motion to the inside etc. You don't (or shouldn't) trade up to pick a specialized weapon #8 overall. He's better than that and would be wasted in a gimmicky role.

Hes an outside guy? Hmmm... IDK about that. He can occasionally play outside but thats not where he will make his living. He is a slot WR primarily and can be used of special plays and runs around the LOS. There is nothing wrong with that or spending the draft to get that kind of player. The NFL has changed WRs don't singularly play outside any longer. Especially with all the formations we are seeing now. Percy Harvin is the template. Lets just hope he stays healthier than Harvin

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Tavon should be utilized on the outside far more than he was last season. He should also be used in the backfield far more than he was last season.

Basically if they plan to use him just as they did Danny Amendola, they're wasting his skill set. He can be a very versatile receiving thread and I really hope they've realized this after one season.

If the offense is on the field, Tavon needs to be out there.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go watch highlights from the Indy game...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many Super Bowl winners have had a #1 WR the past few years? Is Boldin a #1 or a strong #2?

Boldin at this point in his career is a #2.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hes an outside guy? Hmmm... IDK about that. He can occasionally play outside but thats not where he will make his living. He is a slot WR primarily and can be used of special plays and runs around the LOS. There is nothing wrong with that or spending the draft to get that kind of player. The NFL has changed WRs don't singularly play outside any longer. Especially with all the formations we are seeing now. Percy Harvin is the template. Lets just hope he stays healthier than Harvin

Percy Harvin shouldn't be the template, though. Austin has potential to be a great route runner...which is something Harvin never developed into. Austin can separate vertically, which is something Harvin has never done consistently.

Harvin plays the slot because it best uses his skill-set. He doesn't have the right combination of skills to separate consistently outside and teams want to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Austin should play outside more often than not. He's more like DeSean Jackson than Harvin. The guy was a terror when lined up outside last year. He separates so well vertically, he's so explosive off the LOS and sudden that he's difficult to press, and he flashes the ability to run precise and crisp routes. Austin should be our Z WR while playing some snaps out of the back-field and the slot on occasion to give teams differing looks.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Well going by the stats he was more effective outside than in the slot - and it lets him utilize his blazing speed to take the top off the defence. I advocate moving him around - but my main point is that he'd be wasted as a "joker" slot guy.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Yeah. All the big time #1 WRs: Megatron, Dez, Green, Julio, etc. have never won a SB.

Actually the last time a team drafted a WR in the first round and won a SB with him was 2007. That was by the Colts and Reggie Wayne. And it had to help that he played with one of the greatest QBs ever.

And the last time a team won a SB with an OT drafted in high in the first round was last year with Okung and Seattle.