Bill O'Brien

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Nah. As Den said, he'd get a HC job.
See my above post. He will I am sure, but most likely not this year if he is fired which most likely wont happen in the first place. Let a man dream brother!!! You know he'd be a good fit with McDaniels or Patricia.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
See my above post. He will I am sure, but most likely not this year if he is fired which most likely wont happen in the first place. Let a man dream brother!!! You know he'd be a good fit with McDaniels or Patricia.

If he gets fired this year, another team with an opening will hire him (Buffalo, Jacksonville, etc.). He hasn't had a losing record as a HC and made the playoffs the past two years.

But on the off chance that doesn't happen, why wouldn't he just take the Patriots OC job?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/07/bill-obrien-may-still-be-on-the-way-out-in-houston/

Bill O'Brien on way out in Houston?

Yes, Texans owner Bob McNair won’t be firingcoach Bill O’Brien. But that doesn’t mean O’Brien will be coming back in 2017.

The chatter that emerged last week couched the potential divorce as the product of a mutual decision. Per multiple sources, the situation is much more about O’Brien not being happy with the Texans than the Texans not being happy with O’Brien.

The situation arises from friction between O’Brien and G.M. Rick Smith. But the team’s position is that, in an intense industry like football, people aren’t going to always get along. They don’t have to get along; they just have to work together.

The team’s position also may be influenced by a sense that O’Brien was hoping to get a free-and-clear release from his contract, with the ability to pursue a vacant head-coaching job. If someone wants to hire him, they’ll have to contact the Texans and negotiate compensation in advance of negotiating with O’Brien.

The end result, for now, is that the six teams with vacancies know it’s a possibility. Whether someone commences that process remains to be seen. Regardless, it’s now widely known that O’Brien is potentially in play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he were to come available he'd go right to the top of the list for a lot of teams, Rams included. And for good reason. He meets that criteria the Rams desperately need with locking up a guy who can develop their young signal caller, but also has done a reasonable job in his first stint as head coach in fielding solid teams without ever having his QB in place.

I doubt the dude comes available, though. Texans will hold him to his contract and draft him a QB or two he likes this time around in the draft. Won't be a top guy, but he'll get some young help he can mold.

jap

Legend
I doubt the dude comes available, though. Texans will hold him to his contract and draft him a QB or two he likes this time around in the draft. Won't be a top guy, but he'll get some young help he can mold.

Never say never!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The Texans are NO WHERE near as good as they looked yesterday. They took on a Raiders team that lost their top 2 QBs, started a rookie QB that doesn't get practice time, an injured OL, WRs that keep dropping the ball, and all the while being the highest penalized team.

Houston has an offense that is ranked with Jacksonville, Cleveland, and yup even LA. That's with DeAndre Hopkins, LaMarr Miller, a talented rookie Will Fuller, and a good OL (well on the left side). BOB fucked up the QB position in 2015 unnecessarily benching Brian Hoyer for Ryan Mallet AFTER ONE GAME!

BOB is a dolt. They never should've let Gary Kubiak go.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
The Texans are NO WHERE near as good as they looked yesterday. They took on a Raiders team that lost their top 2 QBs, started a rookie QB that doesn't get practice time, an injured OL, WRs that keep dropping the ball, and all the while being the highest penalized team.

Houston has an offense that is ranked with Jacksonville, Cleveland, and yup even LA. That's with DeAndre Hopkins, LaMarr Miller, a talented rookie Will Fuller, and a good OL (well on the left side). BOB freaked up the QB position in 2015 unnecessarily benching Brian Hoyer for Ryan Mallet AFTER ONE GAME!

BOB is a dolt. They never should've let Gary Kubiak go.

as great as the talent is on that offense, the QB position is still trash, yet they continue to win in a league where it usually take a good QB to win, let alone make playoffs. We as fans wont know the truth behind who wanted Brock and who didnt, but either way he has sucked yet the Texans continued to win just like they did with Keenum, Hoyer, Mallet, Yates, weeden, and whichever other backup/3rd string QBs I failed to mention.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
as great as the talent is on that offense, the QB position is still trash, yet they continue to win in a league where it usually take a good QB to win, let alone make playoffs. We as fans wont know the truth behind who wanted Brock and who didnt, but either way he has sucked yet the Texans continued to win just like they did with Keenum, Hoyer, Mallet, Yates, weeden, and whichever other backup/3rd string QBs I failed to mention.

They still aren't as good as everyone thinks after yesterday. That 9-7 is a sham. Weak division. They struggle offensively. Have the least amount of TDs in the redzone...that includes the Rams!

They win many times by default, mainly b/c the other teams they play are even worse. Yes, they did make the playoffs and when they do get destroyed by other teams. This year they were lucky they got to play an injured Raiders team.

tbux

Rookie
To go 9-7 with the QB play he has had is impressive. some love Payton - who has gone 7-9 3 years straight with a HOF caliber QB. I would take Obrien all day. JMO

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
To be fair, if the Texans gave him anything to work with at QB, they'd probably be a really good football team. He got quality play out of Fitzpatrick and Hoyer.(even got Brandon Weeden to look halfway decent) This year, he got what he could out of Osweiler. They've had top defenses each year he was there as well.

On the flip side, the Jets were able to pull the best year out of Fitzpatrick, Hoyer also played well in Chicago, and Osweiler looked better in Denver. Probably his best QB success story was Hackenberg at Penn State. We don't need a QB guru as much as a coach who implements a system which works to the strengths of our offense similar to the effect Andy Reid had on the Kansas City offense and, in turn, Alex Smith. If you fix the system, you fix the QB. O'Brien has been great for the defense in Houston but we need someone that can spark the offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the flip side, the Jets were able to pull the best year out of Fitzpatrick, Hoyer also played well in Chicago, and Osweiler looked better in Denver. Probably his best QB success story was Hackenberg at Penn State. We don't need a QB guru as much as a coach who implements a system which works to the strengths of our offense similar to the effect Andy Reid had on the Kansas City offense and, in turn, Alex Smith. If you fix the system, you fix the QB. O'Brien has been great for the defense in Houston but we need someone that can spark the offense.

I'll also point out that the Jets were able to get that year out of Fitzpatrick after he played for O'Brien. And then Fitzpatrick ended up falling apart again. The Bears also got that good play out of Hoyer after he played for O'Brien. And Osweiler looked better in Denver because teams didn't have a lot of film on him.(plus, he was on a ridiculously talented team) Osweiler looked terrible in his final game in Denver against a bad Chargers team.

But you're more making my point for me. O'Brien implemented a system in Houston that has gotten good results out of mediocre passers, except for Osweiler. And Osweiler is a QB he never wanted.

What's relevant here is that Hoyer and Fitzpatrick both played better after working with O'Brien.(before Fitzpatrick fall back to his old habits) I think that means something. You see the same sort of patterns with other coaches who are very good at working with a certain position.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
If he's available he's my no. 1 choice.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'll also point out that the Jets were able to get that year out of Fitzpatrick after he played for O'Brien. And then Fitzpatrick ended up falling apart again. The Bears also got that good play out of Hoyer after he played for O'Brien. And Osweiler looked better in Denver because teams didn't have a lot of film on him.(plus, he was on a ridiculously talented team) Osweiler looked terrible in his final game in Denver against a bad Chargers team.

But you're more making my point for me. O'Brien implemented a system in Houston that has gotten good results out of mediocre passers, except for Osweiler. And Osweiler is a QB he never wanted.

What's relevant here is that Hoyer and Fitzpatrick both played better after working with O'Brien.(before Fitzpatrick fall back to his old habits) I think that means something. You see the same sort of patterns with other coaches who are very good at working with a certain position.

The success of those quarterbacks is highly debatable during their tenure in Houston. They had a decent QBR but their offenses were still in the bottom 5 in scoring. We need a coach, not that can make Goff efficient in low scoring games, but someone who can take our whole offensive unit out of the gutter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The success of those quarterbacks is highly debatable during their tenure in Houston. They had a decent QBR but their offenses were still in the bottom 5 in scoring. We need a coach, not that can make Goff efficient in low scoring games, but someone who can take our whole offensive unit out of the gutter.

It doesn't really matter at this point because Houston is keeping him. But I must disagree. Their offense was 14th in scoring in 2014 with Fitzy. In 2015, they were 21st in scoring with Hoyer (mainly) at QB and nothing at HB. O'Brien got 4000+ yards and 29 passing TDs (to 12 Ints) out of Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates, and Brandon Weeden. That makes him a magician in my book. ;)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It doesn't really matter at this point because Houston is keeping him. But I must disagree. Their offense was 14th in scoring in 2014 with Fitzy. In 2015, they were 21st in scoring with Hoyer (mainly) at QB and nothing at HB. O'Brien got 4000+ yards and 29 passing TDs (to 12 Ints) out of Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates, and Brandon Weeden. That makes him a magician in my book. ;)

Well then I suppose Bill O'Brien, John Fox, Gary Kubrick, Todd Bowles, and Jason Garrett are all QB "magicians" and 29th, 18th, and 24th rated passing offense is a success story.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me too.
He didn't want Osweiler, and that's a large part of why he wants out of Houston.
He's done magic with the QB he has and while many focus on the offense, the defense has been quietly spectacular even after losing JJ Watt. So for a HC known for his offense, his defense has been a focus too

But I get why its so easy to be critical of him being a Rams fan, being we are so spoiled with winning and spectacular offense all the time....

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Idk about Bill but give me Crennel at DC the moment he becomes available again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well then I suppose Bill O'Brien, John Fox, Gary Kubrick, Todd Bowles, and Jason Garrett are all QB "magicians" and 29th, 18th, and 24th rated passing offense is a success story.

It doesn't seem like you really want to address my points on this. Three of the guys you named have no real input on their offenses. Two aren't even offensive coaches. :LOL:

Agree to disagree.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-bill-obrien-chatter/?utm_term=.efb09c354271

Try as they might, the Texans can’t shake the Bill O’Brien chatter

Matt Bonesteel
Early Lead
January 9 at 2:30 PM

The message was clear after the Houston Texans secured just the third playoff victory in franchise history on Saturday, at least publicly: Coach Bill O’Brien wasn’t going anywhere. “I don’t know where they get that,” team owner Bob McNair
told reporters after the game. “There’s nothing to it. I got a chuckle out of it. I’m not going to fire him. We’re already talking about next year. Forget that. If I were you, I wouldn’t repeat it because it’s false.”

Said O’Brien himself, in a chat with MMQB’s Peter King: “I don’t know where it’s coming from, honestly. That’s probably a question for someone else. All those things out there, I’m not familiar where they’ve originated from, and I certainly want to finish what we started and bring a championship to Houston. That’s why I came here.”

[If your team played defense like the Texans, you wouldn’t fire Bill O’Brien, either]

But King made sure to add, in the very next paragraph, that he thinks O’Brien “would be a strong candidate in at least two of the six current openings.” Then, on Monday, Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio brought up that many league observers still don’t think O’Brien is satisfied with his situation.

“The talk hasn’t ended because it’s widely believed in league circles that O’Brien is not happy in Houston. (One league source used extremely colorful language in explaining O’Brien’s mind-set.),” Florio writes.

Yahoo’s Charles Robinson explained why the talk refuses to subside even in the aftermath of a playoff victory.

“The people who know O’Brien believe he wants more. Specifically, more power to shape his team. More influence over his roster. More power over draft picks. More power to cut any player he sees fit at whatever moment he deems necessary. Not to mention more power over the local media, which O’Brien apparently believes gets a significant amount of leeway from the franchise,” Robinson says.