Black Monday Primer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm just saying that the whole "if X had happened" goes both ways.
If I had happened, this team would win the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, and KO Manny Pacquiao in the first round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I had happened, this team would win the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, and KO Manny Pacquiao in the first round.

You did happen. And we won a Super Bowl...and then we had a dry spell longer than Steve Carell in The 40 Year Old Virgin.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Our issue is with our optimism on players with clear red flags. Is that a Fisher / Snead thing, or is it par for putting together a winning team in the NFL?

I don't know if there is an answer to that question. I don't follow other teams closely enough to know how much risk vs. reward personnel moves they do.

There is a finite number of guys that have the physical and mental capability to play on this level. We seem to draft / sign high ceiling, low floor type guys.

It has not been working.... Especially without a viable option at QB.

We're better off with Fisher than we have been in a long time. That's an argument to keep him.

However, I can't help but wonder if keeping our current administration in tact is a response to the futility of past administrations or if it's because Fisher / Snead give us genuine reason for hope in 2016...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I do. :)

Processes things quickly, accurate thrower on short and intermediate routes, throws with touch, finds his checkdown quickly when deeper routes are covered, uses his eyes to move coverage, reads the blitz well and gets the ball out quickly to his hot read...etc.

Just has the right skill-set for our system.

You were right on Bridgewater and we should have drafted him. Unfortunately we didn't and now I don't see an above average starting QB on our horizon anytime soon. :(

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe.......but when you have a great collection of talent early on and it doesn't pay off soon enough...you're basically going to have to rebuild a ton.

Quinn has his deal and it is pretty good thankfully.

But pretty soon, you'll have new contracts coming up for Jenkins, Brockers, Quick, Tru J, GZ coming up after the 2015 season and the season after that, Austin, Ogletree, TJ, Studman.

Lotta pieces to have to re-sign and we're already out a 4th and 6th rounder this coming draft.

Fisher has to put some crap together next season or he may be out. Especially if he regresses the Rams to a 6-10 season. I mean...those other teams I listed, it took 3ish years for the turnaround.

Rams have been suffering since the remnants of the GSOT with not just bad seasons, but uncompetitive seasons. So many players on the Rams haven't even experienced winning in the NFL. I don't think that breeds killer instinct very well.

Something HAS to be done about QB though. And this regime has had the opportunity to have a solid plan B to Sam and wet the bed. I don't totally blame them for it, but at the same time....I blame em big time.

After reading about Snead and Fishers great plan to put all of their eggs in the defenses basket, o mimic great teams of the past, everything makes sense from an explanation standpoint. However none of it makes sense when considering the dismal state of the Oline and QB. I get what they were attempting to do, but to go all in at the expense of critical offensive pieces doesn't seem to be the best formula IMO.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Unfortunately, Bin adford looks like our best option. . you cover your ass in case he gets injured again. Unless we actually can move up for that red flagged QB...without a RGIII trade. ;)
I think what they do says a lot about how secure they feel in their jobs. I bellieve if they move Up for jw its a pretty good sign they are feeling the heat.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Our issue is with our optimism on players with clear red flags. Is that a Fisher / Snead thing, or is it par for putting together a winning team in the NFL?

I don't know if there is an answer to that question. I don't follow other teams closely enough to know how much risk vs. reward personnel moves they do.

There is a finite number of guys that have the physical and mental capability to play on this level. We seem to draft / sign high ceiling, low floor type guys.

It has not been working.... Especially without a viable option at QB.

We're better off with Fisher than we have been in a long time. That's an argument to keep him.

However, I can't help but wonder if keeping our current administration in tact is a response to the futility of past administrations or if it's because Fisher / Snead give us genuine reason for hope in 2016...
I think we're to a point now where we can take educated risks (IE still stay away from the guys for whom the red flags become big red sirens warning you to stay away from) as long as we do so in a way that lets us cut ties easily (for example, if Janoris Jenkins hadn't worked out, he was just a 2nd rounder and we had multiple 2nd rounders that year.) When Fisher came in, we already had high character locker room leaders in place.

The lack of QB options is a separate issue. I'd still like to see what we have in Bradford, but the position needed more attention than it got.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
You have to remember they took over a team that won 15 games in 5 years. They decided to build through the draft. That takes time. Fisher and Snead have assembled a young talented roster. We will see how next year goes, but for me it's a no brainer to bring Fisher back.
You have to admit ... the talent level is waaayy better, they are much more competitive than they were and the image is no more of being pansies. What is confounding is the melt downs at time. Is it the youth factor? Can we finally get a QB that will be talented and upright? Can we finally fix the OL and stabilize it for a decent run of good offense?

I like my chances more if JF and LS stays than I do with starting all over anew once again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The lack of QB options is a separate issue. I'd still like to see what we have in Bradford, but the position needed more attention than it got.

I concur that why I embrace the Mike Glennon option that was offered up by many like @jrry32. They could restructure Bradford acquire Glennon for Zac Stacy and a swap of picks then either draft somebody they like maybe Shane Carden (third round) or Nick Marshall (6th) and would be in much better shape going forward IMHO.

MrMotes

Starter
My only issue with this analyses is that Bridgewarter's offense is being coordinated by Norv Turner if he was with the Rams his offense would be coordinated by Brian Shottenheimer and IMO although I believe he'd be a better option he would not have enjoyed as much success in the latter part of the season.

Yep. Norv Turner has a history of developing young QB's. Shottenheimer does not...

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I think we're to a point now where we can take educated risks (IE still stay away from the guys for whom the red flags become big red sirens warning you to stay away from) as long as we do so in a way that lets us cut ties easily (for example, if Janoris Jenkins hadn't worked out, he was just a 2nd rounder and we had multiple 2nd rounders that year.) When Fisher came in, we already had high character locker room leaders in place.

Good points.

I'm not sure at what point red flags become red sirens. That said, Jenkins jumping routes, on cover 3 or cover 0, and getting beat is a flashing siren, as is Olgetree losing outside contain against running QBs. Pre-draft everyone knew those guys had maturity issues. But, I agree, neither was a "red siren".

Knowing what we know now, however, do we keep these guys just because we drafted them? Do we realistically expect them to develop into responsible, mature football players that understand their assignments within the scheme?

So far, IF, the mark of the Snead/Fisher administration is the belief in unrealistic, overly optimistic expectations, THEN, we stay the course and, realistically, get the same results next year.

UNLESS players suddenly learn discipline AND Bradford play's 16 games.

What are the odds of any of that happening?

To be fair to our FO, they anticipated some veteran leadership (which you alluded to) but didn't get it due to the Chris Long and Bradford respective injuries.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think what they do says a lot about how secure they feel in their jobs. I bellieve if they move Up for jw its a pretty good sign they are feeling the heat.

Honestly, I feel like it's the opposite. Gotta feel confident to take a shot on a rookie QB with some red flags.

It's not the safe route, that's for sure. But if the option is there, I'd absolutely take it.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Honestly, I feel like it's the opposite. Gotta feel confident to take a shot on a rookie QB with some red flags.

It's not the safe route, that's for sure. But if the option is there, I'd absolutely take it.
I wont say I want this guy because I thinkk we should use the draft choices we would have to give up to get him on our ol and finish the team. But I do thnk he's the best qb in the draft. Hopefully we can fins somebody who can throw the ball into the turf.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Jets have cleaned house.
49ers let go of Harbaugh
Looks like Trestman is on his way out in Chicago.
Mike Smith is gone in Atlanta.

Would you like to see any of these guys on our coaching staff?

Trestman would be the only one to me that could realistically fit. The only problem with that is he doesn't really fit in Fisher's Nepotistic agenda.

inb4 Schotty sucks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ges-tracker-latest-hirings-firings-candidates

NFL Coaching, GM Changes Tracker: Latest hirings, firings, candidates
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
December 28, 2014 10:49 am ET
Every year we think less coaches will need to be fired because so many were fired the year before and every year we're wrong: lots of coaches and general managers will find pink slips in their office on 2014's "Black Monday" (the day after Week 17 and the NFL season ends) just like previous seasons.

Some end games are obvious (Rex Ryan). Some already happened (Dennis Allen). Someone will be fired out of nowhere, just like every other year. And just like previous years, we expect the future of some coaches and front office men to be strung out throughout the week.

We'll track all the hirings, firings and latest NFL coaching candidates below. So make sure and bookmark this page for the future.

2014_2015_NFL_Coaching_Changes_Tracker_Black_Monday_Hirings_Firings_Jim_Harbaugh.jpg

Jim Harbaugh leaves the 49ers for Michigan. (USATSI)
Coaching Tracker
TeamNameTitleStatusNews/Analysis/Candidates/Rumors
OAK.png
Tony Sparano
Coach
INTERIM
Dennis Allen fired, Sparano named interim coach.
OAK.png
Reggie McKenzie
GM
HOT SEAT
Mark Davis could make sweeping changes across the Raiders front office.
SF.png
Jim Harbaugh
Coach
OFFICIALLY DIVORCEDOne minute after his Week 17 presser was over, the 49ers announced the two sides have parted ways. The only question is where he'll land; Michigan's the current overwhelming favorite.
NYJ.png
Rex Ryan
Coach
FIRED
Not surprisingly, Ryan was fired after six years in charge, along with general manager John Idzik.
NYJ.png
John Idzik
GM
FIRED
Idzik was fired along with Rex Ryan Monday morning in not-so-shocking news. After all the Jets were terrible.
ATL.png
Mike Smith
Coach
FIRED
Can Smith lose his job if the Falcons make the playoffs? Yes! Atlanta fired Smith on Monday after an embarrassing home loss to the Panthers.
ATL.png
Thomas Dimitroff
GM
SAFE
While "Smitty" got axed in Atlanta, Dimitroff is hanging around for one more coaching search.
CHI.png
Marc Trestman
Coach
FIRED
The Bears struggles this year and Jay Cutler's regression pushed Chicago to make a quick move and fired Trestman after two years.
CHI.png
Phil Emery
GM
FIRED
Emery paid Cutler and picked Trestman over Bruce Arians; that pair of poor decisions cost him his job on Monday morning.
MIA.png
Joe Philbin
Coach
SAFE
Despite another missed opportunity in Miami, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says Philbin will be back for the 2015 season.

Click on link for updates.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Coughlin is getting by on the skin of his teeth. They picked it up for him at the perfect time.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Sorry, man, I didn't see this, you can add mine to this if you like, sorry mods.

Thanks.

Last edited: