Best Rams RB Poll

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could Faulk have gotten 1,800 and 2,100 with no quarter back the way Dickerson did?
If Charles white and Greg Bell could put up 4+ yards per carry then I think Faulk could have gotten 1,800 yards if he'd been given the ball 400 times. Especially behind that o-line.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Dickerson had 1k more yards rushing in his career and a .2 better ypc. That's where his superiority over Faulk ends. Faulk is better in every other category you could come up with.

Faulk had almost 50 more total TD's and another 7k yards as a receiver. Not to mention the intangibles people forget about. I don't think Dickerson or many other players had the kind of football mind that knew where everyone was on the field at all times like Faulk did. I don't think Dickerson was as headsup smart. Faulk does things for your team in crunch time like grabbing a woozy AZ Hakeem and lining him up for the next snap. You could send Faulk out on any route in the playbook knowing he could get open and most importantly catch the ball. You know the ball is secure in Faulks hands. I just don't remember those kinds of things from Dickerson. I remember Dickerson as a hold out for more money kind of guy rather than a restructure for the team kind of guy.

Hands down I would say Faulk is the better RB.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Man oh man how do you pick?? We have been very fortunate fans to have had these choices to pick from there are many teams that have never had a RB close to any of them and as someone else mentioned there are other guys that didn't even make the list of choices. Les Josephson, Tank Younger, Ollie Matson, Dick Bass, Lawrence McCuthcheon.

I loved the excitement of Marshall some of the greatest moves I've ever seen.
ED one of the all time greats with that upright style and speed never seen in a guy his size.
Bettis would have been the all time leader and we may have never seen Marshall without a bad relationship with the coaches (too bad) I believe he would have brought us a championship.
SJ39 what heart that guy gave his life to the Rams a shame the FO was in such bad shape during his tenure he should have another 5K yards with some help.

How do you pick one????

scifiman

To me hands down it is Dickerson. I saw him live and Faulk live too. They are 2 different type backs but there was a big difference and that was Dickersons rams team did not have much passing to worry the other team and the defense knew the rams were going to run the ball and Dickerson still just annihilated them. If you never really saw Dickerson live you just would not appreciate what he was and did. He was practically unstoppable. I appreciate everything that Faulk did and he was great at what he did. Faulk also had the luxury of having Warner at qb. Such a hard choice and not really fair to compare. They were both great.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Dickerson was the best running back. Marshall Faulk was hands down the best FOOTBALL player I've ever seen.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Steven Jackson. When you look at everything he did under arguably the least talented team in the NFL, you really have to wonder what he would have done had he had an actual offensive line or an offensive line that didn't play scrubs like Alex Barron at left tackle. This is a guy who did everything for the team, left it all out on the field, and never complained. While Faulk and Dickerson are both amazing backs who deserve their HOF statues, you really have to wonder what Jackson would've done behind Jackie Slater or Orlando Pace. Hell, the only time he had a decent offensive line was 2006, where he nearly broke the 2,500 mark for all-purpose yards and had ninety catches.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Steven Jackson. When you look at everything he did under arguably the least talented team in the NFL, you really have to wonder what he would have done had he had an actual offensive line or an offensive line that didn't play scrubs like Alex Barron at left tackle. This is a guy who did everything for the team, left it all out on the field, and never complained. While Faulk and Dickerson are both amazing backs who deserve their HOF statues, you really have to wonder what Jackson would've done behind Jackie Slater or Orlando Pace. Hell, the only time he had a decent offensive line was 2006, where he nearly broke the 2,500 mark for all-purpose yards and had ninety catches.

It really is a shame that he wasn't on a better team. He was 2nd in the league in rushing yards the year the Rams only won one game. Everyone knew he was the offense and the one to be stopped and he still almost won the rushing title. I think that says a lot. Like you said the only year he had a decent line he racked up a lot of yards. I don't think even a lot of Rams fans give him as much credit as he deserves. Put him on a better team and he is going to the hall of fame because I think he would have put up the numbers to be considered easily. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case. My pick is Faulk. The ultimate dual threat with the mind of a coach on the field.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
The question is, what would Eric Dickerson had looked like in his prime around 1999? For me it's the Marshal Plan, hands-down.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I watched both. Dickerson was the better more dominant runner, but Faulk could do it all. I reluctantly voted for Faulk.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
As dangerous as ED was, and how much I loved him, I still have to go with Faulk.
Faulk was just so great as runner and receiver. Also a great on the field coach. He has to be the most complete player I have ever seen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best 2 running backs I've ever seen and it was a privilege for me to have them both play for my favorite team. Id say Dickerson was the best pure runner and Faulk the most complete weapon. Doesn't matter who's 1 or 2. To me it's 1a or 1b

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Dickerson in '84

Game by game rushing totals

DAL
21 rush 138 yrds 6.6/carry
CLE
27 rush 102 yrds 3.8/carry
PIT
23 rush 49 yrds 2.9/carry
CIN
22 rush 89 yrds 4.0/carry
NYG
22 rush 120 yrds 5.5/carry
ATL
19 rush 107 yrds 5.6/carry
NO
20 rush 175 yrds 8.8/carry
ATL
24 rush 145 yrds 6.0/carry
SF
13 rush 38 yrds 2.9/carry
STL
21 rush 208 yrds 9.9/carry
CHI
28 rush 149 yrds 5.3/carry
GB
25 rush 132 yrds 5.6/carry
TB
28 rush 191 yrds 6.8/carry
NO
33 rush 149 yrds 4.5/carry
HOU
27 rush 215 yrds 8.0/carry
SF
26 rush 98 yrds 3.8/carry
-----------------------------------------
379 carries 2,105 yards avg 5.6 yards/carry
14 TD's
21 receptions 139 yards 6.6 yards/rec
0 TD's
16 games(avg 23.7 carries/game)

PhxRam

The thing with Dickerson was defenses knew it was coming. Theyknew it was coming and still couldnt stop it.

A55VA6

Legend
Marshall Faulk. I grew up watching him and to this day I've never enjoyed watching a RB play more than him. Dude was a boss.

jap

Legend
Eric "the Great" Dickerson was the fastest of the top RB's of his era---faster than Barry Sanders. I believe he has done at least a 4.3 40, but with his upright running style he never seemed to be going quite that fast. When Eric hit the pile, the whole pile would surge forward for 4-5 yards before he was stopped, like primetime Larry Csonka. When Eric was in full stride in the open field, you couldn't tackle him high: he simply ran through arm tackles like they weren't even there.

Marshall Faulk could have been a star as a receiver: his hands were that good. He truly was the X-factor for the GSOT. Great vision, ability to read defenses like a primetime QB, and
utilize his blockers. He was often unreal at picking up blitzes, and was a super reliable bail out option when the primary/secondary/etc. receivers were unavailable. Legitimate 4.4 speed entering the pros, he could embarrass defenders and DC's almost at will in his prime.

Top RB's are like elite artists. It's hard to determine who is best as they each have their unique styles. I appreciated both and am glad both grace the field for our Horns!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Out of those four.
  1. E.D
  2. M.F
  3. S.J
  4. J.B
" Lawrence McCutcheon would bump Jerome Bettis in my top 4 "

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I grew up watching Dickerson, but I believe I went Faulk. He's just so versatile, and he can do everything. Dickerson is probably the greatest pure runner ever IMO, but he couldn't do everything Faulk did. Faulk might have been a HOF receiver if he played that position.

You couldn't go wrong either way. Both are legends.