Biggest remaining holes, NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/sto...fill-every-nfl-team-draft-2017-offseason#NFCW

NFC WEST
By Bryan Knowles

i

Arizona Cardinals
Quarterback of the future

It was perhaps a blessing in disguise that three teams traded up ahead of Arizona to pick first-round quarterbacks. The run on players in a mediocre quarterback class allowed the Cardinals to replace some of the 5,000-plus defensive snaps they lost in free agency instead -- losses that included Kevin Minter, Tony Jefferson, D.J. Swearinger, Calais Campbell, Marcus Cooper and Alex Okafor -- with players such as Haason Reddick and Budda Baker. Those two draftees fit Arizona's mold of versatile defenders who can be moved around as the situation warrants.

Unfortunately, that means the Cardinals enter 2017 with no significant replacement plan for Carson Palmer. Palmer will turn 38 in December and is coming off a below-average season, finishing 21st in DYAR. Behind him are the 33-year-old Drew Stanton and practice squad vet Zac Dysert, neither of whom constitute a long-term plan. The list of quarterbacks who have performed at a high level past their 38th birthday is very short, and Palmer is unlikely to buck that trend. It's obviously not a pressing need for 2017, but the sooner the Cardinals plan for life after Palmer, the better off they will be.

i

Los Angeles Rams
Offensive line

Down a first- and third-round pick because of the Jared Goff trade from last season, the Rams did what they could to provide Goff with some tools. Three of their first four picks went toward building a receiving corps, but that leaves the protection up front in question. The Rams allowed the second-most sacks last season while finishing 29th in both adjusted line yards and adjusted sack rate. It's hard to develop as a quarterback when you have no time in the pocket.

The Rams added to the position in free agency, with Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan coming on board, but the rest of the line is a series of question marks. Greg Robinson has been hugely disappointing as 2014's second overall pick; he is being moved to right tackle. That means previous right tackle Rob Havenstein, who had 22 blown blocks in 2016, will bump in to right guard. Left guard Rodger Saffold had 24 blown blocks himself, per Sports Info Solutions, though it was a marked improvement over his 2015 campaign. The Rams hope the deck chair shuffling will provide something positive in 2017.

i

San Francisco 49ers
Right tackle

The 49ers finished last in adjusted line yards and 30th in adjusted sack rate last season, so it's safe to say the offensive line could stand an overhaul. They added Jeremy Zuttah in a pre-draft trade, but the projected starting lineup still includes three players with at least 21 blown blocks, per Sports Info Solutions: Trent Brown at right tackle, Joshua Garnett at right guard and Zane Beadles at left guard.

Of the three, Brown is the most concerning. He was an utter liability at right tackle a season ago. Ex-Seahawk Garry Gilliam will compete for the job, but even lineman-strapped Seattle wanted no part of Gilliam in 2017. The 49ers are going through a multiyear rebuilding process and had too many holes to fill in one draft. After none of their 10 draft choices were used on the offensive line, they'll have to limp through 2017 before they undergo a major overhaul.

i

Seattle Seahawks
Offensive line

Going into the draft, the Seahawks had needs at both tackle spots and guard. The Seahawks added Ethan Pocic in the second round and Justin Senior in the sixth, so they didn't ignore the offensive line entirely. However, Pocic's most logical fit in the NFL is at center, where the Seahawks already have Justin Britt. The Seahawks announced Pocic as a tackle at the draft, but all but one of his college games came in the interior.

This is an offensive line that has allowed 40 or more sacks in each of the last four seasons, so if this need feels like déjà vu, there's a reason for that. The Seahawks, from a very basic philosophical level, refuse to invest in the offensive line. They have ranked in the bottom three in cap spending on linemen in both 2015 and 2016. Time after time after time after time after time, the lack of talent on the offensive line gets ignored, and the Seahawks still manage to be successful. Imagine how good this team would be if Russell Wilson didn't have to run for his life every other snap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sports info solutions? Did PFF rename itself or have a baby?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
OL is a major issue for a lot of NFL teams. OL coming out of college just aren't NFL ready. NFC West especially. Rams D should stack up some sacks against the Whiners and Hags. Their OL suck even worse than the Rams.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sports info solutions? Did PFF rename itself or have a baby?

I think you could gather that ESPN thought it needed it's own PFF and maybe Sports Info Solutions is their affordable partner - i mean I doubt SIS is making any money off of their so called "partnership" and have trading their "info" for exposure. Which would be cool unless ESPN was a sinking ship :LOL:

http://www.sportsinfosolutions.com/Partners

But seriously I take way less offense to baby PFF than I do with ESPN's author on the block "Bryan Knowles"

This fucker Brian Knowls well he Knowles Nothing okay, i mean, get that "deck chair" bullcrap crack out of here. Great way to alienate a fanbase you moron.

Why are shitty writers and these pretend beat writers so complelled to keep telling us how they feel or their "take" instead of just doing their best to positively break down a teams moves?!!!

Deck chairs. F you

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What's funny is the defense plays well for the Rams they'll have a nice matchup with the opposing offenses, given that two of the three are questionable on the OL just like they are, and the third (AZ) has an old QB on his last legs and no options to replace him.

If Arizona didn't have an offensive mind like Arians in charge I'd be thinking they're in trouble. But again either way you look at it this team might match up well if some things go their way (slight defensive improvement, and offensive improvement to 15-20 range) in the development department.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Oddly enough, my biggest concern with this team is that ILB position next to Ogletree & if the CBs are good enough in man coverage.

Well that, and the QB position which is the key to the whole shabang. Hopefully, Goff takes a giant leap this season.

fearsomefour

Legend
Until proven otherwise the O line is hole as a whole.
The O line could not play effectively last year. Should have a big upgrade at LT and that is no small thing. The rest of line is mostly holdovers save for an oft injured C. So, yeah, it's a hole. New coaching, new scheme. Hopefully that is the difference.
ILB, WR and of QB. Potential issues abound.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The SINGLE BIGGEST factor for our historically bad offense was the incoherent scheme.

Players in the scheme were lost. How does one execute well and play with speed, confidence and aggression when what one's trying to do doesn't make sense or is planned so poorly that it would fail with perfect execution?

It was NEVER more apparent than watching our OL and Gurley.

We can't ignore that Havenstein had a foot injury that he played through. Anyone wanna try playing ROT in the NFL with a bad wheel?

Gurley is an I Formation guy and just isn't the type of runner who looks to flourish in a shotgun offense.

I'm saying it now, if Goff just HAS to be in the shotgun, then Gurley will never perform here. Defenses will continue to see us as predictable, not because of scheme or play calling, but because if they adjust to mostly having Goff under center to hand off, that's a massive tell to the opposing D. Goff is going to have to get comfortable under center for Gurley to have a chance.

Gurley isn't Faulk. He's much, much closer to ED who needed that space to function.

The good news is that I think Goff can do it, that McVay is clear what both Goff and Gurley need and that his system is a really good fit for both of their talents.

The ONE thing that has to be there though is that Goff has to be super comfortable under Center. If he's not and they go shotgun a lot, then Gurley won't ever be what he looked to be after 2015.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Cardinals also have no one at #2 CB. Bethel isn't good and 2nd year guy Brandon Williams is inexperienced and untested.

At safety....Budda Baker looks like a great addition but that pick speaks more about Tyrann Mathieu being an injury bust moving forward and drafting insurance.

DVontel

Rookie
Cardinals also have no one at #2 CB. Bethel isn't good and 2nd year guy Brandon Williams is inexperienced and untested.

At safety....Budda Baker looks like a great addition but that pick speaks more about Tyrann Mathieu being an injury bust moving forward and drafting insurance.
It actually speaks more about replacing the departures of Tony Jefferson & DJ Swearinger.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Losing Ram killer Calais Campbell has gotta set the Cards back significantly.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It actually speaks more about replacing the departures of Tony Jefferson & DJ Swearinger.
Ehhhhh okay i guess. I usually defer to your opinion on all things Cards...i just know that losing #32 has caused alot of problems in your back seven the last couple seasons and for a guy who can't be counted on to be healthy...ya'll had to do something. Baker and Mathieu are virtually the same player.

DVontel

Rookie
@DVontel
What's your take on the Cards and Rams' drafts?
Cards:
Haason Reddick. Reminds me of a shorter Jamie Collins & Daryl Washington(hopefully without the off-field stuff) while being a better pass-rusher & athlete who has shown to do a great job in coverage.
Budda is sort of like Tyrann, not as good with the ball skills although he's a more natural FS than Tyrann is. He's just as instinctual & quicker too.
Chad Williams is another small school player who seems to have that edge to him. Good athlete also. Gotta do more studying on him.
Dorian Johnson was an absolute steal. Hopefully his liver condition stays under control not just for football sake, but his family & life sake, too.
Looks like we finally got a return man in T.J. Logan which is great.
I like the other 3 picks(Holden not as much as the others), but I have to study them some more.

I liked Josh Reynolds A LOT. I think he will & would develop into a solid WR2 anywhere. Should have a productive career.
Cooper Kupp was a solid pick. He won't burn anyone deep but he is a chain mover & will catch anything in sight.
John Johnson is another pick I like as well.

I have to study the rest of LAR's picks, but the picks I have mentioned were really good imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Where a few weeks back there was this whole pre-draft 'hole' (@OldSchool) controversy, I was inclined to disagree with him at that time, and stayed out of the debate, but today, i'd be with him. I see no 'holes' on this team at this time, ... yes, there are a few areas where depth may be considered a little thinner than at others, only naturally, but holes, I don't think so. I don't recall this much genuine unit competition in years, ... OL, WR, DL, LB, CB, we finally have some real talent fighting for several roles at both starter and reserve positions. I can't imagine us keeping a 3'rd QB with all the apparent talent elsewhere, that will be decided much later though, some of the camp battles this season look quite formidable. Reserve OT, reserve C, a potential 10'th man on the OL, who sticks on the roster at WR and who hits the practice squad, reserve defensive linemen, a 5'th possible OLB, and which CB hangs on to the last job available, ... this is gonna be one tough camp. jmo.

:party: for Rams fans, ... this team improves big time however it works itself out.