Blake Countess won’t be suspended but gets massive fine instead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ont-be-suspended-for-hit-on-marquise-goodwin/

Blake Countess won’t be suspended for hit on Marquise Goodwin
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on January 2, 2018

900124930-e1514885755131.jpg

Getty Images

Los Angeles Rams safety Blake Countess won’t be suspended for a hit on San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Marquise Goodwin that knocked Goodwin out of Sunday’s game in Los Angeles, according to Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwoDHjaj2z8

Goodwin was carted off the field after being down for several minutes after Countess delivered a blow to Goodwin’s head as Goodwin was unable to catch a slant pass from Jimmy Garoppolo late in the second quarter of the 49ers’ 34-13 victory. Goodwin appeared to reach down for the ball as it bounced off his hands and Countess blasted Goodwin right in the head.

The Rams were assessed for 15 yards for an unnecessary roughness penalty for a hit against a defenseless receiver.

Countess was a backup and special teams player throughout the season for the Rams, but was playing in Sunday’s finale as the team rested several key players for the postseason.
----------
Wait…inconsistency by the league office? In favor of a team heading to the playoffs? I can not believe it! Not in 2018!
---------
Looks like the Rams are the new NFL favorites. Got to make sure they keep winning to get LA fans engaged. Money over safety or integrity.
----------
Glad… It was a huge hit, but what was the alternative? Just allow Goodwin to make the catch? If anyone’s to blame, I’d put it at 50% Garropolo for that crap throw, and Goodwin for ducking down (he would have had the wind knocked out of him, but no concussion).

The defender did absolutely nothing wrong.
----------
Countess was coming in chest high to jar the ball loose, the receiver, unfortunately, ducked into the hit.

It wasn’t a head hunting job like Vontaze Burfict on Antonio Brown.
----------
That is the RIGHT call!!!

About time the NFL got it right.
---------
This guy did the same to New Orleans TE Coby Fleener earlier in the season. It is therefore unlikely to be an accident.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
And suddenly Garoppolo looks like a whiny douchebag. Man is he a great fit in SF or what.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And now... Blake Countess is in concussion protocol with Troy Hill. The idea was to avoid injuries.

But, I really do like a snot inducing car wreck of a hit. I’m hoping everyone gets better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's clear the NFL not only has no idea wtf they're doing with suspensions but that they also don't care about CTE and neither does the Union.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Goodwin from my perspective clearly ducked into the hit

I didn’t feel it was cheap at the time and nothing I just watched in that video has changed my mind

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And now... Blake Countess is in concussion protocol with Troy Hill. The idea was to avoid injuries.

But, I really do like a snot inducing car wreck of a hit. I’m hoping everyone gets better.
Troy Hill has already been cleared and Countess looks promising for Saturday.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It was a bad call, and this video proves it, and the NFL needs to have a meeting with the refs union.

Shit calls are getting worse every year and it seems like the only people that give a fuck are the players, coaches and fans.

If we can sit on a sofa and see this play as it happened and know it's not a penalty why can't the assholes who are right there on the field see it too?

This is a case of "that hit was too hard, throw a flag just in case".

Psycho_X

Legend
Good, was a bad throw and a dumb move by Goodwin that caused a concussion to himself and our player.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It was a bad call, and this video proves it, and the NFL needs to have a meeting with the refs union.

Yeah the truth is that if you lay a good stick on any offensive player now you'll almost surely draw a 15 yard penalty. Which is effin BS.

Once again though this comes back to the owners. They need to get ahead of this ref thing, with a combined approach of paying all the refs as full time employees with a heavy schedule of training even during the offseason. Then they need to get rid of automatic reviews and let the teams' two reviews do the job of reversing egregious errors. And lastly they need to change the review booth so there's no frame by frame super slo-mo review. Why? Because if it's that effin close the call on the field needs to stand.

Q729

Legend

I didn’t feel it was cheap at the time and nothing I just watched in that video has changed my mind
Same. At the time I was saying that Goodwin had ducked down into the hit.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I agree. The more I watch this the more I see no wrongdoing by Countess. He was going shoulder to chest area and Goodwin ducked down at the last second. Nothing Countess could do at that point. Legal hit, good hit, the guy was just doing his job.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bang-bang play... Goodwin's last move created the head-to-head.

If that was a Rams receiver and there was no suspension, we'd be all up in arms.

Seems we get some calls... and not others... mostly like the rest of the NFL.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Disagree with me all you want but there isn't a damned thing I said that was inappropriate.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You can’t throw into the teeth of the defense and expect them to pat you on the back while you run to the end zone.

The DBs job in that situation is to separate the receiver from the ball and jar it loose. He can’t anticipate the receiver drawing his head down as he hits him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A play like that happens so fast that it's not the fault of either player. Goodwin ducked his head down at the last second and Countess followed through on the tackle. Neither one had time to make an adjustment which would have allowed that helmet-to-helmet collision not to happen.

There are times when dirty, vicious hits are obvious and should lead to penalties, fines, and suspensions. This was not one of those times.