BG's OTA Observations: June 17

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
BG's OTA Observations: June 17

I'd say defense was better yesterday than offense. Offense moved better today.With brace on Sam doesn't limp. Jake Long has a much much more noticeable limp.

Got some info on schemes, but would rather reveal when rams run it and use it on stills.

Quick was excellent today, TJ Moe killed it in 2 minute drill for 2nd day in a row. He goes 100% all the time and catches everything. I'd never noticed before, but the reason Pettis slips too much on return and pigtail routes is he's skinny legged . . . don't know how he did that amazing short shuttle at combine.

Quick caught a contested one, and ran crisp routes, and with ease got deep.

Pead looked good again. I'm told Pead always looks good in practice. However, there was one disappointing play. He was a single back and JL was playing LLB in this scheme and that meant he was the first back out of backfield, Sean Hill audibles Pead to motion to JLs side and he ran a go route, but JL kept up with him. The defensive quality control coach called Pead out, said "JL locked your a$$ up" . .

But Pead caught the ball well. Quick squared off two routes very crisply and Sam put the ball on him and he snagged them out of the air. Both were deep ins (Dig routes). You have to remember, they only have a max of 2 hours on the field, 10 minutes of that is stretching and 30-40 minutes is position drills, so there are not tons of reps . . .which is why info is sketchy.

My sense is they want those 2 #2 picks to work out and they are investing time in OTAs to give them reps, help them shine. But they have Mason and Britt as insurance. Mason gets very few reps so far this week, but maybe they like him enough . . . but Pead is getting a good long look this week

Both DTs out today. Donald and Conrath were with 1s today. JJ is back . . . was out yesterday. Tru still didn't practice. Media was there today, yesterday they weren't saw some of boards favorites but enemy #1 was not there.

Steward stood out yesterday, he was playing RLB with the 1s in place of Dunbar. Today, Dunabr was with the 1st until late, and he took a knee and Steward got on field in the 2 minute drill for maybe 3-4 plays.

Williams has 43 packages we will see this season. Sometimes it may be 1-2-3 plays a game from those exotic packages, but the key is teams will have to prepare for them. It may take 10 minutes of practice per package, because they are similar . .. but opposing teams have to spend up to 1/2 hour or a bit more to figure out who the MIKE is, and who will rush or drop.. So it's a game of using the limits of practice time to spread opposing offenses thin in prep time.

Donald is very quick...

(I know---news flash) However they have one drill where they are to hit the bags with both hands in a certain sequence, kind of like a boxing combination, for lack of better explanation, and the DL coach wants to hear a "pop" with both blows. Donald gets very little pop on his second hit, both a few weeks ago and this week the coach yells "I wanna hear both hands" and with Donald you can't. With Long, Quinn, Sims, you can. Even with Sam and Westbrooks you can. But, other than that he's all that and more. The Rams next choice would have been Tuitt, but not in round 1. Had Donald gone early, and things were different they liked Tuitt in 2nd round, of course depending if they may have dropped from 13 if Donald were gone. Anyway, the guy from Buffalo [Carrington] looks much better to me than Conrath. If Rams keep 4 DTs I would guess Conrath is gone. DL coach is frustrated in film room since he grades every rep by every player every day. and without Brockers and Langford, he's not getting to do as much "constructive criticism". Donald looks tiny, though, but he's running with the 1s now.

Britt, okay, but not special. heat index 114 today, Britt one of 2 Rams who got cramps

. They love Joyner in nickle . . .he had a good play that got defense yelling. However, McGee may secure dime . . . EJ Gaines may have to settle for 5th CB . . .again . . . it's early.

In position drills I am on the defensive side. The offense is on the other field, then the D goes to the offensive side for team stuff and everyone collects there. I am more interested in what Bush, Bowden, Cecil, and Waufle are doing.

Spoke to Shotty and GW for a few minutes each, was at dinner with GW and a bunch of his coaching buddies last night. Gilbert got yelled out for not putting enough touch on a swing pass to RB. Fish spends no time with defense, is always with the O.

I did hear that Rams had a 3-4th round grade on M. Sam. So, it wasn't for PR, taking him, it's a value pick. Sam is explosive but a bit jerky. Westbrooks is smoother and quicker, but no way to tell who is better. Sam is backing up Long and Hayes on the left (except Hayes is out this week) and Westbrooks is backing up Quinn and Sims. It is neck and neck so far and will stay that way. They may and try and stash one on PS .

. .As Demoff said, and I heard it from GW and another coach that Rams will cut guys from DL and DB groups that will make other teams.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Great Breakdown today I really enjoyed it. I haven't heard much about TA not sure what that means.
Good stuff RamBill

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
They know what Tavon can do. Let the "tweeners" get their reps. My 2 cents.
Yeah, you are probably right I am just curious. All reports are that the game has slowed for TA and he is more comfortable. I just feel like second year guys especially those that either struggled or are coming off of injury can benefit from OTA's