Best team nicknames

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Slideshow (Rams take 3 spots) ...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000215934/best-team-nicknames" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap10000 ... -nicknames</a>

moklerman

Warner-phile
There are some real good one's on there but I do have a couple of gripes. First, I've never even heard of "the Legion of Boom" so that it's on the list is curious enough but to be ahead of some of the other classics is just silly to me.

Second, I'd have rather he dug a little deeper and added one more team to the list rather than listing the Fearsome Foursome twice. It weakens his credibility to be such a homer. The Dirty Birds, Ground Chuck, The K-Gun, Marty Ball, The Sack Pack, The Pewter Pirates...there were plenty to choose from to round out the list.

Didn't the 50's Rams go by the Razzle Dazzle Rams? I thought that was going to be the third of three Rams nicknames on the list.

I agree that Fearsome Foursome is one of the best nicknames ever and am glad that it "won", but it isn't the best article there ever was.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He could have given the Fearsome Foursome name to the Vikings at the #2 spot if he wanted. They weren't as good as the Rams' version, but they did share the name at least back in the late 60's.

nighttrain

Legend
moklerman said:
There are some real good one's on there but I do have a couple of gripes. First, I've never even heard of "the Legion of Boom" so that it's on the list is curious enough but to be ahead of some of the other classics is just silly to me.

Second, I'd have rather he dug a little deeper and added one more team to the list rather than listing the Fearsome Foursome twice. It weakens his credibility to be such a homer. The Dirty Birds, Ground Chuck, The K-Gun, Marty Ball, The Sack Pack, The Pewter Pirates...there were plenty to choose from to round out the list.

Didn't the 50's Rams go by the Razzle Dazzle Rams? I thought that was going to be the third of three Rams nicknames on the list.

I agree that Fearsome Foursome is one of the best nicknames ever and am glad that it "won", but it isn't the best article there ever was.
i think the 50's Rams had two huge RB's, one was Deacon Dan Fowler, the other Tank Younger, their nick name escapes me, but is was something like the twin hogs backfield. any way won the division and lost in the championship to the Browns.
train

moklerman

Warner-phile
nighttrain said:
moklerman said:

i think the 50's Rams had two huge RB's, one was Deacon Dan Fowler, the other Tank Younger, their nick name escapes me, but is was something like the twin hogs backfield. any way won the division and lost in the championship to the Browns.
train
I guess those '50's teams were just stacked. Fowler and Younger were pro-bowlers but I always think of Van Brocklin, Waterfield, Hirsch, Fears and the passing game as their "identity". 33 points a game and the championship in '51 should garner a nickname though.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
X said:
He could have given the Fearsome Foursome name to the Vikings at the #2 spot if he wanted. They weren't as good as the Rams' version, but they did share the name at least back in the late 60's.

I always thought those guys were called "the Purple People Eaters."

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I always liked the Cardiac Cardinals. I know they frequently tried to give me one. :lol:

nighttrain

Legend
PrometheusFaulk said:
X said:

purple people eaters it was
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PrometheusFaulk said:
X said:

They were. But they were the fearsome foursome too at one point. Just not as well known as the L.A. RAMS version.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
X said:

They were. But they were the fearsome foursome too at one point. Just not as well known as the L.A. RAMS version.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah - though the Rams made it really famous and were by far the best, we had the third fearsome foursome IIRR. Purple People Eaters came a decade or so later. Hated those guys.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And what is it about Toledo? Our HS team is called the Boomers (a large rodent) and we all know about the Mud Hens.