Best song cover of all time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some great ones already posted. Here's one of my faves - yet another Stones cover

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Can't believe no one has mentioned Jeff Buckley's cover of Cohen's Hallelujah. Superior to the original in every way and by far the best cover version of that song.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the best cover jimi hendrix ever did was his version of the sam cooke song good times (or somebody else? there were a few songs with similar names). jimi called it come on (let the good times roll).

now this isn't the best version of the song. you have to hear it on his electric ladyland album - such a great song.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guns and Roses did a heck of a job on Live and Let Die

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Lots of Bob's kids in this... both sons and daughters. They put their mark on their Pop's song. I like this one better than their Pop's.

This is the only YouTube vid of this I can find. Ignore the foreign language lyrics...

fearsomefour

Legend
For the classic metal flavor.....
Iron Maiden, Cross Eyed Mary
Judas Priest, Diamonds and Rust (acoustic version)
For the bands no one has heard of flavor....
Donald Wilson Quintet, Straight No Chaser

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Here's a couple covers of "You Really Got Me" that I like...

Oingo Boingo

Van Halen

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Ohh...and anyone that does a Bob Dylan song BESIDES Bob Dylan.

This won't be popular, but that's is exactly how I feel about the Beatles. Aerosmith's cover of Come Together really does it for me though. And I really love the Five Finger Death Punch cover of Bad Company.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
* Eagles - Hotel California
* Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
( Add anything by Jimmy Hendrix!!)

Edit: Also;
* pointer Sisters - Neutron Dance. or
* Pointer Sisters - Yes we Can Can

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm a fan of Van Morrison but i actually like this cover better. Great energy.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I have a particular view on doing covers. IMO if you cover someone else's work and you decide to take it somewhere very left field to the original, and drastically put your own touch on it...it had better be GOOD. I mean REALLY good. Otherwise and more often than not, i'm not a big fan of artists/bands trying to reinvent the wheel when remaking or covering a song.

For my money, this works:

I prefer covers that are more inline with what the original was trying to do or project...sonically. Putting a different touch on it is cool. If the original tune was vanilla ice cream...creating strawberry ice cream with sprinkles is a good way to go IMO. Don't change ice cream into a cheeseburger.
Example: Metallica(great band) covering Bob Seger's "Turn the Page." Terrible IMO.

Here's one I like that doesn't stray too far from the original: