Blocking Aaron Donald in practice makes games 'easy' for Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Demoff is considered to be a smart money-man, but I also wonder if he is also a cheap-skate. It seems that whenever a contract for a player that the team needs to retain, we always get the "working on the contract" speil about this time. THEN, we get to the last year of the contract and the player is so pizzed at being jacked around, he becomes determined to test the market in free-agency, and then we are too cheap to overpay in a situation that could have been resolved in-house more than a year before. I could give a holy-cr@p about the money, because it's not mine and Stan freakin' Kroenke is one rich bastid. The one thing that has kept me a fan over the years are the great players I have loved..Jack Reynolds, Jack Youngblood, Nolan Cromwell, Merlin Olsen, and many others. THEY are players whoseplay inspired memories have sustained me in the dark times.

The new generation needs Aaron Donald. I could give a Mother-FYUKKE about the CAP! I will hate the team if they let a HOF player leave to become famous elsewhere....S CREW THAT!

Demoff is a very smart cap manager, Loyal.

But he's certainly no cheapskate.

Paying Tavon $10.5 million per is Exhibit A.

Paying TruJo $16.7 million is Exhibit B.

How much to pay a player is Demoff's final decision.

Which players are desired to keep is the HC's final decision.

One last thing. You would definitely give a Mother-FYUKKE if Demoff made a series of unwise decisions that put the Rams in cap hell. You would be crying like a baby, in fact. We've all been spoiled by Demoff's superb cap management.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

One last thing. You would definitely give a Mother-FYUKKE if Demoff made a series of unwise decisions that put the Rams in cap hell. You would be crying like a baby, in fact. We've all been spoiled by Demoff's superb cap management.
Which of those players will almost be a lock for the Hall of Fame? You totally ignored my point about retaining transcendent players like AD. Not finding a way to retain McCloud and Jenkins was a mistake, but losing Donald would be a catastrophe to me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well that's true & yes its hard to get recognition when your known mostly for being hurt but I believe things are looking up for Rodger myself. Rodger has spent most of his NFL career lining up @ either LT or RT posts. The rest of his time was he was involved in the flip flopping between RG to LG back to RG then back to RG. All thanks to Paul Boudreau & the Rams OL injury epidemic for a near decade. Since 2014 Rodger who has been paired up with the "GRob":shades:.

Rodger was able to play two full complete seasons in 2014 & 2016 playing Left OG next to GRob. Rodger was paired up with GRob @ LG during the 2015 season when he suffered the dislocated shoulder injury. Do you think having to pair up with a failed OL'er of GRob's would aid in improving your on field performance? Another example would be the situation that Boudreau put Rodger in early in OTA's all the pre Training camp activities, Training Camp & preseason Rodger was anointed the starting Right Tackle position. Rodger spent the entire time getting ready to be the starting RT for the 2016 team...then what does Boudreau do? The first week of regular season he packs up Rodger & inserts him back @ LG next to GRob to assume the actual game time field duties of supervising the dim watt light bulb @ LT. Yes I 'll bet that is sure to make Rodger a well prepared OL'er for the LG position, sure helps him out that's the way to start a season. Why did Rodger even go through all that prep work & effort @ RT to get jerked elsewhere:huh:! Who does this type of thing?

I would think that Rodger is :yay:to have a chance to work with/between two well seasoned & very smart OL'ers who need No help from Rodger. Rodger has 80 NFL starts, Whitwoth has 164 & Sullivan has 94.If Rodger can remain healthy this season its a good chance he will earn some of the same type of accommodations Rodger receive @ the end of the 2010 season when he was the best rookie LT in the NFL.

Yep. When Saffold has been next to other vets, be it Jake Long or... can't remember the other guy who filled in at LT, he was MUCH better. He's not at the caliber that he's going to lift up a line. But on a competent OL? yeah, he definitely can be a very good interior lineman.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Which of those players will almost be a lock for the Hall of Fame? You totally ignored my point about retaining transcendent players like AD. Not finding a way to retain McCloud and Jenkins was a mistake, but losing Donald would be a catastrophe to me.

You ignored MY biggest point, Loyal.

Demoff manages the cap.

He signs the players that his HC says are really necessary. Within reason, of course.

JJ turns out to have been a mistake. It happens.

McLeod? Can't sign every player every year, man. Don't recall Fisher pounding the table for McLeod, anyway.

AD will be signed at some point. Unless he's demanding some insane contract, that is. In which case we still have him for 4 more seasons, anyway.

Tavon and TruJo were damned sure not cheapskated. They were signed (and overpaid) because Fisher wanted both guys. Period.

Demoff spends right up to the cap every year. How, then, do you call him a cheapskate?

C'mon, man...

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
JJ was a huge mistake, even at the time. He was not injury prone. I would have signed Tru and Tagged JJ. If JJ got a better offer we would have gotten a #1 or two #1's for him. If JJ chose to sit, we would still own his rights.... I thought it was a mistake then, and we all know now it definitely was.

Tru's 1 year contract is killing the opportunity to extend AD, and that is a bad place to be.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You ignored MY biggest point, Loyal.

Demoff manages the cap.

He signs the players that his HC says are really necessary. Within reason, of course.

JJ turns out to have been a mistake. It happens.

McLeod? Can't sign every player every year, man. Don't recall Fisher pounding the table for McLeod.

AD will be signed at some point. Unless he's demanding some insane contract, that is. In which case we still have him for 4 more seasons, anyway.

Tavon and TruJo were damned sure not cheapskated. They were signed (and overpaid) because Fisher wanted both guys. Period.
Ok, so we both are ignoring main points. I make no pretense in being a "Cap-ologist," and do not care to act like one. We have been enduring, except for about 4 years, cr@p football since 1989. Demoff seems to manage money and lose players that they announce "we are working on a deal" two years in advance..I am protesting the cycle of loss that Donald seems to be on (couple of years earlier, of course), like others before him. Donald has outplayed his contract and no one can dispute that, so make the man happy and into a long term Ram.

Ram65

Legend
Demoff's a damn wizard with the cap. I think space probably isn't too big a hurdle. What it will do is keep him from doing the frontloaded deals he prefers, though, and in Donald's case I'm good with that. I trust that Aaron is not a guy who will quit once he's paid well. Dude has too much pride to pull that stunt, so a long term deal with a real big bonus spread out over time, sure man get it done.

Just don't handcuff the team long term. If he insists on being the most paid guy every single season, well, hopefully the Rams will tell him to play this season and that they'll trade him next offseason.

Donald will work hard after a big contract I'm sure.

I know Demoff can create money by shifting salary to bonuses. I'm not sure he would do that this year. He will have to do that for the rookies and to have money for in season moves. I'm not sure he would/will have the money for Donald without some kind of big move like a Barron trade. We will see.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Saffold between Whitt and Sulley should make his play shine for a change. AD will get paid but I hope he shows that he is a team first kind of guy and doesn't blow the cap for the team. Tru should do the same and I think players like Tavon should be willing to take a small cut to help out. If you see all these things happen, I think you see the cohesion start to form that brings championships.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
nothing is easy for Saffold. he was horrible last year so how can he even say that

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am getting a little tired of worrying about Saffold staying healthy every year! Just saying. I don't no how much longer he'll be a starter!

It depends on how well he plays. I actually was down Roger Saffold last season. Right now I think he can play at a All-Pro level. Listening to the Legends from the offensive lines if the past. Makes me think this will be a special year.
To each his own. I really like Roger playing in between the 2 new veterans. I'm guess Jared Goff must feel the same way.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

My biggest question during the Fisher years was we know he had roster control but how much influence did he have on the amount players were given with 2nd contracts. Did he suggest to KD hey we'll have to pay him like player X over on that other team or did he just leave it up to KD and his team to decide. Always wondered that issue.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My biggest question during the Fisher years was we know he had roster control but how much influence did he have on the amount players were given with 2nd contracts. Did he suggest to KD hey we'll have to pay him like player X over on that other team or did he just leave it up to KD and his team to decide. Always wondered that issue.

Unknowable, OldSchool.

Just glad Fisher is gone, tbh.

As to the decision making when it comes down to extending players? One can keep some, but no team can afford to keep all. Cap rules just make that impossible.

Makes for some crucial decision making. Some players and their agents make it impossible to retain them. I thought JJ did that to the Rams last year.

Turned out that he and his agent had a better handle on his value than the Rams did.