Better Tandem For Stl... Watkins/lewan Or Robinson/evans?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Better tandem for STL..

• Total voters

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
And if the Rams draft him, I will absolutely hope you're right. But it shouldn't be shocking that most respondents to the poll seem to disagree.

If we didn't have Long, I think the decision would be a lot more clear-cut. But I think Fisher/Snead know that if they draft a tackle, they'd be seen as admitting Long's signing was a blunder.

How confident are you that Long can stay healthy all season? Also will he be available to even start this year? Drafting Matthews to me seems easy. He could start the season LG or LT depending on Long health. Matthews to me is 2 picks for the price of one. We need a LG and depth at LT. Matthews provides both.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
How confident are you that Long can stay healthy all season? Also will he be available to even start this year? Drafting Matthews to me seems easy. He could start the season LG or LT depending on Long health. Matthews to me is 2 picks for the price of one. We need a LG and depth at LT. Matthews provides both.
If that's the Rams' train of thought going into the draft, then they're admitting the Long signing was a blunder. They should be held accountable for that blunder.

That said, every indication is that Long will be healthy to start next year. And I don't think you use your top pick on a "what if" scenario when you have an actual absence (#1 WR) that can be addressed instead (with the actual absence of guard addressable later or through FA).

Some have different opinions. That's fine. Nobody is wrong.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If that's the Rams' train of thought going into the draft, then they're admitting the Long signing was a blunder. They should be held accountable for that blunder.

That said, every indication is that Long will be healthy to start next year. And I don't think you use your top pick on a "what if" scenario when you have an actual absence (#1 WR) that can be addressed instead (with the actual absence of guard addressable later or through FA).

Some have different opinions. That's fine. Nobody is wrong.

Fair points but you may also have a hole at RT in 2015 with Barksdale. When he becomes a FA you more options to make a decision with. As for Long he has the same injury that James Carpenter of Seattle had in 2011. Carpenter was injured in November of 2011 and did not return till October of the following year. Its a 9 month recovery and rehab, minimum. I hope you are correct but I don't see him ready for the season opener. Add to the fact his injury history, I doubt Fisher is going to rush him back. I would guess he misses half the season. To me LT is a huge need and with the resources we invested in WR and TE the last 2 years draft a WR at #2 is approaching Detroit Lions territory. Matthews could play LT, RT and LG. He creates depth and flexibility in an area we have a huge need at. Right now the only player we can say with any confidence on the oline that is coming back next year is Barksdale.

I agree nobody is wrong but I have no problem holding them accountable for Long but after drafting Austin, Quick, signing Cook and still have a huge need at receiver....well they need to be held accountable for that too.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Fair points but you may also have a hole at RT in 2015 with Barksdale. When he becomes a FA you more options to make a decision with. As for Long he has the same injury that James Carpenter of Seattle had in 2011. Carpenter was injured in November of 2011 and did not return till October of the following year. Its a 9 month recovery and rehab, minimum. I hope you are correct but I don't see him ready for the season opener. Add to the fact his injury history, I doubt Fisher is going to rush him back. I would guess he misses half the season. To me LT is a huge need and with the resources we invested in WR and TE the last 2 years draft a WR at #2 is approaching Detroit Lions territory. Matthews could play LT, RT and LG. He creates depth and flexibility in an area we have a huge need at. Right now the only player we can say with any confidence on the oline that is coming back next year is Barksdale.

I agree nobody is wrong but I have no problem holding them accountable for Long but after drafting Austin, Quick, signing Cook and still have a huge need at receiver....well they need to be held accountable for that too.
One nice thing about the draft being in May is that the Rams have a nice long time to evaluate Long's progress recovering. I agree it changes things if it looks like Long won't be ready for the season opener (or soon after). It also changes things whether or not we can resign Saffold.

And I don't see the same accountability need at WR. Long was signed be LT when we already had a LT (Saffold). Now, we're already talking about drafting a LT again. Conversely, of your list there, the only one who was possibly thought of as a #1 WR was Quick. Austin is a specialized weapon, not a #1, and Cook is a TE (though one can argue his signing was a blunder too.)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
And I don't see the same accountability need at WR. Long was signed be LT when we already had a LT (Saffold). Now, we're already talking about drafting a LT again. Conversely, of your list there, the only one who was possibly thought of as a #1 WR was Quick. Austin is a specialized weapon, not a #1, and Cook is a TE (though one can argue his signing was a blunder too.)

Good points.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
One nice thing about the draft being in May is that the Rams have a nice long time to evaluate Long's progress recovering. I agree it changes things if it looks like Long won't be ready for the season opener (or soon after). It also changes things whether or not we can resign Saffold.

Correct on both and excuse my negative attitude on the oline lol. I just get this feeling that Saffold is walking and Long wont be ready. Jon Asamoah would be a nice and cost effective solution via FA to start.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Correct on both and excuse my negative attitude on the oline lol. I just get this feeling that Saffold is walking and Long wont be ready. Jon Asamoah would be a nice and cost effective solution via FA to start.
Now don't get me wrong. I agree that somewhere down the line, tackle will need to be addressed, and guard needs to be addressed RIGHT NOW, especially if Saffold walks. (I would like a FA and Yankey or Su'a-Filo if that's the case.)