Bills hire Sean McDermott

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
as HC.

That leaves Anthony Lynn still available.

Hoping that leaves McVay still on top...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not that I don't like Shanahan.

I just see tremendous pitfalls with him as a coaching fit here.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be successful elsewhere.

I mean, you want someone who's gonna build up Goff because Goff doesn't seem to me like an emotional "forge in fire" type. He's physically tough, but seems to respond much better to encouragement. You can see it in the Gruden segments. When he's being encouraged, Goff maintains eye contact. When jumped on, he averts his eyes, which is a sign of disengagement.

It's more like I'm FOR McVay because I feel that he's a better match for this team and for Goff.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
It's not that I don't like Shanahan.

I just see tremendous pitfalls with him as a coaching fit here.

Doesn't mean he couldn't be successful elsewhere.

I mean, you want someone who's gonna build up Goff because Goff doesn't seem to me like an emotional "forge in fire" type. He's physically tough, but seems to respond much better to encouragement. You can see it in the Gruden segments. When he's being encouraged, Goff maintains eye contact. When jumped on, he averts his eyes, which is a sign of disengagement.

It's more like I'm FOR McVay because I feel that he's a better match for this team and for Goff.

Well said, man. I believe Goff is very much the positive reinforcement type which is why I believe McVay is the perfect fit.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I think that part is really underestimated when it comes to finding successful matches if HCs and teams.

Both Todd Haley and Kyle Shanahan run successful offenses and yet, neither draws the universal support that McVay does expressly because their methods do alienate players and they don't seem to mind.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
as HC.

That leaves Anthony Lynn still available.

Hoping that leaves McVay still on top...
Let's see, that means the Rams could get McVay as HC - Anthony Lynn as OC - and Wade Phillips as DC!!
Any thoughts on this scenario!?!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Let's see, that means the Rams could get McVay as HC - Anthony Lynn as OC - and Wade Phillips as DC!!
Any thoughts on this scenario!?!

As much as I like Shanahan I would love this scenario. Both coordinators are top caliber. The defense is still the strength of this team and Phillips is one of the best DC's in the league. He could help them reach that elusive top ten defense. Callahan has a good history with quarterbacks. He might be the one needed to work with Goff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that part is really underestimated when it comes to finding successful matches if HCs and teams.

Both Todd Haley and Kyle Shanahan run successful offenses and yet, neither draws the universal support that McVay does expressly because their methods do alienate players and they don't seem to mind.

Goff will gain confidence with success. He is a rookie who may be above his current comfort level. There are 84 other players on this team, most of whom need a swift kick in the ass instead of a pat on the hiney. I want a guy that will enforce his will and not coddle players. McVey is just way too young and inexperienced for my liking.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Goff will gain confidence with success. He is a rookie who may be above his current comfort level. There are 84 other players on this team, most of whom need a swift kick in the ass instead of a pat on the hiney. I want a guy that will enforce his will and not coddle players. McVey is just way too young and inexperienced for my liking.
Walking papers speak volumes

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

That's just not everyone's path to success.

Not everyone responds to the "drill sergeant" type.

I'm former military and I respond to several different types of coaching/training. I'm pretty malleable. Others aren't.

Since talent is a pretty rare commodity at the highest levels, it's the BETTER manager that can harness that talent than impose his will.

Seems to me, anyway. imho