Blocking Aaron Donald in practice makes games 'easy' for Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...-practice-makes-games-easy-for-rodger-saffold

Blocking Aaron Donald in practice makes games 'easy' for Rodger Saffold

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Rodger Saffold has spent the vast majority of his past three seasons as a guard for the Los Angeles Rams, which means he has spent a lot of time -- too much time -- matching up in practice against Aaron Donald, indisputably the game's best interior defensive lineman.

Donald has been absent from the Rams' voluntary organized team activities while his representatives negotiate a potential extension.

Saffold, solidified as the starting left guard, has missed blocking him, believe it or not.

"Let me tell you something -- my man AD, man, he knows how to go," Saffold said after OTAs on Tuesday. "Obviously, I’ve seen some crazy things out of him over the last three years, but I love going against him. It makes everything else easier through the season. I love it."

Donald compiled 28 sacks from 2014 to '16, the most by a defensive tackle during that stretch. In each of the past two seasons, Pro Football Focus graded him the game's best defensive player, regardless of position. Last season, he led the NFL with 31 quarterback hits and was tied for first with 17 tackles for loss. Donald has made the Pro Bowl in all three of his NFL seasons, and in the days leading up to most of his games, Saffold has been the one trying to keep him in check.

"He makes you want to do your technique better," said Saffold, by far the Rams' best offensive lineman last season. "You’re not as loose. You want to get your feet down, you want to make sure that you get your hand placement right. The thing that I like most is that because he makes so many different moves, if one move doesn’t work, he goes to the next one, and the next one, and the next one. It helps me move my feet. It helps me re-fit my hands. And then when I get to the game, it’s easy."

Donald -- joined on the absentee list by franchise cornerback Trumaine Johnson earlier this week -- won't get fined until he misses the three-day veteran minicamp June 13-15, a three-day stretch that would cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000. He could then be fined about $40,000 for each day he skips during training camp, which doesn't start until late July.

Rams general manager Les Snead said last week he is "very hopeful" the two sides will figure something out. But these things can get complicated when the player is that good and still has two years left before being eligible for free agency.

Saffold said he has "a lot of trust" that Donald will do the right thing and show up ready, whenever that is.

"We have to continue to focus on getting better as a team," Saffold said. "Once he gets back here, we’re going to lift him up and he’s going to be right there with us as soon as he gets back. Let those other people figure that stuff out; we have to work on this."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I understand that the agents pull the strings and this is how it is done. But, I don't like it. Donald is under contract right now. Negotiate but still come to practice. Ditto for Tru. There is no reason they cant come to practice and does it really send a message to the GM that he better get moving on the new contract?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams general manager Les Snead said last week he is "very hopeful" the two sides will figure something out. But these things can get complicated when the player is that good and still has two years left before being eligible for free agency.
Normally after reading this^ type of thing about a Player I would say " TWO years left before he can be a free agent!?! To hell with giving him a New Contract!!"
BUT Donald is a Very, Very Special Player, and IF we don't give Him a New Contract NOW, in two years we may not be able to afford what he might cost!! " I'll bet No one disagrees with me on this point!!(y):boxing:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's not complicated at all. Stop being cheap. You know it's gonna cost money to keep him. Can't expect the best defensive player in the league to keep playing on his rookie contract. Can't believe it's come to this.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well that accounts for all those All Pro teams Saffold has as made.
Well that's true & yes its hard to get recognition when your known mostly for being hurt but I believe things are looking up for Rodger myself. Rodger has spent most of his NFL career lining up @ either LT or RT posts. The rest of his time was he was involved in the flip flopping between RG to LG back to RG then back to RG. All thanks to Paul Boudreau & the Rams OL injury epidemic for a near decade. Since 2014 Rodger who has been paired up with the "GRob":shades:.

Rodger was able to play two full complete seasons in 2014 & 2016 playing Left OG next to GRob. Rodger was paired up with GRob @ LG during the 2015 season when he suffered the dislocated shoulder injury. Do you think having to pair up with a failed OL'er of GRob's would aid in improving your on field performance? Another example would be the situation that Boudreau put Rodger in early in OTA's all the pre Training camp activities, Training Camp & preseason Rodger was anointed the starting Right Tackle position. Rodger spent the entire time getting ready to be the starting RT for the 2016 team...then what does Boudreau do? The first week of regular season he packs up Rodger & inserts him back @ LG next to GRob to assume the actual game time field duties of supervising the dim watt light bulb @ LT. Yes I 'll bet that is sure to make Rodger a well prepared OL'er for the LG position, sure helps him out that's the way to start a season. Why did Rodger even go through all that prep work & effort @ RT to get jerked elsewhere:huh:! Who does this type of thing?

I would think that Rodger is :yay:to have a chance to work with/between two well seasoned & very smart OL'ers who need No help from Rodger. Rodger has 80 NFL starts, Whitwoth has 164 & Sullivan has 94.If Rodger can remain healthy this season its a good chance he will earn some of the same type of accommodations Rodger receive @ the end of the 2010 season when he was the best rookie LT in the NFL.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Normally after reading this^ type of thing about a Player I would say " TWO years left before he can be a free agent!?! To hell with giving him a New Contract!!"
BUT Donald is a Very, Very Special Player, and IF we don't give Him a New Contract NOW, in two years we may not be able to afford what he might cost!! " I'll bet No one disagrees with me on this point!!(y):boxing:

A very good point! Another thing is the Rams can plan their spending better for resigning guys like Tree and bringing in FA's if they have the known cost of their best player and the biggest contract on the books. Plus most of the guaranteed money is usually slotted for the early part of the contract. Donald is already 26 so I hope they can get him signed to a 5-6 year contract too and have him fully locked up for his prime years.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Iron Sharpens iron!

In 2013 when Quinn had his best season he went up against a healthy Jake long every day in practice. Many People want to call Jake Long's tenure with the Rams a failure but I do not, iIt was just bad luck with the knee injury. IMO the 2013 O-line was the best one the Rams had in Fisher's five years. Imagine what Gurley could have done behind that line. 2013 was also probably Saffold's most effective year as a Ram too.

jap

Legend

It is very similar to the former situation with Eric Dickerson. The guy ran for 1808 yards his rookie season---still the NFL single season rushing record for rookie RBs. Then, for an encore, he goes 2105 his sophomore campaign---the NFL single season rushing standard. How can you not believe he had grossly outplayed his rookie contract and more than deserved a new one?

Similarly, Aaron has been dominant from his rookie campaign. Only a healthy Robert Quinn trounces him as the team's top pass rusher and that Quinn has been AWOL for a few seasons now. I would so love! to see a healthy Aaron and The Mighty One wreaking sheer havoc with offensive game plans on a weekly basis.

Show him the damn money!!!

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

They should have done something with Tru & JJ . They messed up real bad on Rodney McCloud. Could have signed him long term on the cheap. I think this coaching staff will do a much better job at this.

--Tavon ???
I think putting Jamon Brown at RT makes Greg Robinson work that much hard.
---Listen to Tory Holts interview which was cool to see him saying he is a Rams fan. The thing he said about players was was interesting, but did he slip when he said Robinson is playing guard ???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams had a lot of one year deals. I like the veterans brought in. I also think players work harder on a contract year.

Tru is not cheap. Quinn & Saffold are getting paid real well.
I am getting a little tired of worrying about Saffold staying healthy every year! Just saying. I don't no how much longer he'll be a starter!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I think putting Jamon Brown at RT makes Greg Robinson work that much hard.
---Listen to Tory Holts interview which was cool to see him saying he is a Rams fan. The thing he said about players was was interesting, but did he slip when he said Robinson is playing guard ???
Greg Robinson not smart enough to play guard "not the Sharpest Tool In The Shed"

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

It's not complicated at all. Stop being cheap. You know it's gonna cost money to keep him. Can't expect the best defensive player in the league to keep playing on his rookie contract. Can't believe it's come to this.

I want them to pay the dude and make him happy. But it is complicated.

DT, even as good as Donald is, is not a position that makes major impact on wins/losses. So the organization has to find a way to make him happy and do right by him 2 years early, recognizing his greatness, without handcuffing the team. So yeah I can see why this thing is dragging out a bit.

And even at QB, where you want to have greatness, it can hurt a team long term to break the bank. This is why I have so much respect for Tom Brady. He is about team first. We not Me, basically. So there is that chance IF our superstar DT can't meet with the team somewhere on compensation, that they have no other choice than to move him. IMO the health of the team comes first and tough decisions need to be made sometimes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and re: Trumaine... I think the Rams would prefer to move him since he is not a proven elite player like AD, but as observed by others here he probably submarined those efforts to stay in LA.

It irks me that both of those guys are missing, but Tru in particular has zero reason to pull that stunt as he is being very well compensated for the second consecutive year in spite of average play.

Ram65

Legend
I just saw a article....or was it a show??? Well, we have the least amount of cap room at the moment. Like $2 million....so I don't know how we'll sign even our rookies. LOLOLOL

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

Good question. Without a number one pick it looks like the draft class will cost less than 1 Million more than the salaries they will be replacing. The last players on the 51 count cap hit is 540K, Everett is estimated to count just under 1.1 Million. At the bottom of the link it has the projected rookie cap hits.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/cap/

It's approx 1.775 Million now. Add about 800K for rookies and the Rams are still over by 2.575 or so. They can shift money around to signing bonus to get lower but, they don't have money for Donald. If they can sign TruJo to long term deal then the would have plenty of money to get Donald signed. It's crazy.

They better get things done sooner. Can't screw up a Donald deal. I think Donald should be at OTAs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's approx 1.775 Million now. Add about 800K for rookies and the Rams are still over by 2.575 or so. They can shift money around to signing bonus to get lower but, they don't have money for Donald. If they can sign TruJo to long term deal then the would have plenty of money to get Donald signed. It's crazy.

Demoff's a damn wizard with the cap. I think space probably isn't too big a hurdle. What it will do is keep him from doing the frontloaded deals he prefers, though, and in Donald's case I'm good with that. I trust that Aaron is not a guy who will quit once he's paid well. Dude has too much pride to pull that stunt, so a long term deal with a real big bonus spread out over time, sure man get it done.

Just don't handcuff the team long term. If he insists on being the most paid guy every single season, well, hopefully the Rams will tell him to play this season and that they'll trade him next offseason.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It would be a real mess if the Trumaine Johnson major $$$ cap hit situation prevents the Rams to do right with Aaron Donald, thus damage his relationship with this Ram team into the future.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demoff is considered to be a smart money-man, but I also wonder if he is also a cheap-skate. It seems that whenever a contract for a player that the team needs to retain, we always get the "working on the contract" speil about this time. THEN, we get to the last year of the contract and the player is so pizzed at being jacked around, he becomes determined to test the market in free-agency, and then we are too cheap to overpay in a situation that could have been resolved in-house more than a year before. I could give a holy-cr@p about the money, because it's not mine and Stan freakin' Kroenke is one rich bastid. The one thing that has kept me a fan over the years are the great players I have loved..Jack Reynolds, Jack Youngblood, Nolan Cromwell, Merlin Olsen, and many others. THEY are players whoseplay inspired memories have sustained me in the dark times.

The new generation needs Aaron Donald. I could give a Mother-FYUKKE about the CAP! I will hate the team if they let a HOF player leave to become famous elsewhere....S CREW THAT!

Last edited: