Bill Polian on the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
"Number one, take the best player regardless of position in virtually every round. The exception to that I’ve always said is quarterback and pass rusher because those are the two hardest things to find."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"Number one, take the best player regardless of position in virtually every round. The exception to that I’ve always said is quarterback and pass rusher because those are the two hardest things to find."

Polian is past his prime and he really had the Colts screwed up after Manning. Give me a guy who can draft successfully even with the higher numbered picks and then I listen. Everyone knows the BPA theory but either Polian didn't follow his own mantra, misjudged talent, or just turned in the wrong cards because his team was shit after Manning left.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nobody is perfect brother. And I do not doubt that given health he could still function as an excellent GM.

I posted that quote to demonstrate the truth of supply and demand as it pertains to the draft. It is just as applicable today as it was 10 years ago.

Athos

Legend
Polian is past his prime and he really had the Colts screwed up after Manning. Give me a guy who can draft successfully even with the higher numbered picks and then I listen. Everyone knows the BPA theory but either Polian didn't follow his own mantra, misjudged talent, or just turned in the wrong cards because his team was crap after Manning left.

Doesn't mean he's not wrong with that comment unless you're already stacked at pass rusher like we are.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Polian is past his prime and he really had the Colts screwed up after Manning. Give me a guy who can draft successfully even with the higher numbered picks and then I listen. Everyone knows the BPA theory but either Polian didn't follow his own mantra, misjudged talent, or just turned in the wrong cards because his team was crap after Manning left.

Well it's hard to keep things together for a long period of time with salary cap implications.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well it's hard to keep things together for a long period of time with salary cap implications.

I don't think it was just that. He just made bad decisions IMO. Every team struggles with the salary cap. Every team has to juggle the roster. You have to work with your coaches and decide who is worth keeping and who you can replace with depth. But they didn't have any depth. They had a great QB, two great WR and very good TE a good Center and two good DEs. They were offense heavy and I don't recall Polian getting the late round or UDFA finds like some GMs do. I think he did great with Buffalo but somewhere down the line in Indianapolis he just fell off his game.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think it was just that. He just made bad decisions IMO. Every team struggles with the salary cap. Every team has to juggle the roster. You have to work with your coaches and decide who is worth keeping and who you can replace with depth. But they didn't have any depth. They had a great QB, two great WR and very good TE a good Center and two good DEs. They were offense heavy and I don't recall Polian getting the late round or UDFA finds like some GMs do. I think he did great with Buffalo but somewhere down the line in Indianapolis he just fell off his game.

Those core players took up quite a bit of salary cap space and picking at the bottom of rounds just about every year can be difficult. BTW, I'm not sure if there was a salary cap when he was in Buffalo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Those core players took up quite a bit of salary cap space and picking at the bottom of rounds just about every year can be difficult. BTW, I'm not sure if there was a salary cap when he was in Buffalo.

I agree with that but there is this mystique with Polian like he is a great GM, above everyone else. He is just like the rest of them with the same exact struggles as any other team with quality vets to retain.. There is nothing special about Polian. So why is he so revered?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree with that but there is this mystique with Polian like he is a great GM, above everyone else. He is just like the rest of them with the same exact struggles as any other team with quality vets to retain.. There is nothing special about Polian. So why is he so revered?

Teams with 6 or 7 Super Bowl appearances and most of his teams having winning records will do that for a guy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Teams with 6 or 7 Super Bowl appearances and most of his teams having winning records will do that for a guy.

His time was long past. His Bills teams were much better than his Colts teams. Same went for Beathard. So, how does one guy put together a very good team and then a very bad team. And yes the Colts team was very bad near the end. Is it that with age he falls off of his game, or is it that he got lucky on some of his picks with the Bills and unlucky with the Colts? Did he forget how to evaluate his own talent later on and let the wrong guys walk? Did he overpay where he shouldn't have?

If his Colts team was not the shambles that it was, without Peyton Manning, then I wouldn't look at it this way. How does a guy who is supposed to be one of the better GMs in the league end up with a team that bad? Worst in the league?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
His time was long past. His Bills teams were much better than his Colts teams. Same went for Beathard. So, how does one guy put together a very good team and then a very bad team. And yes the Colts team was very bad near the end. Is it that with age he falls off of his game, or is it that he got lucky on some of his picks with the Bills and unlucky with the Colts? Did he forget how to evaluate his own talent later on and let the wrong guys walk? Did he overpay where he shouldn't have?

If his Colts team was not the shambles that it was, without Peyton Manning, then I wouldn't look at it this way. How does a guy who is supposed to be one of the better GMs in the league end up with a team that bad? Worst in the league?
You mean the suck for luck intentional tank season?

Memphis Ram

Legend

Colts very bad near the end?

Well I've already discussed draft positioning and the salary cap. I'll also add that he had 2-3 pretty good players selected had their careers shortened due to injury. But, in the end, nobody, and I mean no one has success in this league as a GM in perpetuity. You can't name one. So why are you holding him to such a high standard?

BTW, it's not just the Colts and the Bills. His Panthers expansion team finished 12 - 4 in year two and went to the NFC Championship Game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So why are you holding him to such a high standard?

Because he is no different than any other GM that had success for a bit. He was good. He had his run and then he lost it? Maybe lost the edge? The desire? or his scouts weren't as good as they were before? Or his assistant GM or pro personnel people. There is more that goes into it than just Polian. Was he a good GM? Sure for a while and then for a while he was no better and even worse than others.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Because he is no different than any other GM that had success for a bit. He was good. He had his run and then he lost it? Maybe lost the edge? The desire? or his scouts weren't as good as they were before? Or his assistant GM or pro personnel people. There is more that goes into it than just Polian. Was he a good GM? Sure for a while and then for a while he was no better and even worse than others.

OK. But, my guess is that most, including those Hall of Fame voters, would disagree with you.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
OK. But, my guess is that most, including those Hall of Fame voters, would disagree with you.

They might. What seperates the good from the bad could just be bad luck. Maybe I am too hard on Polian because the drafts during his ending years were not so great overall. Or you could say that is when a GM really makes his money and earns his rep.