Bill Parcells: If You Start a QB Too Early It Can Destroy Them

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Fisher realizes this^, At least I hope so!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fairly certain this applies to every position on the field. Starting a rookie before their ready isn't the best way to go regardless of position.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Would be wise to let Goff start his 1st game on the road in Detroit. But it sounds like he's the type of player that will put in the extra time getting ready. And thus starts week 1.. I would like to put kid gloves on him for a couple of weeks and let him watch for a bit

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
It's obvious it's no time to be timid. The Rams have thrown all the chips on the table.It seems that damn Jerry has been right again. Goff was the right choice.Can't argue with him. I'm too damn emotional. Fans tend to be like that, talk from the heart. Cooler heads will prevail. :giveup:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Honestly; I disagree with Parcells.

I'd like him to name those 20 QB that started too early that didn't make it because of that.

David Carr? Akili Smith? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young? Byron Leftwhich? Jake Locker? Brady Quinn?

I'd argue those guys never had what it took to be successful in this league. It had nothing to do with starting too early.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Honestly; I disagree with Parcells.

I'd like him to name those 20 QB that started too early that didn't make it because of that.

David Carr? Akili Smith? Jamarcus Russell? Vince Young? Byron Leftwhich? Jake Locker? Brady Quinn?

I'd argue those guys never had what it took to be successful in this league. It had nothing to do with starting too early.
I think Carr might have had a chance e on that list. I stress the word "might".

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I Agree, this is much more important with QB"s than any other position.
Instead of polishing technique and fundamental flaws they can exaggerate all of their bad habits when played to early

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think one of the keys here is the qualifier Parcels used. He didn't think it was wise to put a guy in until he is ready. He said most first round QBs go to teams that finished at the bottom.

The Rams DO have other players in place to help Goff succeed. We moved up to that spot to pick him. We were not a cellar dweller with no talent, starting over. We were a couple close plays from a wild card spot with historically bad QB play.

I went into this video thinking Parcels was going to comment specifically about the Rams situation. I'm curious what his opinion would have been about Goff specifically. If he even knows anything about our team.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mighty be...or might not. I would hope that if Goff shows early signs he is absorbing the instruction & mental major parts then I see no really big issue with Goff getting early action. I would sure want the OL to be up & fully operational & effective with the offensive weapons working running the right routes and such. Main thing is to ensure that maximum protection is utilized early to prevent another Bradford injury redux.

PainTrain

UDFA
Name
Raffi
Goff started as a True Frosh at Cal for a 1-11 team getting pummeled because he had a terrible O-line and no run game, not to mention passing because his team was always down.

He's an exception rather than rule because he's been dealing with it since he was 18

Ram65

Legend
Things in favor of Goff starting game #1.

1. Rams are closer to being a very good team then a team a very bad team that picks first in the draft.
2. Rams have Todd Gurely.
3. Rams offensive line is improved.
4. Rams have a very good defense.
5. Rams have a great punter in J Hekker,
6. Rams have been solid on special teams.
7. Goff can handle the spotlight while only having to be part of the offense and team.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Really depends on how a QB handles adversity. Derek Carr had a lot of hiccups his rookie season but turned out good his 2nd year. Hopefully Goff's situation is favorable, Gurley will certainly make QBing easier for him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wait, didn't Drew Bledsoe start day 1?

Seems to me the Patriots weren't destroyed
Unfortunately

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Goff stepped into a situation that most 1st pick QB's don't have the luxury of having. Goff has a top Pro Bowl running back behind him, a decent young offensive line, and a very good defensive squad.

I would think that any QB would have been drooling to be picked by the Rams because there are a lot worse options out there.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not too thrilled with putting Goff on the spot in a game against the Rams main antagonist in their stadium on a nationally televised Monday night football the very first game of the season. I don't care how cool, calm and collected he acts. He's got a ton of butterflies and probably pukes in the locker room before the game. Let Keenum do the puking.
Let Goff sit and absorb the speed of NFL football a coupole of games and if he;s ready, start him in Detroit. I'd rather see Keenum start the first two againt division oponents 48'ers and seachicks.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not too thrilled with putting Goff on the spot in a game against the Rams main antagonist in their stadium on a nationally televised Monday night football the very first game of the season. I don't care how cool, calm and collected he acts. He's got a ton of butterflies and probably pukes in the locker room before the game. Let Keenum do the puking.
Let Goff sit and absorb the speed of NFL football a coupole of games and if he;s ready, start him in Detroit. I'd rather see Keenum start the first two againt division oponents 48'ers and seachicks.
This is my sentiment exactly when it comes to Goff. The Rams spent a lot to get the guy. TAKE YOUR TIME AND PREPARE HIM!!!.

Give him the best opportunity to succeed!.