Bills OC Greg Roman Fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Here is a totally different perspective....The Owner does not like the OC' 3rd down production. Wow!
*******************************************************************************************************

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...egulas-unhappiness-led-to-greg-romans-firing/

Report: Pegulas’ unhappiness led to Greg Roman’s firing
Posted by Josh Alper on September 16, 2016, 4:11 PM EDT
AP
The firing of offensive coordinator Greg Roman five days into the Bills season illustrates how wrong a foot the team has gotten off on this season and it also contradicts a message Ryan gave to his team during training camp.

In a message taped for a Bills-produced documentary, Ryan said he would “be the first m—–f—– that goes” if the team doesn’t succeed during the 2016 season but that was proven incorrect on Friday. According to Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, the people who will ultimately decide when Ryan is the one to go changed the order of things.

Per Carucci, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula have been unhappy about the offense since last season and expressed their concerns to Ryan in a meeting on Friday morning. Among those concerns were the team’s poor record on third-down conversions — they ranked 21st last season and are 6-of-23 this season — and issues getting calls to quarterback Tyrod Taylor in a timely fashion.

The Pegulas also reportedly don’t believe the two long touchdown passes Taylor threw on Thursday “were a reflection of progress” by the quarterback that could carry the offense the rest of this season. The contract Taylor signed before this season doesn’t contain any guarantees beyond this season, which could leave his spot on the team vulnerable to a change in offensive direction.

Should things continue to go the way they have the last two weeks, that’s unlikely to be the only change in direction in Buffalo this year.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
If Roman can get to the SB with krapondick imagine what he could do with a 1st rd QB

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, not getting calls to your QB in a timely manner is some 7-9 bulls***t but other than that, Roman seemed to have a good rep before this stop. He couldn't be worse than what we have now.

ram007

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The under reported aspect of Monday's loss is the lack of in-game adjustments by coaches.

Yes, the best of game plans go awry from astute and studious preparations which Kelly showed on Monday night. But the absolute demoralization came from the fact that there were Zero in game or halftime adjustments. The in-ability to adjust in-game means this staff cannot win in the long term. period. So changes are required and exploring Roman's addition should be treated as a welcome change.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bull.

Hes a scapegoat here. Didn't they have some quick scores last night? And were leading at least twice. It was their defense. How about Stephen Gilmore getting picked on, and that other CB, Ronald Darby.

But hey...fire the OC.

You're preaching to the choir, I'm just giving one of the so called reasons.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's good enough to make Kap and Tyrod Taylor play like top QBs in his system.

Imagine what he would do with Goff and Gurley... Also doesn't hurt Jim Harbough approved of Roman, as much as fans around here don't like Jim. He does know his football.
Thanks for the info. I hate to sound pessimistic. Ive just seen so many failures at OC

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When he came to the 9ers with Harbaugh, Alex Smith was a first round "bust" QB and their offense looked a lot like ours. That same year they were an absolutely different unit.

Greg Roman is a top ten OC in this league IMO. He is one of very few meat 'n potatoes type OCs who know how to field a good running game but also score points and he can make you successful with lesser QB options.

Ryan is insane. And stupid.
Maybe we should pounce then

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Kap was more of a product of a strong run game IMO. He was never a good QB even with roman. He used his legs to dominate for a short period before teams figured him out.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Rams should pick Roman up immediately. No excuse not too, none. And please don't say "we can't change in mid-season, we need continuity, we can't put the players through another OC change."

Last edited:

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Wait...what? :thinking: They scored 7 points on offense? :thinking::thinking: And only lost by 6?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

So the Bills were :football: while the Rams were :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:.

I'd still be pissed because we lost to SF but I'd feel a lot better with a 13-7 score vs. what we saw from our group.
Wow didn't know 7 points is considered to be fantastic.

"Did you see that Bills game last night?"
"No. How'd their team do?"

"They lost but their offense sure beat the hell out of the Ravens; they scored they score 7 'em!"

Look at it both ways, one week their offense puts up a respectable 24 (7 came from the defense) against a top defense and the week before they put up only a TD against a poor defense. Seems like the perfect candidate for Fisherball: win the hard game, lose the easy ones. I will say I'd take him over Boras, but I'd rather wait until Fisher is gone and Boras will help speed up Jeff's exit. If the new head coach wants Roman, so be it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/16/ryan-pushes-everything-middle-table-firing-roman/

Ryan pushes 'everything into the middle of the table' by firing Roman
By Vic Carucci

Call it desperation. Call it scapegoating.

Whatever it was, something went very wrong between Rex Ryan and Greg Roman, because on Friday the Buffalo Bills' coach fired his offensive coordinator and replaced him with assistant head coach/running backs coach Anthony Lynn.

The Bills parted ways with Roman with two years left on a guaranteed contract paying him about $2 million per season.

"What this move says to me is that Rex is pushing everything into the middle of the table," a team source told The Buffalo News.

Roman was informed of the firing at mid morning while in the middle of preparing the offensive game plan for the Bills' Sept. 25 game against the Arizona Cardinals.

The decision raises a number of questions about where the Bills are headed after falling to 0-2 with Thursday night's 37-31 loss against the New York Jets -- a game that had seemingly reflected more poorly on a defense that allowed former Bill Ryan Fitzpatrick to throw for 374 yards and a touchdown while allowing 493 total yards.

Having barely started his second season with the Bills, Ryan can see what's ahead as well as anyone. The Bills could easily fall to 0-4 with games coming up against Arizona and New England. It's the sort of start that can lead to the head coach being fired during the season, or at least prompt ownership to consider such a move as it is widely discussed by media and fans.

The team's chances of reaching the postseason are drastically reduced, which could very well lead to Ryan's exit after the season.

When, according to a team source, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula expressed concerns over the performance of the offense last year -- despite the fact it led the NFL in rushing -- and this season during a meeting Friday morning, Ryan had the opening to part ways with a top assistant who didn't share the loyalty with him that others did.

Among the biggest issues the Pegulas had with the offense was that it ranked 21st the league in fewest third-down conversions last season and are atrocious in that area again this year. The owners didn't like the fact there were communication issues the past two games between the sidelines and quarterback Tyrod Taylor, who was getting plays from Roman slowly via the receiver in his helmet.

The offense's biggest embarrassment was the season-opening 13-7 loss at Baltimore when it generated its fewest yards (160) since 2006 and only one touchdown. Taylor had touchdown passes of 84 and 71 yards Thursday night, but looked tentative and indecisive throughout the game.

Ownership also didn't believe that those big plays were a reflection of progress by Taylor and couldn't be counted on to carry the offense through the rest of the season. Additionally, the Bills have struggled to run the ball in both games.

Now, the top members of the Bills' coaching staff are Ryan's twin brother, Rob, as assistant head coach/defense; Dennis Thurman, the defensive coordinator who was with Ryan with the Jets, and Lynn, who also was with Ryan in New York.

Roman was known not to have been the biggest Ryan fan, privately telling at least one person after last season that he thought Ryan was a "buffoon" and that being affiliated with him wasn't going to be good for his career. Also, after only a year in Buffalo, Roman was known to have been looking to coach elsewhere after the season, when the Bills led the NFL in rushing, even if that opportunity wasn't a head-coaching job. He was confident Ryan wasn't going to stand in his way.

Still, Ryan went out of his way to say nice things about Roman during a news conference Friday, saying that he "always thought he's a tremendous coach and I still believe that."

However, Ryan took a not-so-subtle dig at Roman's approach, which was to be mostly autonomous with his decision-making.

"I’m not going to get into the past and all that, I’d rather look at the way Anthony is and understanding that we have a coaching staff that's been together and it'll be an inclusive staff and obviously Anthony's going to be the one making the call, and we're going to lean on that expertise of these coaches as well," Ryan aid. "And that's why I think (the move is) going to be very successful."

Asked if Roman didn't take a similar inclusive approach, Ryan said, "I think any comment that I make about what happened in the past, I'd rather leave that behind me and just focus on really what's in front of us."

The timing is curious, to say the least.

The Bills' offense was designed by Roman last season. They have been operating with his playbook and everything about their offensive structure and philosophy has been created by him. Now, it will go through 14 games with someone else in charge.

"I recognize this isn't an ideal situation to make a change, but we do actually have a couple of extra days and I thought it's better than doing it maybe on a Sunday game," Ryan said. "So that's why I went with the decision (Friday)."

Ryan went out of his way to praise Lynn and tout the impact he expects his promotion to have on the offense, despite the fact he has never been a coordinator at any level.

"I know what kind of coach Anthony is, I know what kind of person he is," Ryan said. "And I think the direction he can take us, I think we need the change. I think we have a lot of talent on offense. I believe we're going to do what we can to put the ball in our play-makers' hands."

That was a not-so-veiled shot at Roman for failing to get more touches for Sammy Watkins early last season before the wide receiver complained publicly and then began getting more targets in the second half of the year.

Ryan clearly wants to see running back LeSean McCoy be more active in the offense as well.

Ryan and veteran guard Richie Incognito said that the transition from Roman to Lynn would be helped by the fact that the Bills will keep many of Roman's concepts. The change will be in the sequence of calls from the same playbook.

"It’s always a challenge when this stuff takes place," Incognito said. "I’ve been around a lot of professional organizations and a lot of change like this in my career, but I believe in the guys in this system and I believe in the guys in this locker room.

"I believe Coach Lynn is going to do a great job, I’ve been around him for two years and he has a tremendous work ethic and ton of knowledge of this offense and what we’re trying to do. It falls back to believing."

FRO

Legend
Rex has never had a good offense. He's the one to blame. Just like Fisher with the Rams.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Greg Roman would be an upgrade over Boras. Probably a big one.

But here's the thing...

Why would Roman even consider coming to work for Fisher this year, even as a consultant?

Roman's gonna get paid for the duration of his contract, whether he works or not anymore this year.
Fisher has one foot on a bar of soap career wise with the Rams, not at all certain to be here next year himself.
Fisher has a reputation of not allowing his OC's free rein, so why would a respected OC put himself in that straighjacket voluntarily?
Waiting until next year allows Roman to pick and choose the best opportunity for himself.

So yeah, if I'm Roman I sit back and cash those juicy Bills checks and watch closely to see what are my best opportunities in '17.

Hell, Rex Ryan probably did Roman a big favor by firing him.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The Rams should pick Roman up immediately. No excuse not too, none. And please don't say "we can't change in mid-season, we need continuity, we can't put the players through another OC change."

The Rams last OC change was also in season, if its gonna happen sooner would be better than later.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Wow didn't know 7 points is considered to be fantastic.

"Did you see that Bills game last night?"
"No. How'd their team do?"

"They lost but their offense sure beat the hell out of the Ravens; they scored they score 7 'em!"

Look at it both ways, one week their offense puts up a respectable 24 (7 came from the defense) against a top defense and the week before they put up only a TD against a poor defense. Seems like the perfect candidate for Fisherball: win the hard game, lose the easy ones. I will say I'd take him over Boras, but I'd rather wait until Fisher is gone and Boras will help speed up Jeff's exit. If the new head coach wants Roman, so be it.
Sorry my sarcasm doesn't sit well.

Never said 7 points was fantastic. They were at least "in" that game. The Rams, on the other hand, weren't even competitive against SF. I do find that to be the opposite of fantastic and quite embarrassing. That doesn't sit well with me. Boras (I'm assuming he was calling the plays as the OC) and the entire offense were the problem Monday night. That needs to change post haste. The defense had some issues in the first half and made adjustments going into the second. The offense did not. Hence, the goose egg on the scoreboard. A 7 on the board looks better than the 0. But that's just me...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You guys know, it was him, or Fisher. I fucking hate Rex Ryan, that blowhard, no walk the walk, mother sucker.