Big Fish abruptly ended press conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Both he and Snead need to go away. He said anyone who questions the teams effort can kiss his ass. I've been questioning their effort for the the last decade. It seems to me the results of the games mean more to us fans than anyone on the team. Fisher thinks he is a good coach, I don't know who is giving him false information. His ego is writing checks his "talent" can't cover.
But they're only been here for four. Please elaborate...

fearsomefour

Legend
Many here have questioned Cooks drive, Mason is known to have missed meetings and team travel, there have been rumors that JRob is "tough" to get into the film room.
Here is the problem with that line of thinking....there is no way for us to know.
I have been critical of Cook and some of his short comings as a player, but, I have never questioned his effort. There is no way I could know his effort. The concern about Robinson not approaching game prep as a pro was a real concern if it is still true....it may or may not be. We don't have a way of knowing.
In my opinion it is pretty unfair to assert a player isn't trying or doesn't care based on watching a few plays on a tv. A guy like Cook has some shortcomings as a player, but, he is playing against other players that are in the top portions of the top 1% of players in the sport. Any shortcomings are going to be exposed from time to time. A guy may use bad technique, may get sloppy with hand placement on a block or may lose the edge on a block for example because he is not quick or is being asked to execute something he does not excel at....it may look bad, but, it does not mean he is not trying.
Working with guys trying to improve their throwing velocity (pitchers) I have had the opportunity to see what pro guys do to work toward this end. Six to eight hours a day, five or six days a week would be the norm with the programming they were doing. That is what most people work in their day jobs of course. Nothing crazy about that. But, if you asked most people, even a lot in baseball, what do pitchers do in their offseason they would probably say, play catch and some jogging. In other words, appearances often dont mean much.
With a roster of 53 guys or whatever it is never going to be a group of 53 robots with the same work ethic, level of ability, free of personal problems, or even 53 guys that get along. It is just pretty unfair I think to single out a couple of players and basically say "this guy doesnt try"....like I said of the reporter asking about it, it is insulting really.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Who built that O-line? Who brought in that QB? Players don't just magically appear on the team, those are on Fisher. If they suck, then why shouldn't he be held responsible for how they suck?

And we weren't all that much better when our team wasn't injured, GRob hasn't been executing all year, Barnes isn't much better, Reynolds is up and down. Havenstein and Brown were the only ones of our O-line who were playing consistently well, the minute they went down it all started to go to shambles. Injuries don't help, but losing two guys shouldn't spell the doom for a group.

So all ten, or so lineman that make our team should be solid starters? And you think it only went to shit when JB and Rob went down? I guess Saffold, Williams, and Donnal don't count as injuries to the position group. You go find me three teams in the league that has solid starters all the way straight to the tenth man up. Then your statement can make at least a little sense.

fearsomefour

Legend
And EJ Gaines. Man, what a list we have now on both sides of the ball.
If....IF ALERT....IF ALERT.....IF the Rams can bring back JJ and Johnson, McLeod and Barron the D back field could really be special. JJ, Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, Roberson, McDonald, Barron, McLeod, Alexander....could be a very good and very deep group.
The rest of the season may prove a good tool to help develop some depth on the O line with players like Wichmann and Rhaney.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Who built that O-line? Who brought in that QB? Players don't just magically appear on the team, those are on Fisher. If they suck, then why shouldn't he be held responsible for how they suck?

And we weren't all that much better when our team wasn't injured, GRob hasn't been executing all year, Barnes isn't much better, Reynolds is up and down. Havenstein and Brown were the only ones of our O-line who were playing consistently well, the minute they went down it all started to go to shambles. Injuries don't help, but losing two guys shouldn't spell the doom for a group.

Saying it all comes down to dislike and wanting to irrationally hate on him is lazy, and refusing to look at his 'accolades' as a whole.
So you don't think they were better when they beat the seahawks and cards than in the last 4 games? Odd

And you think there are coaches out there who could have won with the mess at QB we had playing last year? Or you could have gotten better back ups at QB? That would have been???

You're the one running with this nonsense even after several people have given ample information to counter your opinion. Nothing wrong with having and opinion, it just doesn't make it factual.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't see how asking a question about effort is considered insulting. Seems like just a few days ago that we were hearing of GRob's less than stellar effort during the week. It's one player sure, but many are trying to figure out what's wrong with the team. Questions about an teams effort after a huge beating is pretty standard.

There were several things about this Sunday that were insulting. The press conference contained none of them.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
So all ten, or so lineman that make our team should be solid starters? And you think it only went to crap when JB and Rob went down? I guess Saffold, Williams, and Donnal don't count as injuries to the position group. You go find me three teams in the league that has solid starters all the way straight to the tenth man up. Then your statement can make at least a little sense.
Our team looked great with them in? Saffold was graded negatively almost every game he was in before he went out, and has honestly been better than him completely, but I feel like that should have been expected when the Raiders of all people gave up on him. Donnal was graded the worst when he came in the first game of his career and Williams was actually really good spelling Havenstein, but our O-line play wasn't great with them in.

So you don't think they were better when they beat the seahawks and cards than in the last 4 games? Odd

And you think there are coaches out there who could have won with the mess at QB we had playing last year? Or you could have gotten better back ups at QB? That would have been???

You're the one running with this nonsense even after several people have given ample information to counter your opinion. Nothing wrong with having and opinion, it just doesn't make it factual.
And when we were losing bad to the Bears? And Not able to score more than 12 on the Packers? Or The Skins or the Steelers, you guys keep trying to say I'm cherrypicking, but these games just disappear out of nowhere. There's a whole list of games we played ineffectually before the injuries started setting in.

There were draft options out there? Why could we not have drafted any QBs? Why did we wait until our only option was Garret Gilbert? There were better options, Vick, Sanchez and Weeden were all sitting out there and we went for Shaun Hill and a guy we had recently put out of football. Why does everyone act like there was nothing we could do?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Our team looked great with them in? Saffold was graded negatively almost every game he was in before he went out, and has honestly been better than him completely, but I feel like that should have been expected when the Raiders of all people gave up on him. Donnal was graded the worst when he came in the first game of his career and Williams was actually really good spelling Havenstein, but our O-line play wasn't great with them in.

And when we were losing bad to the Bears? And Not able to score more than 12 on the Packers? Or The Skins or the Steelers, you guys keep trying to say I'm cherrypicking, but these games just disappear out of nowhere. There's a whole list of games we played ineffectually before the injuries started setting in.

There were draft options out there? Why could we not have drafted any QBs? Why did we wait until our only option was Garret Gilbert? There were better options, Vick, Sanchez and Weeden were all sitting out there and we went for Shaun Hill and a guy we had recently put out of football. Why does everyone act like there was nothing we could do?

Bears game was abysmal there is no denying it, especially on the defensive side when they needed a shutout against a weak team. Green Bay in GB no one expected them to win that game but they did compete in spite of some calls that should have happened like the crown to the chest that Matthews put on Foles. Just my opinion but I believe that shot is what crushed Foles' season and he has not recovered from it.

Draft picks, yeah there were opportunities to take a QB here and there but this team sucked so bad they had wholes at every position to fill and QB was not one of them, everyone expected Bradford to be the guy and if not for the freak knee injury in Carolina he would be. Hindsight id great but not reality.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think Todd Gurley would give you a Hell Yeah!

With them in, 30 was breaking records.

I'm out dude
Gurley didn't play with with Saffold extensively, Donnal was graded the worst guard in the league in a game where Gurley only got 89 and an avg of 3.8 and the Chicago game was even worse. So it's a bit preemptive on the hell yea for Saffold, Donnal and Williams.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Bears game was abysmal there is no denying it, especially on the defensive side when they needed a shutout against a weak team. Green Bay in GB no one expected them to win that game but they did compete in spite of some calls that should have happened like the crown to the chest that Matthews put on Foles. Just my opinion but I believe that shot is what crushed Foles' season and he has not recovered from it.

Draft picks, yeah there were opportunities to take a QB here and there but this team sucked so bad they had wholes at every position to fill and QB was not one of them, everyone expected Bradford to be the guy and if not for the freak knee injury in Carolina he would be. Hindsight id great but not reality.
And the Skins and the Steelers?

That's good for 2013, which I don't hold against Fisher anyways, but after he just tore his ACL and you admittedly rushed him back and actually did take a QB with a pick? Obviously it was in your mind, why wait so long before pulling the trigger on some guy you didn't even bother to keep when the chips went down again?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Here is the problem with that line of thinking....there is no way for us to know.
I have been critical of Cook and some of his short comings as a player, but, I have never questioned his effort. There is no way I could know his effort. The concern about Robinson not approaching game prep as a pro was a real concern if it is still true....it may or may not be. We don't have a way of knowing.
In my opinion it is pretty unfair to assert a player isn't trying or doesn't care based on watching a few plays on a tv. A guy like Cook has some shortcomings as a player, but, he is playing against other players that are in the top portions of the top 1% of players in the sport. Any shortcomings are going to be exposed from time to time. A guy may use bad technique, may get sloppy with hand placement on a block or may lose the edge on a block for example because he is not quick or is being asked to execute something he does not excel at....it may look bad, but, it does not mean he is not trying.
Working with guys trying to improve their throwing velocity (pitchers) I have had the opportunity to see what pro guys do to work toward this end. Six to eight hours a day, five or six days a week would be the norm with the programming they were doing. That is what most people work in their day jobs of course. Nothing crazy about that. But, if you asked most people, even a lot in baseball, what do pitchers do in their offseason they would probably say, play catch and some jogging. In other words, appearances often dont mean much.
With a roster of 53 guys or whatever it is never going to be a group of 53 robots with the same work ethic, level of ability, free of personal problems, or even 53 guys that get along. It is just pretty unfair I think to single out a couple of players and basically say "this guy doesnt try"....like I said of the reporter asking about it, it is insulting really.

So what is the reporter supposed to do, it is great to talk about the players job, but the reporter also a has job.

Take Cook for example: So I guess the reporter could dance around it...but lets be honest those questions have been run through - why is Cook, paid like a top end TE not producing like it? Did you over value his abilities? (now we are questioning his talent is that allowed?) Does he have a health issue that is preventing him from producing equal to his pay? (now we imply the coaches are lying about his health status) Why can't the OC find ways to get him more involved and up his production? (now lets blame the coaches) Does he have focus issues, he drops lots of passes? (now we question his focus/ability/smarts)

The fact of the matter is that we all ask these question, and asking about effort is reasonable. It would be no different than no other shortcoming, maybe it is the players fault, maybe it is the coaches.

You say you can't know his effort...that is why the media, doing its job, is supposed to ask. They are supposed to get answers to such questions for the fans, because the rest of us don't get a chance to ask.

You say you work with pitchers...so take Rick Ankiel...should the media never ask if he was mentally broken? Would that be "insulting"? As a fan that is what appears to have happened, what was rumored at the time.
The signs pointed to a mental break (not a nervous breakdown, but an issue with performance pitching), I look at some of the players on the Rams and the signs point at effort, no I don't know, heck the coach likely never knows (cause what players comes to the sideline and says "my bad I half assed that"), but it reasonable to ask given the visual evidence.

That and honestly every professional athlete SHOULD know that a lack of on field performance can lead to that question.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Weren't you pretty high on the Rams picking up Foles, and 100% behind Cignetti early on?
If they're the issue behind this offense (in addition to multiple OL injuries), then who are you holding accountable now?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I have no problem with Fishers presser. Took me a while to read through this thread. I saw Fish' 'kiss my ass' comment at halftime of the broncos vs patriots. The comment made me smile. I like the guy. And I couldn't agree more. I also smile thinking about the effort Tavon had today. Playing with a heavy heart, he was a goddamn gladiator.

There's a lot that went south on the team this season. But with all the challenges, Nick Foles is not the guy you want under center when the "going gets tough".

I see breakdowns all the time in games. There are good plays, and bad plays. Good series and bad series.
I realize we have had a lot of injuries. The O-line is decimated and GRob is not playing well. But they battle.

The Quarterback play has always been what's bothered me most. That position has to be pin point. You have to hit guys in stride. You have to be a field general. Its a position that requires "skill" and and its a position that requires "it".

Anybody that claims they know what "it" is with quarterback position is just rolling the dice and guessing when a jump to the next level is involved. Case Keenum had it in college. Not the pros so far.
Kurt Warner? How the hell was that guy not declared the starter in pre-season of 99? Sometimes you don't know who has "it" until they are thrown in the fire.

Nick Foles and his "we just got to keep it between the chains". That fucking statement has been bothering me all week. I googled it. He popped up in most of the searches. He's been using that line since his college days. I fundamentally hate that mind-set. It's basically saying we "have to prevent negative" plays. Tom Brady plays to win. He doesn't play not to lose. The greats are great. Everything around them can be revolving and full of chaos, but they put a catch-able ball on their guy in stride. (like a goddamn 300 bowler, precision.)

So my gripe is this: better quarterback play could have been the biggest thing to hold the team together this year when injuries mounted.
Why start another team's cast off as your primary under center? How did Russel Wilson get the starting gig his rookie year? In all the years I've followed football, and maybe I'm full of shit, but I could tell the quarterback had something day one. I honestly think Austin Davis could have gotten us 300 yards a game average and been a weapon for us this year. What do I know.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
And the Skins and the Steelers?

That's good for 2013, which I don't hold against Fisher anyways, but after he just tore his ACL and you admittedly rushed him back and actually did take a QB with a pick? Obviously it was in your mind, why wait so long before pulling the trigger on some guy you didn't even bother to keep when the chips went down again?
I don't think they rushed him back too early but I do think it was a mistake to play him behind Long who was definitely coming back too early.

No one hits on every draft pick, Snead and Fisher have had a good success rate

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Weren't you pretty high on the Rams picking up Foles, and 100% behind Cignetti early on?
If they're the issue behind this offense (in addition to multiple OL injuries), then who are you holding accountable now?
I actually only came aboard to Foles after the first game. I wasn't much of a fan of the trade initially and had hesitations about extending him before he had played a game for us. I admit, it was mostly because I was 100% in on Bradford, but I thought I could happily eat crow, then he started to play like the Foles that got traded for a rental who hadn't played for almost 2 years and things quickly soured.

And Cigs I was in on, all he has to do is be better than Schott, which he has proven. He's had his boneheaded playcalling for sure but I still can't put 100% of the blame on him, because this is his first year and lets be real... He's not the architect of this offense, he can only do the most with what he's given and he wasn't given much to begin with.

Ultimately, I blame them all. I've made it no secret that I'm not a fan of Foles play and that I thought anybody could be better, hell one of those posts ended up being best ROD quotes. I haven't hit Cignetti as hard as I could, because at this point he's an unknown quantity and has shown me flashes and hasn't shown that these flashes won't culminate in nothing yet.

But ultimately you can blame the employees for not being good if you want,but eventually you've got to blame the man who keeps bringing ineffectual employees.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't think they rushed him back too early but I do think it was a mistake to play him behind Long who was definitely coming back too early.

No one hits on every draft pick, Snead and Fisher have had a good success rate
Yeah, but the chance of finding a hit at any position, much less the QB position in the sixth is slim to none. I think we can name all the great sixth round QBs on one hand.

I can accept Donald and even Robinson, but putting another second into a safety when we already had our starting safeties that absolutely nobody appears capable of shaking up? Then a third on a running back when we were supposed to be all in on Stacy and then putting it off until the sixth? I don't really think it's hindsight to say like finding somebody to spell your injured QB is a little bit more important than depth picks.