Bill Belichick calls Tom Brady 'greatest quarterback of all time'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Brady will go into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot but his legacy, once he retires from the NFL, will be attached with the asterisk of *cheater* because of the coach and team he played for. Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, John Elway, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, Tro Aikman, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr and the rest of the greats never had to contend with that.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...hick-calls-tom-brady-greatest-quarterback-all

Mike Reiss/ESPN New England Patriots reporter

Speaking as a guest at the 2016 Salesforce World Tour event on Thursday, New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick shared his opinion that Tom Brady is the "greatest quarterback of all time."

Belichick, who often has said over the years that there is no other quarterback he'd rather have than Brady, praised Brady in the context of mentioning a group of "special guys" he's felt privileged to coach. The remarks came as part of a keynote question-and-answer session.

"He's been just a tremendous leader and tremendous player for our organization," Belichick said of Brady.

At the event, Belichick was asked about the Patriots' sustained success and some of the ways the franchise has been able to stay at the top.

"One of the things we've tried to do is be an outlier in some respects," Belichick explained.

In detailing one way in which the Patriots have done that, Belichick pointed out that when he arrived as Patriots coach in 2000, his team was one of only two to run the 3-4 defense. But by 2005, after the Patriots had won three Super Bowls, half the league was playing the 3-4 defense, making it harder to find players.

"We've had to find different ways to capitalize on the talent that's available. Otherwise, we're going to get like the fifth, sixth, seventh best guy at whatever the position is. So we've tried to take more of our way in areas that are less populated," he said, adding that it comes down to having "great players" on a team to win.

Belichick also said that the "hallmark" of the Patriots has been that everyone is committed to a common goal and there is "great leadership with the Kraft family up at the top."

When asked how he keeps a varied group of players motivated, Belichick talked about how much he enjoys football and that "it beats working." He naturally looks for players who have a similar mindset.

"If you like football, and you like to come in and work on football, then the New England Patriots is a great place to be," he said. "If you don't, if it's a job, if you'd rather be doing something else, honestly you'd be better off with another team.

"I think it starts there -- a love of the game, the passion for the game, a passion to be part of a team, be part of a group, be part of a commitment to perform at a high level, and be unselfish and to give up some of your own personal goals and desires for the good of the team for the opportunity to be part of something special in a team environment. I think those are the things that help us."

Belichick discussed how it can be challenging to do that in football because players come from so many different backgrounds.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
BeXEScRIUAAnZ4a.jpg

LOL....what a tool......it helps a ton when they stack the deck to help poor little Brady.

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame
Brady will go into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot but his legacy, once he retires from the NFL, will be attached with the asterisk of *cheater* because of the coach and team he played for. Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, John Elway, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, Tro Aikman, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr and the rest of the greats never had to contend with that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-new...-no-big-deal-tom-brady-patriots-49ers-linemen

http://nypost.com/2016/02/01/defiant-peyton-manning-to-nfl-probe-for-hgh-all-you-want/

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/12/s...mes-was-or-wasn-t-there-a-spy-up-on-high.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-12-25/sports/sp-1373_1_baltimore-colts

No, at least a few of them did. It's just ancient history now.

Pro(and amateur) sports are a dirty business.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

True but most never took it to the extent that the Patriots did. Look, I think Tom Brady has been an excellent QB and Bill Belichick will go down in NFL history as one the greatest coaches ever but there is such a thing as having a good reputation to go along with your accomplishments. Those two will forever be besmirched by the hint of cheating, at least for the time being until the memories of the fans fade.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
And you just named a bunch of QB's I'd list as "Better than Brady!!":seizure::icare:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...hick-calls-tom-brady-greatest-quarterback-all

Mike Reiss/ESPN New England Patriots reporter

Speaking as a guest at the 2016 Salesforce World Tour event on Thursday, New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick shared his opinion that Tom Brady is the "greatest quarterback of all time."

Belichick, who often has said over the years that there is no other quarterback he'd rather have than Brady, praised Brady in the context of mentioning a group of "special guys" he's felt privileged to coach. The remarks came as part of a keynote question-and-answer session.

"He's been just a tremendous leader and tremendous player for our organization," Belichick said of Brady.

At the event, Belichick was asked about the Patriots' sustained success and some of the ways the franchise has been able to stay at the top.

"One of the things we've tried to do is be an outlier in some respects," Belichick explained.

In detailing one way in which the Patriots have done that, Belichick pointed out that when he arrived as Patriots coach in 2000, his team was one of only two to run the 3-4 defense. But by 2005, after the Patriots had won three Super Bowls, half the league was playing the 3-4 defense, making it harder to find players.

"We've had to find different ways to capitalize on the talent that's available. Otherwise, we're going to get like the fifth, sixth, seventh best guy at whatever the position is. So we've tried to take more of our way in areas that are less populated," he said, adding that it comes down to having "great players" on a team to win.

Belichick also said that the "hallmark" of the Patriots has been that everyone is committed to a common goal and there is "great leadership with the Kraft family up at the top."

When asked how he keeps a varied group of players motivated, Belichick talked about how much he enjoys football and that "it beats working." He naturally looks for players who have a similar mindset.

"If you like football, and you like to come in and work on football, then the New England Patriots is a great place to be," he said. "If you don't, if it's a job, if you'd rather be doing something else, honestly you'd be better off with another team.

"I think it starts there -- a love of the game, the passion for the game, a passion to be part of a team, be part of a group, be part of a commitment to perform at a high level, and be unselfish and to give up some of your own personal goals and desires for the good of the team for the opportunity to be part of something special in a team environment. I think those are the things that help us."

Belichick discussed how it can be challenging to do that in football because players come from so many different backgrounds.

This is just one dirt bag pumping up another (his lackey) one...........
giphy.gif

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
It's between Brady and Montana at this point. I'd probably take Brady though. I can't imagine what he could do if he had a WR like Jerry Rice to throw to.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's between Brady and Montana at this point. I'd probably take Brady though. I can't imagine what he could do if he had a WR like Jerry Rice to throw to.

We saw what he did with Moss, so yeah if he had a guy like that for several years he'd have put up some ginormous yardage and TD totals.

@NateDawg122 IMO Steve Young was not only better than Montana he's probably the best that ever played.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
there is such a thing as having a good reputation to go along with your accomplishments
Reputations should be earned but reality is they are often invented for public figures, especially the NFL where it's in their financial interest to create fictional stories of heroes. The key is you have to look at who is behind how the reputation was created.

Joe Montana should have the worst reputation of any QB in NFL history given his convicted felon owner, mob attorney GM, his union scab episode, the cocaine rumors, the salary cap cheating, the roster tampering in an era where there wasn't supposed to be free agency (Hacksaw, Fred Dean etc.) -- all added up to Montana having the biggest cheating benefit of any QB in history on the field and personal dirt off.

But back then the media was 100% controlled -- led by Berman, Michaels, Madden, all SF Bay Area homers -- all dedicated to the fake story of the 49ers as "the good guys" and painting others like Raiders & Cowboys as "the bad guys". The entire tabloid wing of the NFL media was dedicated to digging dirt on the Cowboys back then, but of course when Jerry Rice was caught in a whorehouse by the cops the media said nothing to tarnish his rep because that didn't fit their 49ers narrative.

Montana was among the biggest assholes to ever play the game -- he hated on Rudy for crying out loud -- but his reputation will never show the truth because of the vast machine of ass-kissers that hid the truth of him and still do today.

Brady doesn't have that benefit. He's judged on the truth, and I think it's fair he has his asterisk. It's just hypocrisy that some of the other QB's aren't judged on the same standard when they often deserve the asterisk. That's why I never get involved in the "greatest ever" debates, it's all pretty stupid.

I can't imagine what he could do if he had a WR like Jerry Rice to throw to.
Kissing ass of two overrated Whiners in a single reply earns:
jiFfM.jpg

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Being an asshole has nothing to do with how good a player Montana was.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Being an icehole has nothing to do with how good a player Montana was.
Totally agree, just pointing out the hypocrisy of those that judge Brady on his personality while overlooking it for Montana.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You know it's the doldrums of the offseason when anyone here gives a rats ass what Belicheck has to say.

Lord have mercy, this is the Hotel California of offseasons... Or Groundhog Day...

If that's the case though, I do want to learn the piano and no, I won't be learning French poetry...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If that's the case though, I do want to learn the piano
I will pay a competitive wage to you if you're able to learn - and provide a modern rendition - of RAM IT! on the piano.
YouTube video proof required.