Between the Horns Podcast: How Attractive is the Rams Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams insider Myles Simmons and Super Bowl Champion DT D’Marco Farr recap Los Angeles’ loss to San Francisco, examine why LT Greg Robinson was deactivated for a second time, and discuss how attractive the Rams’ head coaching job might be compared to others around the league.

Listen to Between the Horns Podcast

Go to the 34 minute point for Coaching discussion

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There are many pros and cons to the position. If it's a first time guy the biggest pro is a shot to be a HC, period. It wouldn't matter what team it was, it's THE big break in the NFL.

Beyond that I can sit here and argue both sides solidly.

However, GM is a bigger fish as far as I'm concerned.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
However, GM is a bigger fish as far as I'm concerned.

And this is why I could see the Rams hiring Scott Pioli for example first because it would take the pressure of the organization as you hire a top and well connected executive, who has worked with both Kyle Shanahan & Josh McDaniels and if it's truly comes down to those two, one would surmise that Scott Pioli would have the best information possible on which one would be the most successful.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And this is why I could see the Rams hiring Scott Pioli for example first because it would take the pressure of the organization as you hire a top and well connected executive, who has worked with both Kyle Shanahan & Josh McDaniels and if it's truly comes down to those two, one would surmise that Scott Pioli would have the best information possible on which one would be the most successful.

I think that the new GM if that ends up happening (I'm perfectly fine with Snead myself) should be hired before the HC.

I think the HC should not have anything to do with selecting players and limited input into the roster decisions.

I think the HC should hire his guys and leave the OC and DC alone so that they can do their work. If it's a guy who is an offensive guy hire someone he trusts to plug in his system and then oversee it, don't run it. Same with defense.

I think 80% of HC's are about the same thing and the other 20% are split between guys who really stink at it and guys who are really good at it in varying degrees. What matters to a HC's success more than anything is the GM and QB. Owner too but even bad owners can be worked around.

I think I should be King.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
OK. Let's assume, for conversations sake, It ends up Pioli at GM and Sahanahan as HC, and that's Fine by me! To me the new OC, DC and STC and all those assistants are REALLY, REALLY Important! We have seen what poor Coaching has done to this Team, and I blame that on a lot of piss-poor-assistant Offensive Coaches!!
Pioli may be great at getting players, but we have a pretty good group to start with, and Shanahan may be Gods gift to scheming and Play calling. BUT IF those Coaches don't know how to Coach we are screwed!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't see how LA wouldn't be attractive.

When there have been coaching changes in the past, there were discussions about how hard it might be to lure someone to St. Louis.

That excuse is gone now.

Kroenke has the money... he has the glamour... he has a few nice players and a brand spanking new stadium being built.

I can't see any reason why he can't get the very best available out there this time.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
LA is the it place. This is the BEST place to be a head coach. Chances are will plan to rebuild and say the right things so that can be a winner once the new stadium is built. This isn't a two year stop gap solution, if so they would have kept Fisher. This really smells like the real deal, wanting to put a winning team in LA for good.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That was a great listen, thanks for sharing @den-the-coach. Thoughts in no particular order:

Farr KILLS IT with the point that drops are just as bad as penalties to kill drives and hurt the team, and asks the key question we discussed here ad nauseum: WHY HAVEN'T THE PASS CATCHERS BEEN BENCHED YET??? This is a central flaw of the Fisher regime, the complete and total lack of accountability. But guess what... Kendricks will start on Sunday yet again. So will Quick probably. It's pathetic and we can't get a good coach in here quickly enough.

The Rams are the top job this offseason. I have heard Kirwan and others that are plugged in, guys I really respect and enjoy listening to and who aren't trying to make a name for themselves by being contrary to what is obvious, discussing that very point with the same answer. Stan Kroenke is the guy who solved LA with a massive influx of money and creativity, he gave Jeff "BS" Fisher a full five years just about, and he pays well. We see all the holes, but all teams have them and the Rams have some key and difficult to fill positions covered.

EDIT: also Higbee, enjoyed hearing mention of what I saw as well during camp, which was the enormous and obvious talent of 89.

Last edited: