Big Three Issues require Attention

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
3. Penalties. This is the least disciplined team I've ever witnessed in nearly 50 years of watching the game. If you tack on the worst officiating I've seen (save the Replacements during the strike), this factor alone has created losses.

2. O Line failure. Trotting out Joseph, and to a slightly lesser degree Wells, is asinine. It is so patently obvious that virtually every fan and reporter agree. Think about it, isn't there usually some detractor somewhere in cyberspace? The ONLY group that doesn't agree stands on our sidelines.

1. Blitzing to oblivion and beyond. This defensive unit has more talent this year than it did last year yet is embarrassingly ineffective. For two years the Rams have performed at or near the top of the league in sacks and nearly the bottom in number of blitzes. Now those stats have reversed. Throw in the fact that it has obliterated the run defense and there is only one man to blame -- Gregg Friggin Williams. It's so very bad that I'm beginning to pine for Walton to return and teach our corners 20 yard cushions on third and three. Yeah, it's really that bad.

Wipe these away and this is no longer a team that stinks.

Rams0307

Issues 2 and 3 have constantly plagued this team for years. It's pathetic they haven't been able to fix either.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yes we've added some talent to the defenses but that has been more than cancelled by injury to Tru and CLong.

As far as the blitzing ,yeah I'd like to drop the backers into coverage more and give Quinn and Donald and the rest the time to get to the QB instead of letting teams throw into zero coverage.
I think penalties have probably been a focus this week and we should see some improvement there.
As far as the o-line goes , I think our o-line coach is one of the best and think those who think they are better judges of who we need playing are flattering themselves.
Finally ,this team doesn't stink,you could say we did against Minn. when they had Peterson and we had to throw Davis into the fire due to Hills injury , but we've been competitive or won the other three games

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
3. Penalties. This is the least disciplined team I've ever witnessed in nearly 50 years of watching the game.
I don't agree, and I've been watching for 63 years!

2. O Line failure. Trotting out Joseph, and to a slightly lesser degree Wells, is asinine. It is so patently obvious that virtually every fan and reporter agree. Think about it, isn't there usually some detractor somewhere in cyberspace? The ONLY group that doesn't agree stands on our sidelines.
I can agree about Joseph, but that's it. Those Gentlemen, on the side lines, have a better idea of what's really going on than we do!

1. Blitzing to oblivion and beyond. This defensive unit has more talent this year than it did last year yet is embarrassingly ineffective. For two years the Rams have performed at or near the top of the league in sacks and nearly the bottom in number of blitzes. Now those stats have reversed. Throw in the fact that it has obliterated the run defense and there is only one man to blame -- Gregg Friggin Williams. It's so very bad that I'm beginning to pine for Walton to return and teach our corners 20 yard cushions on third and three.
You have to realize there is a LOT more to a good D than just Sacks! QB pressure, QB Hits, Forcing them to constantly throw off their back foot. Just to name a few things!... You need to take a couple deep breaths and chill!

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't agree, and I've been watching for 63 years!

I can agree about Joseph, but that's it. Those Gentlemen, on the side lines, have a better idea of what's really going on than we do!

You have to realize there is a LOT more to a good D than just Sacks! QB pressure, QB Hits, Forcing them to constantly throw off their back foot. Just to name a few things!... You need to take a couple deep breaths and chill!
Are you saying you think Wells is fine? IMO, he's been awful. The only problem is that this team doesn't have any decent replacement for C.

I agree that sacks aren't everything but when we're leading the league in blitzes and are still at the bottom on sacks when we've been at the top in previous years, it does make you o_O. Also, the run D needs to step it up. I'm looking at Brockers, Langford, and the LB's specifically.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Are you saying you think Wells is fine? IMO, he's been awful. The only problem is that this team doesn't have any decent replacement for C.

I agree that sacks aren't everything but when we're leading the league in blitzes and are still at the bottom on sacks when we've been at the top in previous years, it does make you o_O. Also, the run D needs to step it up. I'm looking at Brockers, Langford, and the LB's specifically.
I wasn't saying wells is fine, just deferring to Fisher on that one! And as to the D Keep in mind they are STILL the "#1 rated Pass D" and Over-all, with all the improvement we need, The Rams D is Ranked 13th in the league! If not for just a couple of big runs, our run D stats would be Great!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That snap by Wells where he held the ball by his butt is the 2nd silliest C play I've ever seen. The first was my freshman year. I was filling in at QB from WR and the play was a QB sneak on 2. When I hit on the 1, the C fired off the ball and stood up, catching his tail pad under my face mask and pulling me along. When I got free I was clear of the LBers with room to run. There were 22 players on the field with a o_O look on their face after that play. I think we were the only two moving at first.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
It is kind of perplexing to see this D with only one sack. And the run D is fantastic about 85% of the time but those lapses that seem to result in 25, 35, or 55 yard scampers make you want to pull your hair out. It seems we can't get off the field on 3rd down and long sometimes.

AZRamsFan93

It is kind of perplexing to see this D with only one sack. And the run D is fantastic about 85% of the time but those lapses that seem to result in 25, 35, or 55 yard scampers make you want to pull your hair out. It seems we can't get off the field on 3rd down and long sometimes.
If a team runs the ball 3 times and the results are -2 yards, -2 yards, and 15 yards it's still a first down. For some reason fans on this forum take solace in the two negative runs. I see only a first down.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Issues 2 and 3 have constantly plagued this team for years. It's pathetic they haven't been able to fix either.
They signed long out of necessity.
They drafted Grob 2 overall.
They then tried to move back up and grab Martin from Dallas.
The organization knows the oline is an issue. Expect more attention to the position next offseason

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I think this thread could have been started with a little more class. Not digging it.

AZRamsFan93

Agreed.
They drafted Grob 2 overall.
The jury is still out on that decision.
They then tried to move back up and grab Martin from Dallas.
I don't remember that. Link? Did Snead state they had trade discussions with Dallas? What was offered?
The organization knows the oline is an issue. Expect more attention to the position next offseason
I agree that they know it is an issue. The question remains whether they have the ability to fix it.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I didn't see the Long signing as a necessity at all. The OL needed help, but we had an LT (though Saffold had durability issues).

It was more that they thought they were getting a big upgrade. And so far... no. I'd actually be surprised if Long is here next year, given that his contract was structured so that this season is fully guaranteed, but he can be cut next year with only $1.5 million in dead money.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don't have an issue with the thread itself but I'm editing the title. Sorry Leo - that ain't flying.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Personally, I'll agree to an extent on 1-3.

The penalties are aggravating - both real and zebra created. I really hope they get a handle on this and the league itself realizes the fans don't watch football to see how well the refs can throw a flag.

The O-line issues are really perplexing. Long looks to have lost some motion that allows him to seal that edge, I don't know what is going on with Wells, Joseph should not be beating out GRob (at least one would think). The line is a mess IMO and our line coach is one of the most respected line coaches in the league.

As to the D - I think our D would look a lot better if our players were doing a better job of getting off blocks. It seems to be the case on run and pass defense both. I'm not so sure that less blitzing is really the answer - maybe it is - but I don't see many blitzes where there is a free blitzer like I see so much with other games. It seems instead that the idea is to overwhelm the opposing O-line and our blitzers are not getting through the log jam.

But all in all I think it is the major disastrous WTF plays that are killing us. Our offense seems to be able to move the ball well. Our defense seems to be able to defend the pass and run fairly well. Until a play or ridiculous penalty gashes us on either side of the ball.

I agree though - what we are seeing is maddening. Still - I don't want to cut this staff loose as I see a lot of good things happening despite some big set backs. And I also see a very young and talented team and not a lot of coaches I'd rather have here.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Personally, I'll agree to an extent on 1-3.

The penalties are aggravating - both real and zebra created. I really hope they get a handle on this and the league itself realizes the fans don't watch football to see how well the refs can throw a flag.

The O-line issues are really perplexing. Long looks to have lost some motion that allows him to seal that edge, I don't know what is going on with Wells, Joseph should not be beating out GRob (at least one would think). The line is a mess IMO and our line coach is one of the most respected line coaches in the league.

As to the D - I think our D would look a lot better if our players were doing a better job of getting off blocks. It seems to be the case on run and pass defense both. I'm not so sure that less blitzing is really the answer - maybe it is - but I don't see many blitzes where there is a free blitzer like I see so much with other games. It seems instead that the idea is to overwhelm the opposing O-line and our blitzers are not getting through the log jam.

But all in all I think it is the major disastrous WTF plays that are killing us. Our offense seems to be able to move the ball well. Our defense seems to be able to defend the pass and run fairly well. Until a play or ridiculous penalty gashes us on either side of the ball.

I agree though - what we are seeing is maddening. Still - I don't want to cut this staff loose as I see a lot of good things happening despite some big set backs. And I also see a very young and talented team and not a lot of coaches I'd rather have here.

Seems like this has been an issue for a decade. Every year, this team shows "potential". They seem to find a way to give away, on average, three games during the course of a season. It's maddening when you end up with a close to .500 record and you poo poo away 3 Ws. Surely, we fans are due a season without this damning trait from our team and the refs of course.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Big three issues that require attention?

Arizona 3-1
Seattle 3-1
San Francisco 3-2

St Louis 1-3

AZ and Seattle are both winning at the moment.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seems like this has been an issue for a decade. Every year, this team shows "potential". They seem to find a way to give away, on average, three games during the course of a season. It's maddening when you end up with a close to .500 record and you poo poo away 3 Ws. Surely, we fans are due a season without this damning trait from our team and the refs of course.
You are correct. We are due - just don't know when that check will arrive.