Blackmon only No. 1 receiver available in 2012 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Charley Casserly
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... -nfl-draft

j_blackmon_120316_WIDE.jpg

We have seen a run on wide receivers in the early stages of free agency. I believe there were two reasons for this:

1. It was the deepest position in free agency;
2. Outside of Justin Blackmon, the remaining wideouts in the 2012 NFL Draft are not viewed as true No. 1 receivers, but as good No. 2's.

Here is how I rate the top receivers in the draft after viewing tape on them:
Debate: Who's dropping the ball?
Wide receivers are certainly cashing in during free agency. But which deal will be the most regrettable? Let's debate! More ...

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State: Easily the best WR in the draft, a smooth athlete who is strong and physical in his routes. He has excellent hands. He shows the ability to make plays after the catch because of his strength. He doesn't play with the top speed or suddenness of elite receivers like Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson. I rated Dez Bryant higher on raw talent. Blackmon is a receiver who should be in the Nos. 5-10 range in the first round. One player he reminds me of is Michael Irvin. The ex-Cowboy Hall of Famer was a physical receiver who lacked the elite speed in college, but obviously became a great pro receiver.

2. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame: He is another big, physical receiver who has very good hands. He shows the ability to adjust and make the difficult catch. Has some quickness and strength as a runner. He has the ability to put his foot in the ground and make sharp cuts on routes. He ran a limited route tree in college and showed some stiffness in the routes he did run. He had trouble running away from tight coverage and didn't win on deep routes despite running a 4.43 at the combine. Catches the ball better than Dwayne Bowe, who was a late-first round pick. That is where I see Floyd's value as well.

3. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech: Boom or bust type. Ran fast at the combine (4.31) and shows big-time speed on tape when he is running a straight go route. When he has to run an out cut, he is not explosive off the ball the way he is when running the go route. In his workout at Georgia Tech, he showed the ability to be smooth in his routes. He seems to be improving in his ability to run routes based on his workout. His hands were inconsistent in the five games I watched. He dropped some balls, but I saw him make a great one-handed catch and show excellent concentration on a deep ball. For me, Hill is a hard guy to put into the first round off the tape. The workout at Georgia Tech was a first-round workout, though. If you believe in him, you take him in the first. At worst, he will be a second-round pick.

4. Kendall Wright, Baylor: I believe his best position will be as a slot receiver. He is quick off the ball and also quick in and out of his breaks. Despite his size, he was hard to press and would be even more effective from the slot or in motion in beating the press. He has some ability to make people miss after he catches the ball. He had a very limited route tree in college, but I don't see a route he can't run in the NFL. My two biggest issues in the six games I watched were his inconsistent hands and his lack of consistent separation on deep routes. In comparing him to other players taken late in the first round, I thought Santonio Holmes, Percy Harvin and Mark Clayton were better prospects. I see him as a very late first-rounder if you can reconcile his hands.

5. Rueben Randle, LSU: Another receiver with good size who is physical. He has very good hands. He shows some strength as a runner after the catch. He has good foot quickness in his routes and understands the concept of how to run a route to work the defender to get open. He is another receiver who has trouble defeating tight coverage. Doesn't show top-end speed. I thought Alabama's Dre Kirpatrick was able to cover him well in tight man coverage. I see Randle as a late first or early second round pick.

Follow Charley Casserly on Twitter @CharleyCasserly

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Is it just me or is WR the most difficult position to predict? How many WR have gone top 15 and never pan out? It seems like more of a crap shoot than many other positions: O line, RB, DB, etc. I saw someone put up which receivers were taken in the first round and where, and the ones picked from 15-32 overall, fared better than the ones picked earlier. Thinking of two of the greatest WR ever, Bruce and Jerry Rice were picked later in the draft. Obviously some of the great ones were picked in the top 6: Andre Johnson, Megatron, Larry Fitzgerald, Torry Holt, etc, but thinking of those that busted and who could have been taken instead, maybe it makes more sense to pass on a WR with our first pick and take a position which has a lower bust ratio.

I'm not saying the Rams shouldn't take Blackmon if they think he's going to be good, #1 type WR, and he's there when they pick. I'm just saying it seems like kind of a crap shoot, and with as many holes as this team has, why not trade back and try to get a receiver later?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
A Michael Irvin clone sounds fan-fucking-tastic to me.
Fur coat and all would be perfectly acceptable.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think Casserly was virtually spot on with all of his evaluations, according to what I saw of these guys. I wish he would have rated more guys that I didn't get a chance to see.

X, thumbs up for the countdown.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love Blackmon. I was hoping he'd come out last year. He's my favorite and a lot of people like to pick apart his game but you can't deny the consistent production. He's a Terrell Owens like receiver in my book.

That said; Floyd and Wright are seriously worth tossing into the debate. Two different receivers who could very well be the cream of the crop.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Stephen Hill has a very good shot to be a number one wideout. He might have more upside than any of the others and could possibly turn out to be the best in this class. He's got similar attributes to Johnson Jr. and Thomas (although both are more solidly built than Hill).

Wright is practically a bigger version of Desean Jackson, so he has a chance to succeed as well. I don't think he's going to run a 4.3, but his speed and agility in pads are undeniable. There were only three schools that held him under 100 yards last year: Mizzou, Iowa State, and Texas A&M.

Michael Floyd is right up there with Blackmon, in my opinion. His alcohol-related arrests have knocked him down a notch, but he's still a top ten pick in my eyes. He's been very consistent for Notre Dame - and unlike Jeffery, his production never dipped when his quarterbacks began to stink. To be honest, I think that he's a bonafide number one.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Memento said:
I think Stephen Hill has a very good shot to be a number one wideout. He might have more upside than any of the others and could possibly turn out to be the best in this class. He's got similar attributes to Johnson Jr. and Thomas (although both are more solidly built than Hill).

Wright is practically a bigger version of Desean Jackson, so he has a chance to succeed as well. I don't think he's going to run a 4.3, but his speed and agility in pads are undeniable. There were only three schools that held him under 100 yards last year: Mizzou, Iowa State, and Texas A&M.

Michael Floyd is right up there with Blackmon, in my opinion. His alcohol-related arrests have knocked him down a notch, but he's still a top ten pick in my eyes. He's been very consistent for Notre Dame - and unlike Jeffery, his production never dipped when his quarterbacks began to stink. To be honest, I think that he's a bonafide number one.
I'm not on that Stephen Hill bandwagon. His production in college was so ridiculously poor considering the talent level he played against and his own athleticism. I just don't buy any of his hype. If he did not run a fast 40 no one would have heard of him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
brokeu91 said:
Memento said:

I'm not on that Stephen Hill bandwagon. His production in college was so ridiculously poor considering the talent level he played against and his own athleticism. I just don't buy any of his hype. If he did not run a fast 40 no one would have heard of him.

Georgia Tech's offense is a triple-option that's built purely to run the ball. Wide receivers are an afterthought and rarely ever have plays called for them. The same thing happened with Demaryius Thomas; he rarely had plays called for him, but when they were, he made the most of them. Like Thomas, Hill made the most of his plays. He's a boom-bust player, yes, but the talent to be a number one wideout like his predecessors is there.