Blame for Rams' abysmal offense starts with coach Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Blame for Rams' abysmal offense starts with coach Jeff Fisher
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...abysmal-offense-starts-with-coach-jeff-fisher

BALTIMORE -- Whether it's Nick Foles, Case Keenum, Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens or any other quarterback the St. Louis Rams have trotted out since coach Jeff Fisher took over in 2012, the offense hasn't gotten better.

And it's not just the quarterbacks. It's an offensive line that only got the appropriate attention in the draft this year and a group of pass-catchers that hasn't showed much improvement and infrequently combines the ability to get open with actually catching the ball.

After Sunday's ugly 16-13 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, the Rams again found themselves wondering when, if ever, the offense will raise its level from the dregs of the NFL to something closer to middling.

"This can't be happening every week," cornerback Janoris Jenkins said. "Defense, we are playing great ball, man. All we are asking for is a little bit of help. We can't just keep losing like this."

On the contrary, with Fisher at the helm, it sure looks like the Rams can keep losing games like they did on Sunday. After all, it's Fisher who built this roster on the hope that a dominant defense would trump all, even if the offense was lagging far behind.

It's a recipe that elevated the Rams from NFL bottom-feeders to approaching the mediocre mark that has permeated Fisher's two-decade career as a head coach in the league. It's also a formula that doesn't look anywhere close to getting the Rams to the next level.

The latest abysmal offensive performance came against a Ravens defense that entered the game 20th in yards allowed per game. Matched up against the Rams' offense, you would have thought the Ravens were lining up with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in their prime.

In his first start as a Ram, Keenum was 12-of-26 for 136 yards with a touchdown and a fumble, hardly the spark the Rams hoped he would provide when switching from Foles earlier in the week.

The Rams finished with 213 total yards and four turnovers, both tied for their worst outputs of the season. That such an outing could happen in Weeks 2 and 5 isn't OK but a bit more understandable than one that would combine the two in Week 11.

Remember, this was an offense that was supposed to coalesce as the season went on as it integrated a new quarterback, offensive coordinator, running back and offensive linemen.

Through 10 games, the Rams are 31st in yards per game, yards per passing attempt and first downs. They're last in passing yards per game and third-down conversion percentage.

"I think we are kind of stagnant," tight end Jared Cook said. "But that's nobody's fault but ours. It's nobody's fault but ours. The guys that are in this room right now, it's our fault."

While there's truth in that, there's also plenty of blame to land at the feet of those making the decisions, namely Fisher and general manager Les Snead.

Despite outside pressure to add veteran help on the offensive line, the Rams decided to use five draft picks on the position. Perhaps not so coincidentally, the one veteran the Rams did add, Garrett Reynolds, is probably playing the best of the starting five.

That Rams offensive line has been besieged by injuries, playing Sunday's game without starters Rodger Saffold, Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein and then losing fourth-round pick Andrew Donnal to a knee injury during the game.

"I think we are just kind of at a standstill right now," tight end Lance Kendricks said. "It's tough when you've got the O-line kind of shifting players around. You need steadiness on the O-line to really get the offense going. We are kind of shifting guys around, and they're young guys too. It's hard to kind of point the finger at them."

The Rams spent their first seven picks of the 2015 draft on offense, a dedication to that side of the ball previously absent in the Fisher regime. While a youth movement on the offense was needed, it also probably came about three years too late to make Fisher's preferred ground-and-pound philosophy work, if it was ever going to.

The same can be said of addressing the situation at quarterback, where the Rams are still without a long-term option, and the short-term ones are far from appealing despite having a plethora of extra draft picks from the Robert Griffin III trade with Washington. Or making a play for a No. 1 receiver who can consistently get open and make plays on contested balls.

Asked if he felt like he waited too long to give due attention to building the offense, Fisher demurred.

"No, I thought I made a good decision this offseason," Fisher said. "We've got good coaches, good players; we're just not scoring the points and converting third downs right now. Until we do that, we're not going to win a whole lot of games. That has to change."

More than three-and-a-half seasons into Fisher's tenure, that change doesn't seem to be close to happening. And any question of how it will change is mostly met with more wishing and hoping than actual solutions.

Even with rookie running back Todd Gurley as the foundation, the Rams don't have enough firepower to maximize his ability. They now sit at 4-6 and are staring another lost season square in the face.

That falls on Fisher and his coaching staff. Most likely, Fisher's job isn't in danger, as he has another year left on his contract and owner Stan Kroenke is more focused on changing the team's address than changing its coach.

"Our frustration is very high, because there's days that we come out there and we look like one of the best offenses in the league, and there's times that we don't," receiver Kenny Britt said.

There's a name for the times that they don't: Sundays. And until sweeping changes are made, the Rams will continue to get the same results.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just a feeling I've gotten since Fisher arrived... but it always felt like he was kind of dismissive of the local media.

Now that he's struggling, that may come back to haunt him... these guys are taking the gloves off now.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
All NFL teams who have barely average to below average QBs are going to be the teams who only play 16 games. Our biggest problem on offense is that we don't have a stud QB.

Injuries on the O-Line don't help, but they are part of the game. Fish and Co did their best to fill the stables there.

Wagoner writes this as if Fish and Co passed on franchise QBs and #1 WRs. That's fucking total bullshit. Name these players who Fish and Co should have obviously picked up.

#Hindsight..can...kiss...my...ass

FRO

Legend
All NFL teams who have barely average to below average QBs are going to be the teams who only play 16 games. Our biggest problem on offense is that we don't have a stud QB.

Injuries on the O-Line don't help, but they are part of the game. Fish and Co did their best to fill the stables there.

Wagoner writes this as if Fish and Co passed on franchise QBs and #1 WRs. That's freaking total bullcrap. Name these players who Fish and Co should have obviously picked up.

#Hindsight..can...kiss...my...ass
I grant you QB, but at WR there were better players picked after Quick and Austin. The point is also valid about not using picks in the first three rounds until 2014. Fisher and Snead are to blame for not fixing the offense. I like both of them a lot, but it's a bottom line business and the offense still sucks.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I grant you QB, but at WR there were better players picked after Quick and Austin. The point is also valid about not using picks in the first three rounds until 2014. Fisher and Snead are to blame for not fixing the offense. I like both of them a lot, but it's a bottom line business and the offense still sucks.

So,,, they didn't build a dominant defense???

I see a fucking dominant defense out there. That shit just doesn't happen on accident.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I'm not gonna pile on here with Fish any more than I have in other posts, because clearly it's on him as the one in charge. But there are some players who should feel terrible at this point too, particularly guys like Britt and Cook who Fish brought in and gave every effing opportunity to, guys who have talent but for some reason cannot deliver the consistency that would have helped to avoid this mess.

Still just sick over the whole thing tbh, because as much as Fish is to blame I love the guy as our coach and really wanted to see him succeed. I'm even thinking about not watching the remainder of the schedule. Sad days man.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"Our frustration is very high, because there's days that we come out there and we look like one of the best offenses in the league, and there's times that we don't," receiver Kenny Britt said.

There's a name for the times that they don't: Sundays. And until sweeping changes are made, the Rams will continue to get the same results.
Made me laugh here....Good one by Nick.....

FRO

Legend
So,,, they didn't build a dominant defense???

I see a freaking dominant defense out there. That crap just doesn't happen on accident.
Nobody is complaining about the defense. They have done a fantastic job on that side of the ball adding great talent. The have flunked on the offensive side of the ball. It's year 4 and we still aren't winning games. Bottom line. Does Fisher hamstring Snead when it comes to acquiring offensive players? Can Snead not identify offensive players? Does Fisher have all the say when it comes to drafting and Snead does the leg work for him? I don't know the answer, but we are in year 4 and our offense is worse than it was in year one and some high picks were used on the offense. We have one big time game changer in Gurley. A nice gadget guy in Austin. Outside of that we have a bunch of below average guys out there. Someone is to blame for putting the talent on offense together. Someone needs to be held accountable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wagoner writes this as if Fish and Co passed on franchise QBs and #1 WRs. That's freaking total bullcrap. Name these players who Fish and Co should have obviously picked up.

To be fair the Raiders found their QB of the future at 36 overall. In that draft they took Donald who looks like a future Hall of Famer at this point, but they also took Robinson who looks like an OG taken at 2 overall at this juncture.

I'm with you on hindsight of course, but the criticism is still fair. Fisher at that point in time should have prioritized QB instead of doggedly going all in on Bradford. He probably was worried about Sam having hurt feelings or ensuring there is no QB controversy as he was quoted on many times, I don't know. But it was a mistake

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Signing Jake Long wasn't an attempt to help the O line? Re-signing Saffold who EVERYONE wanted back in StL wasn't addressing the O line? Keeping a veteran center Wells (he might not have performed as they would have liked) was an attempt. Rok Watkins, etc etc etc. There were limited resources along with the fact that the franchise has been a bottom feeder for over a decade, that's where all the frontline players want to go right?

Just how many draft picks did Wagner think they had versus how many pieces of trash were here to be discarded?

And WTF is Jenkins doing in the media again? Keep your damn mouth shut JJ. Maybe if you had made a few more tackles instead of bouncing off little a biatch they would not have scored at all.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rok Watkins

Tell me you're kidding bringing up Watkins as an example of how they addressed the Oline... :LOL:

Long was a gamble (health)... Wells was a gamble (health)...

I'm not gonna go back and try to see who else was out there... but they clearly made some bad decisions that one could reasonably anticipate (injuries with older guys who were already coming off injuries... kinda like sticking with Bradford after that first ACL tear).

Got to face it, they've made bad decisions when it's come to the offense (QB, Oline, TEs and WRs). There just isn't much talent out there right now and that's because of bad decisions.

I don't see how you can dispute that.

Defense? STs? Well done!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Tell me you're kidding bringing up Watkins as an example of how they addressed the Oline... :LOL:

He was an attempt at the very beginning with limited resources and could have turned in to a legit NFL player with the right work ethic, so yes he was a legitimate pick in an attempt to shore up the POS roster that was in place. I get that you can laugh because of hindsight but that does not mean they were not trying to fix it from the beginning.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
And WTF is Jenkins doing in the media again? Keep your damn mouth shut JJ. Maybe if you had made a few more tackles instead of bouncing off little a biatch they would not have scored at all.
I've seen a lot of things used to absolve our offense of it's woes, but this has got to be the craziest.

But yeah man, seriously, fuck you JJ for saying the same thing we all are thinking. What a jerk am I right?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

When I saw that I thought he was was out of line. As good as the defense can be, they sure didn't step up in an important game against a beatable bears team. The season was salvageable at that time and they needed a good effort from the strength of the team, the defense. But they stunk up the joint every bit as much as the offense did.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've seen a lot of things used to absolve our offense of it's woes, but this has got to be the craziest.

But yeah man, seriously, freak you JJ for saying the same thing we all are thinking. What a jerk am I right?
Its not the same for a team mate to say it. If you don't get that I'll presume you never played a team sport.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that you can laugh because of hindsight but that does not mean they were not trying to fix it from the beginning.

Taking an OG in round 5, when you have more holes than pieces in your team, wasn't draft heresy, the pick didn't pan out - it happens.

With Long's injury history, that was a gamble. It didn't pay off. That happens.

With hindsight, they started drafting OL too late, but turning back the clock wasn't an option, and it's better late than never.
I've been seeing a lot of these types of comments this week...

Not picking on anyone (just using these quotes as examples), but, after a while comments like "things happen" and "they tried" add up in my mind to "they just didn't get the job done". Nothing personal.

After four years, these cease to be isolated incidents and start to sound like they just weren't very good at making sound decisions. I do think they gambled more than they should have:
* Gambled on older players with prior injury histories (Long, Wells, Saffold)
* Gambled with "projects" in higher rounds of the draft (Robinson).

I seem to recall Snead and Fisher referred to as "river boat gamblers" in the early years. As a general rule, they appeared to local and national media as "the smartest guys in the room". They were building a reputation as smart, shrewd football guys.

But, sometimes things aren't as they appear - ask the guys from Enron. ;)

I sincerely hope changes come... important changes.

Fisher and Snead have done a lot of things right... perhaps just not enough of them... we'll see.

Go Rams!!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Its not the same for a team mate to say it. If you don't get that I'll presume you never played a team sport.
I have, and I don't know where you're coming from at all, teammates hold teammates accountable all the damn time. This just makes me assume you haven't, or that you read the article fully because Cook says about the same that it's everyone on the offense's fault, and Chris Long tweeting about how he was disgusted by the loss.

But I'm going to go ahead and guess even then JJ just didn't do it the right way or something cheesy like that.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have, and I don't know where you're coming from at all, teammates hold teammates accountable all the damn time. This just makes me assume you haven't, or that you read the article fully because Cook says about the same that it's everyone on the offense's fault, and Chris Long tweeting about how he was disgusted by the loss.

But I'm going to go ahead and guess even then JJ just didn't do it the right way or something cheesy like that.
You hold each other accountable in the locker room not the media. JJ is just pissing in the wind and he's got no room. He might be promoting himself but he isn't playing all that great. He got beaten by Givens the guy who could not play for the Rams and missed several tackles. You want to talk do it behind closed doors not in public.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Wells was coming off a Probowl year and had never been injured. So let's take that out of this whole gambler's mentality thing. They made moves to try to improve the O-line. They bought into that Bradford would come back. Let's face it. When you watch him throw as compared to what else we have or MOST who have come into the league, it is easy to see why you would want that arm under center. Long was a gamble and to some extent so was Saffold. Rok Watkins was projected as a big bodied mauler inside. In the 5th round, he was a decent pick if he had the work ethic to be good.

The problem is that you can go piece meal or you can go all in on an area of the team. We pretty much went all in on defensive units and then tried to complete the process by going mostly all in on offense last season. It hasn't panned out. Foles is no where near what we expected. The young O-line has been a work in progress and fallen victim to injuries. Cook has been largely disappointing in that he appears to have all the talent in the world.

And with all of this, the buck does stop with Fisher. It has not worked out to his plan. Does this mean we move on from him? I dunno. I would like to see an end to the coaching carousel and personally, like this team better than anything we have had in years. Is it frustrating? You bet your ass. Maybe even more so because I look at the pieces and know we should be winning more games.

I just don't buy into the idea that Fish has somehow ignored areas of the team. He made decisions that haven't worked out. I will support him as long as he is our coach and I will hope that we pull out of it. If he is replaced, I will support that guy. It's just the way I'm wired.