Bills HC Doug Marrone and Skin Cancer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Spent a week in Maui back in 85 and got a serious sunburn. A few months later I noticed a growth on my forehead that wasn't there before. Went to a dermatologist, found out it was pre-cancerous and had it removed. Get yourself checked if there's a mole or a growth on your skin that wasn't there before or is increasing in size. It could save your life.
-----------------------------
Doug Marrone recently had cancerous mole removed
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2014

96f51f62ca4ba9e34fdab869593632b0.jpg
AP

Bills coach Doug Marrone has disclosed that he recently had a cancerous mole removed from his skin.

“During a recent doctor’s visit, it was discovered that I had a cancerous mole on my skin, which has since been removed,” Marrone said in a statement posted on the team’s website. “The only follow up required is to have my moles checked every three months and that basically is the end of the story. The recent extraction procedure will have no effect on my ability to coach the team moving forward.”

Marrone, 49, did not specify the location of the mole or the type of cancer, which was discovered during a recent doctor’s visit. Some forms of skin cancer, like basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, are very treatable, if caught early. Even the most serious form of skin cancer, melanoma, can be cured if detected and treated before it spreads.

Jim Johnson, former Eagles defensive coordinator, died due to melanoma in 2009 at the age of 68.

Marrone’s situation serves as an important reminder to examine all skin at least once per month for any abnormal moles or growths. Ask your doctor to do a skin examination during check-ups and physicals. And be sure to get any suspicious areas checked as soon as possible by a dermatologist.

As my dermatologist said in January after slicing from my leg a small growth that turned out to be benign, “A little paranoia can save your patients’ lives.”

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have had a few removed over the years. It is a casualty of working outside and genetics I guess. My Grandfather had some.

Yes definitely check all the marks on your body. I am sure you can find photos of what the ones to be concerned about look like. They are irregularly shaped and shaded.