Blackout No More

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The blackout rules are no more. Games will be televised in local markets without having to sell out.

Per Jay Mohr sports.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The NFL is cutting some backroom deals for some reason.

My guess is thee are getting pressure about the Redskins name still and anti-trust.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I wonder if this applies to game pass as well for viewers outside the states. I have game pass but don't have the sports channel that shows nfl here and whichever game is on the tv is blacked out on game pass

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I wonder if this applies to game pass as well for viewers outside the states. I have game pass but don't have the sports channel that shows nfl here and whichever game is on the tv is blacked out on game pass

If you're talking about sunday ticket then I doubt that will be changed. Easy solution is to get a set of rabbit ears and use them to pick up local channels. I will almost guarantee you can get at least fox, cbs, and nbc over the air for free. All of the channels should be digital too so they're all HD.

Big Game

Living The Dream
The blackout rule has got to be one of the worst rules the NFL put into play. Glad to hear its been done away with, with HD TV's its unfair to let fans of the home team not be able to see them play if the game is not sold out or they don't have a "sports package" lol

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Interesting. That will definitely put downward pressure on ticket prices.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Interesting. That will definitely put downward pressure on ticket prices.

They've maxed them out IMO anyway and several teams lowered some ticket prices last year and this year. It runs about 500 bucks these days to take a family of 4 to a game and that's not great seats by any stretch of the imagination.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I undoubtedly believe this will make the NFL look to put more games on cable networks now.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They are moving to pay per view, you can take that to the bank.

They had better be very, very careful about doing that.

Boxing used to be much, much bigger in the US, even through the 1980's, as you could catch fights of up and coming contenders on free TV, and even championship fights sometimes. But in the 90's it started migrating to premium cable and pay-per-view. In the short term, a lot of guys made a lot of money, but in the long term the sport's popularity has suffered to the point that it's now on the margins. There are other issues to be sure, but the lack of exposure is certainly one of them.

If the NFL has the hubris to think they will be able to continue as they were for the long term by going to a PPV model and ditching free TV, they are going to be sorely mistaken.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They had better be very, very careful about doing that.

Boxing used to be much, much bigger in the US, even through the 1980's, as you could catch fights of up and coming contenders on free TV, and even championship fights sometimes. But in the 90's it started migrating to premium cable and pay-per-view. In the short term, a lot of guys made a lot of money, but in the long term the sport's popularity has suffered to the point that it's now on the margins. There are other issues to be sure, but the lack of exposure is certainly one of them.

If the NFL has the hubris to think they will be able to continue as they were for the long term by going to a PPV model and ditching free TV, they are going to be sorely mistaken.

They partially did it with Sunday Ticket so going to a system where you can buy one team for a smaller price seems like a logical step, then package regions or divisions along with all of the other features.

And it can be and likely will be done online, not broadcast.

This is the future.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
They partially did it with Sunday Ticket so going to a system where you can buy one team for a smaller price seems like a logical step, then package regions or divisions along with all of the other features.

And it can be and likely will be done online, not broadcast.

This is the future.

To be fair, if they go online and offer a reasonably priced package per team, I would consider paying for it, being a cord cutter and all. But it's going to depend on how the team is doing and whether they continue to get anally raped by bad officiating.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To be fair, if they go online and offer a reasonably priced package per team, I would consider paying for it, being a cord cutter and all. But it's going to depend on how the team is doing and whether they continue to get anally raped by bad officiating.

I can't see the NFL not going in this direction. It's the direction TV is going to eventually take IMO.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Considering that my market includes the bucs, jags, and dolphins... I have always been a big fan of the blackouts.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
So I guess the Rams won't have to buy thousands of tickets to make it look like a sellout anymore...