Blake Countess won’t be suspended but gets massive fine instead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
That's Good....Wade needs safety Blake Countess going into the playoffs. I thought that BC had one of his better gms this season playing & starting @ safety. JJ III, Isaiah Johnson & Cody Davis also played in this loss.

Guess Blake Countess thought he needed to fill the void since Marqui Christian who was our biggest hitter @ safety went to the IR. Cody Davis looked a bit rusty & timid in his part time play last Sunday but it was nice to get him back in action & get warmed back up to full speed.

Rams will have four of this 2017 seasons safeties returning to the Rams in 2018 & beyond they are listed below:
#1- Isaiah Johnson 6-1/207 25-3 has 10 NFL gms. under his belt.
#2- Blake Countess 5-10/185 24-2 has 21 gms. with 3 starts.
#3- Marqui Christian {IR} 5-10/200 23-2 has 23 gms. under his belt.
#4- John Johnson 6-1/204 22-R has 16 gms. with 11 starts.

This is a good overall safety cadre position to be in for Snead & McVay after this season concludes & Blake Countess might have an opportunity to earn a starting post for Wade in 2018 if he turns it up here in the playoffs. I am sure BC fully knows this thus he is out there to be aggressive. BC did play very well late last season when Lamarcus Joyner was injured. Lamarcus Joyner & Cody Davis do not have Ram contracts after this season. Rams do not need to draft any more reserve safeties in 2018 but Snead needs to draft a future starter if possible like TJ McDonald or JJ III.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
they also don't care about CTE and neither does the Union.
I think it's a legal manuver....just to "appear" to be concerned...that way, no one can say they did NOTHING...while really doing nothing.
Disagree with me all you want but there isn't a damned thing I said that was inappropriate.
Ahaahahahahahahahahaha!:neener: He's one of MINE! :mrburnsevil: Get him, @OC--LeftCoast !!!!!:boxing::rolllaugh:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A play like that happens so fast that it's not the fault of either player. Goodwin ducked his head down at the last second and Countess followed through on the tackle. Neither one had time to make an adjustment which would have allowed that helmet-to-helmet collision not to happen.

There are times when dirty, vicious hits are obvious and should lead to penalties, fines, and suspensions. This was not one of those times.
Totally agree... it's the NFL's inconsistency that mucks up the whole issue.

Have them rule on 10 similar situations (play happens fast and the players actually cause the inappropriate contact) and you'll likely get 6 "no suspensions" and 4 "suspensions" and I'd hazard to guess that the players (popularity) involved have something to do with the final verdict.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Disagree with me all you want but there isn't a damned thing I said that was inappropriate.

There must be a mistake, I would never, ever rate a post from you inappropriate

If I did,let me know where and I’ll fix it

Edit, I see PT removed it

Isn’t that twice now, I’m at a loss for words

Last edited:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Not too long ago, that was just a football play... Today? Not so much.

The game, and particularly the rules, are changing. Players have to adapt. That was an old school hit in a new school game. Fans need to adapt as well. Back in the day, I would've applauded the hit and high-fived everybody within reach because it was legal. On Sunday, I knew instantly that flags would fly. I did not stand. I did not cheer. I sat quietly and hoped Goodwin would get up. Still, I was barraged by insults and BS "tough guy" speak from surrounding Whiners fans. These freaks would likely have been cheering their dumb asses off had the roles been reversed. It was mentioned, and then some.

It was a hospital ball thrown by Garappolo. It was a bad move made by Goodwin to duck. Countess was the closest to doing the right thing yet he is the villian and there are calls for his head on a platter. I guess in today's NFL, the "right thing" for Countess to do is allow the completion and try to punch the ball out with a hand while gently bringing Goodwin to the ground. Back in the day, we all knew what a catch was, what a fumble was, what a touchdown was, what a hit was... Now, everything is up for interpretation. Perhaps the game will evolve into something like a figure skating competition with judges... :banghead:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Bang-bang play... Goodwin's last move created the head-to-head.

If that was a Rams receiver and there was no suspension, we'd be all up in arms.

Seems we get some calls... and not others... mostly like the rest of the NFL.

I wouldn’t be.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There must be a mistake, I would never, ever rate a post from you inappropriate

If I did,let me know where and I’ll fix it

Edit, I see PT removed it

Isn’t that twice now, I’m at a loss for words

Don't worry about it, it happens.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Goodwin from my perspective clearly ducked into the hit

I didn’t feel it was cheap at the time and nothing I just watched in that video has changed my mind
Not too long ago, that was just a football play... Today? Not so much.

The game, and particularly the rules, are changing. Players have to adapt. That was an old school hit in a new school game. Fans need to adapt as well. Back in the day, I would've applauded the hit and high-fived everybody within reach because it was legal. On Sunday, I knew instantly that flags would fly. I did not stand. I did not cheer. I sat quietly and hoped Goodwin would get up. Still, I was barraged by insults and BS "tough guy" speak from surrounding Whiners fans. These freaks would likely have been cheering their dumb asses off had the roles been reversed. It was mentioned, and then some.

It was a hospital ball thrown by Garappolo. It was a bad move made by Goodwin to duck. Countess was the closest to doing the right thing yet he is the villian and there are calls for his head on a platter. I guess in today's NFL, the "right thing" for Countess to do is allow the completion and try to punch the ball out with a hand while gently bringing Goodwin to the ground. Back in the day, we all knew what a catch was, what a fumble was, what a touchdown was, what a hit was... Now, everything is up for interpretation. Perhaps the game will evolve into something like a figure skating competition with judges... :banghead:
funny how Ronnie Lott made it to the HOF with that exact type of hit

49r fans are such nimrods

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how JuJu got suspended for a hit just like this but it's ok for this one to happen to a star player like Julio Jones.

View: https://gfycat.com/SerpentineMerryBluemorphobutterfly

haha, are you for real? juju lined burfict up and used the crown of his helmet straight into burfict's facemask and knocked him the fuck out. the guy in that gif hit julio in the shoulder with his shoulder. they're not even remotely close.

Ram65

Legend
He should not have been suspended. No intent other then making a play as the Goodwin ducked his head late. Glad he looked ok leaving the field. It is a different NFL. Big hits of the 70s and 80s were like this much more often.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's clear the NFL not only has no idea wtf they're doing with suspensions but that they also don't care about CTE and neither does the Union.

Both sides care. They just care more about the money. And I agree that the NFL really doesn't know how to handle hard hits/suspensions, etc. They haven't even figured out when to call "roughing the passer". How many times have we seen QB's get touched on the helmet and draw a penalty? And now receivers are "defenseless? Good luck with that NFL.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
funny how Ronnie Lott made it to the HOF with that exact type of hit

49r fans are such nimrods
Yeah, no :poop: eh?

I wish it would've been "Fifi" Rice taking some horns in the grill instead of Goodwin. I hated when that SOB ran those little slants every freakin' game and nobody ever stepped into him and clean his clock!:banghead::banghead:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Yeah, no :poop: eh?

I wish it would've been "Fifi" Rice taking some horns in the grill instead of Goodwin. I hated when that SOB ran those little slants every freakin' game and nobody ever stepped into him and clean his clock!:banghead::banghead:
Yeah but Aeneas Williams sure took TO outta a game or 3, yep he most “Shirley” did

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Luckily for us Kevin Peterson looks really good.
Anybody know his contract status because we're going to need him next year.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Luckily for us Kevin Peterson looks really good.
Anybody know his contract status because we're going to need him next year.
Kevin Peterson will be involved in Free Agency in 2019 as a Restrictive Free Agent. KP signed a contract that will pay him $555K for the Ram 2018 season.

If Kevin Peterson continues to improve & grow on his recent start this past week, his future appears to be bright. KP was our best DB on the field last Sunday. KP should be a easy low economy contract in 2019 & tendered at the 2nd round range. Those RFA contracts usually go for 2 yrs. Projecting KP as a UFA in March of 2021.

If the Rams can not muster up & find enough cap cash to sign our two starting UFA corners (NR-C Trumaine Johnson) & our starting Safety & Nickle (Lamarcus Joyner) then Peterson will have a major role in the Rams secondary in 2018 & onward.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-gets-48620-fine-for-hit-on-marquise-goodwin/

Rams’ Blake Countess gets $48,620 fine for hit on Marquise Goodwin
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2018

900124626-e1515185712232.jpg

Getty Images

Rams safety Blake Countess got off without a suspension for his brutal hit on 49ers receiver Marquise Goodwin on Sunday, but he did get steep fine.

The NFL fined Countess $48,620 for the hit.

It’s the second time in five weeks that Countess has been hit with a fine for knocking a defenseless receiver out of a game, having previously done it to Saints tight end Coby Fleener. This time his fine was doubled from last time.

Countess makes a base salary of $540,000, which comes out to $31,765 a week. That means Countess was actually fined more than he got paid for the 49ers game, which means he’ll be able to have that fine reduced on appeal. Big fines for lower-paid players are typically reduced to 25 percent of a game check for a first offense, and 50 percent of a game check for a subsequent offense. So Countess will likely be fined about $15,882, or 50 percent of his game check, after his appeal.

The big question is, Why wasn’t Countess suspended? His illegal hits have now given concussions to two players in five weeks. He’s lucky the NFL is letting him play in the Rams’ playoff game tomorrow night.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big question is, Why wasn’t Countess suspended? His illegal hits have now given concussions to two players in five weeks.

Maybe because it wasn't illegal? It was two players colliding, one of which made a last second adjustment that resulted in an injury.

Looks like the NFL saw it that way too... hence, no suspension.

Any other stupid questions?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe because it wasn't illegal? It was two players colliding, one of which made a last second adjustment that resulted in an injury.

Looks like the NFL saw it that way too... hence, no suspension.

Any other stupid questions?

yeah, why was the fine so big? it was an unavoidable hit for countess. he was aiming for the ball and the wr ducked his head at the last second.